Do you think most Millennials will be better or worse off than Boomers/X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worse.

Previous generations had pensions, cheap health insurance, cheap prescriptions, cheap housing, cheap cars, and things were a lot simpler.

Unless I get a job in the government, I'm basically guaranteed to not have a pension. Who knows if Social Security will even be a thing when I'm old. Housing values are ridiculous, cars are ridiculously priced, health insurance is crazy expensive and so are doctors visits and prescriptions, etc.

I think we will see a change in the way people live. Things will return to the way they were 100 years ago when all the poor immigrants arrived to the shores of America. More people in a house. More people living together to share costs. More movement to the cities and urban areas.

Healthcare and health insurance will have to incentivize people to be healthy. Cheap healthcare makes people lazy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
I think we will see a change in the way people live. Things will return to the way they were 100 years ago when all the poor immigrants arrived to the shores of America. More people in a house. More people living together to share costs. More movement to the cities and urban areas.

Healthcare and health insurance will have to incentivize people to be healthy. Cheap healthcare makes people lazy.

If you look at this list of the top causes of death, I don't think being lazy is that big a factor. Although i suppose lots of heart disease is from being overweight.

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer's disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

Im just older than being a Millennial.

I have somewhat of an issue calling any generation the greatest, when considering the environmental and other ramifications of some of their actions. The Baby boomers are somewhat the result of that situation and choices. Their kids are Millennials.

Im no fan of the whiny, "I deserve" outlook of many of these Millennials - effectively detached from the realities of life. But I also am sickened by the same behavior set by their parents. I suspect that much of that detachment of reality reflects upon the parenting.

The actions of their parents and the parents' peers create the situations that they are facing.

The way Ive observed it to work is that the great grandparents often had nothing. The grandparents (WWII generation) amassed something, were frugal, etc. We destroyed the industrial might of Europe and the Far East, so their fortunes grew. The kids inhereted those good fortunes and their parents' estates. Not that such made all of them millionaires; believe most millionaires are still first generation. But they did well. Theyre still holding that wealth, while allowing unfunded liabilities, engineered wealth redistribution, etc. to occur. Lifestyles and other considerations meant longer life, longer need to work, and longer before they can move ahead of their own accord - effectively, blocked.

So now we have endless unfunded liabilities, crushing taxes, a necessity to see the elders' net worth propped by bloated market and real estate values. "Efficiencies" in corporate America result in offshoring of jobs and reduction of benefits. So one generation benefiting off the next.

The young supporting the old is nothing that hasnt happened before; but the difference is that people live longer, they expect a certain standard of living, they expect rising markets and net worth, and all of that is a the expense of the next generation. And now its at the expense of their own kids. Parents strove to see their kids live better than they did. Now Im not so sure thats the mainstream scholl of thought, realized or not.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

If you look at this list of the top causes of death, I don't think being lazy is that big a factor. Although i suppose lots of heart disease is from being overweight.

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer's disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

No one gets out alive. We're all going to die of something.

I'm surprised to see cancer almost as high as heart disease and influenza and suicide that high.

I

I'm surprised to see cancer almost as high as heart disease and influenza and suicide that high.

So many people are surviving heart disease for longer periods that they live long enough to get cancer and other comorbidities, and vice versa.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Worse.

Previous generations had pensions, cheap health insurance, cheap prescriptions, cheap housing, cheap cars, and things were a lot simpler.

Unless I get a job in the government, I'm basically guaranteed to not have a pension. Who knows if Social Security will even be a thing when I'm old. Housing values are ridiculous, cars are ridiculously priced, health insurance is crazy expensive and so are doctors visits and prescriptions, etc.

I hope you are putting away at least 10-15% of your income into your own IRA and/or personal investments.

Take command of your future. Don't wait for someone else to do it for you.

Here's my take on this.

I'm 30. I have a steady job in finance and have been working for the same company for four years now.

I went to college for four years, had student loans and paid them off once I started working. I then started saving for a house, retirement, etc.

I'm afraid to buy a house due to job security. I'm lucky and work for a great company with very good benefits, but I feel like I could be fired at any moment and replaced with someone cheaper. It's sucks, but unless you work for the government, that's just the way it is. Even then, with tier 6+ retirement, it's not all that great.

I'm not sure how an average boomer would be doing in their 30s, but every boomer I know owned a home, was married with kids, and is now either retired or is still working for the same company (government) they were in their 30s. There are also some still working in their 70s.

The average net worth of someone my age is still negative. Add student loans on top of that with an average salary and it's very hard just to make a start, let alone rise to the top in your field.

I don't feel bad for people who blow through their cash flow on consumer goods. That's their own stupidity. But those of us who paid our dues just to get into the field, only to be stepping on eggshells every day just isn't healthy.

I guess you just have to do the best with what you have, where you are, right now. I forget who said that but it's a good quote.

Worse.

LOL. What a load.

Not all previous generations had a pension. My parents certainly didn't. None of my grandparents did.

All the "cheap" stuff was priced comparably to the average annual income. Just as it is today. Except for appliances/electronics, those were much more expensive as a percentage of income than today.

Things were simpler, people died regularly from what are easily treatable ailments today.

They didn't spend every waking moment staring at a screen like most kids do today. They were out working hard.

Most people want better/easier for their kids than they had it.

Millennial here, I would say that we will have it worse off in the grand scheme of things. This generation expects everything on a plate in the least amount of time.

Correlation: Not all, but a lot of today's parents don't make their kids work hard enough for things in order to appreciate the things they have. Instead they are given everything and therefore expect everything in life to be laid at their feet like a king or queen.

I do think young people have it tough with housing because the housing market is getting rediculous. If you don't have a good education and a good job, it's going to be rough buying a house where the good paying jobs are located.

