Help Please!! - 2016 Honda CRV Transmission Fluid Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I just changed the transmission fluid in my girlfriends Crv and was hoping someone could help me with some questions I'm having.

I warmed the car up to normal operating temperatures and drained the fluid. I got about 4.25 quarts out when I drained it. But I only put 4 quarts back into the transmission. I then preformed the shift level procedure and with in 30 seconds of turning the engine off I removed the check bolt and 3 or 4 old drops of transmission fluid drained out and that was it. I then stepped away a for a min or two and when I looked down the fluid was running out at a steady stream. I know the transmission fluid is at the proper level when gradually dripping from the check hole, but how long does that take.

QUESTIONS:
1. After doing the shift level procedure and pulling the check bolt, how long do you wait for the oil to run out?

2. Was I too quick at pulling the check bolt (20-30 seconds)?

3. Shouldn't the oil only run out of the check hole if it's too full, no matter how long you wait?

Just trying to figure out if it too low or full,

Thanks for your time and help,
Sam

I changed the fluid in my 2016 Civic coupe CVT and after running through the gears a decent amount came out immediately when I pulled the check bolt. After all was said and done i definitely felt that more came out than what i put back in. Idk if it was overfilled from the factory. FWIW I replaced the check bolt when the fluid slowed to a steady dribble.

Last edited:
Is the engine supposed to be ON or OFF when you remove the level plug ?

On our 2013 Accord, I warmed the engine and checked it at idle.
Easy peasey. The factory did not overfill the transmission.

ATF changes volume with temperature. So letting the drained fluid sit overnight to match the temp of the new fluid will give you a more exact measure for replacement.

Originally Posted by saginawmale50
ATF changes volume with temperature. So letting the drained fluid sit overnight to match the temp of the new fluid will give you a more exact measure for replacement.

I agree 100%. It expands greatly. Think about a transmission where you have a dipstick. Cold range is way down near the bottom and hot range is way up the stick.

I screwed this up on 3 of my cars that don't have transmission dipsticks . I drained them hot and put that hot exact amount back in only to find out I had overfilled them all.

Now I only do ATF changes at overnight temp so the fluid I am adding will be the same volume as what I drained out.

Honda asks you to check the fluid level with the ENGINE OFF and at normal operating temp. If you had just completed a drain and refill, the fluid will not be at normal operating temp. So, idle the engine until the radiator fan comes on, then shut off and remove the check plug.

Or you can just add the specified amount and you will be close enough. Clearly, these transmissions are not super sensitive to fluid level...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by The Critic
Honda asks you to check the fluid level with the ENGINE OFF and at normal operating temp. If you had just completed a drain and refill, the fluid will not be at normal operating temp. So, idle the engine until the radiator fan comes on, then shut off and remove the check plug.

Or you can just add the specified amount and you will be close enough. Clearly, these transmissions are not super sensitive to fluid level...
wink.gif

Thanks for your reply. From what I read from the Honda service manual, your suppose to move the shift lever through all positions while pressing the brake pedal firmly, and wait at least 3 seconds in each position. I did a little over 5 seconds through all gears twice.

Do think that wasn't long enough to reach normal operation temperatures?
Shouldn't the oil only run out if it's too full, no matter how long you wait after reaching normal operating temperatures?

Originally Posted by 444samc

Thanks for your reply. From what I read from the Honda service manual, your suppose to move the shift lever through all positions while pressing the brake pedal firmly, and wait at least 3 seconds in each position. I did a little over 5 seconds through all gears twice.

Do think that wasn't long enough to reach normal operation temperatures?
Shouldn't the oil only run out if it's too full, no matter how long you wait after reaching normal operating temperatures?

It can take minutes or as much as 30 mins for the cooling fans to come on, so the answer is no.

The oil will run out of the check hole if it the level is high enough. Oil expands when it is warm, especially transmission oil.

Our 19 Pilot 6 speed is a lot like our old 08 CRV. Generally I measure what comes out. Add the exact amount. Start the car till the fan comes on. Shut the car off and pull the dip stick. Add till it's between the marks.

I haven't done the Pilot yet but that's what I'm reading.

Originally Posted by JC1
Other question to the OP, were you on 100% level ground when doing the check.

About as level as I could get it. Maybe a 1/8" out of level on a 10ft run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back