Originally Posted by ZZman
I mean financially, health, security etc...

I think if things don't change they will be worse off.

I feel for my kids.

I know I'm far better off, but personal variance is huge, was for Boomers, too.

All that aside...
...home interest rates are in the 3's and 4's, when Boomers were buying, they were in the 13's and 14's, and higher!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Most people want better/easier for their kids than they had it.

Millennial here, I would say that we will have it worse off in the grand scheme of things. This generation expects everything on a plate in the least amount of time.

Correlation: Not all, but a lot of today's parents don't make their kids work hard enough for things in order to appreciate the things they have. Instead they are given everything and therefore expect everything in life to be laid at their feet like a king or queen.

I do think young people have it tough with housing because the housing market is getting rediculous. If you don't have a good education and a good job, it's going to be rough buying a house where the good paying jobs are located.

You're not kidding about the housing market... sold our house for 20k more than I paid for it 4 years ago. All I did was add laminate hardwood floors in the living room and hallway, and put in stainless steel appliances (all scratch and dent models). Area it was in was best described as "not great, not terrible."

I'm at the tail end of the millennial generation, my wife is in that gray zone between them (3 years apart). I totally understand we are the exception and not the norm, but I'm a firm believer in there are opportunities out there, just most don't want to do them. I've tried getting "friends" jobs and have heard the following excuses: It's not climate controlled, it's dirty, too many hours.... They want the easy way out. I work 50-55 hours a week, but it allows us to live comfortably on a single income so my wife can stay home and raise our kids.

I know many old and young people who don't have financial control of their life. No 401k, no emergency money, CC debt etc.

Many younger folks like to complain about the past generations.

They need to stop complaining and stop listening to fools on TV that talk about giving them everything free.

These idiots protest at Occupy Wall Street and want the life it took the older generation years to obtain through HARD WORK.

Free healthcare, free college, free housing, free puppy dog, free Starbucks refills, free iPhone, free..., free...., free...

smirk.gif

Worse.

As a percentage of income, their houses were about the same, their cars were much more expensive.

But their homes were small ranches, maybe 1500 square feet, while the average now is a two story and much larger.

If they bought in the 1970s and 1980s, interest rates were as high as 15% on their mortgages, making their houses much more expensive.

Their cars lacked seatbelts, airbags, ABS and got a fraction of the MPG, while needing a tune up every six thousand miles, oil change every three thousand, and tires every fifteen thousand. Most were delivered without AC. So, cars were much more of a luxury item, and ate up far more of their budget.

While killing and maiming them at a far higher rate.

They weren't cheap, and today's cars are far more efficient, safe and luxurious.

For several times what you spend on a 50" LCD TV, they had black and white with three channels.

Nobody had a microwave.

Their health insurance was cheaper because things like MRI, CT scans, and most of today's drugs didn't exist. A person who got sick was far more likely to die (my grandfather died of a blot clot at 55. I lived through it at 52, and have the advantage of Xarelto, which didn't even exist a decade ago), so the health care cost was much cheaper.

They didn't have your cell phones.

Or your internet.

Or the convenience and low prices of big box and Amazon shopping.

Air fare cost about as much as a new car, so they didn't travel they way you can.

Most companies didn't offer pensions, though bigger ones did, that's a myth. Further, if those companies went under, so did your pension.

The tax code didn't allow for tax free savings growth. You have both IRA and 401(k) options, products of the 1980s. Assets that you retain and control, so your employer's failure doesn't cause your financial ruin.

You're in control of your future in a world where information is free and available, you have control of your financial assets, you can buy goods cheaply and easily, you can travel cheaply, and if you get sick, or injured, doctors are able to perform what should be considered miracles to save your life and fix you back up.

We live in amazing times. We are far more wealthy than previous generations, when you consider what we take for granted.

Last edited:
The ones that realize NOTHING is free will do far better than those who don't...

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Many younger folks like to complain about the past generations.

Heh, makes 'em like the past generation complaining about the succeeding generation I guess.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Worse.

Most companies didn't offer pensions, though bigger ones did, that's a myth. Further, if those companies went under, so did your pension.

The tax code didn't allow for tax free savings growth. You have both IRA and 401(k) options, products of the 1980s. Assets that you retain and control, so your employer's failure doesn't cause your financial ruin.

You're in control of your future in a world where information is free and available, you have control of your financial assets, you can buy goods cheaply and easily, you can travel cheaply, and if you get sick, or injured, doctors are able to perform what should be considered miracles to save your life and fix you back up.

We live in amazing times. We are far more wealthy than previous generations, when you consider what we take for granted.

Interesting point.

Something that has bugged me for a while is this: 401k plans are great. But there's nothing stopping someone from saving up some cash until they enough to invest in an index fund, and then setting up direct deposit going forward from there. A 401k plan has tax incentives, plus (often) matching contributions from one's employer--but nothing is stopping one from saving if a 401k isn't available. Due to loss of tax advantages and matching contributions, a "personal" account might not grow as fast as a real 401k--but some growth would trump the alternative.

There's always Roth IRA's too.

I don't recall this much talk about saving for retirement as a kid nor teenager. Maybe I was the typical oblivious teenager. Dunno. But I think retirement saving & knowledge about how to save for retirement is better than ever. As we know, inflation has kept car costs on an even keel; housing has shot up so that is a downside that can't seemingly be controlled (short of just living cheaply). That would leave college costs as the one thing that the upcoming generation has control over. And IMO is what they need to keep in mind going forward.

Every older generation complains about the younger generation. Always have. I'm a generation X. My boss is a baby boomer. He has stopped hiring "grunt" help in the summer when we are busy. He is fed up with them being late, playing on their phone on company time, leaving early and complaining about things we have both had to do.
Had a young couple a few weeks ago in for an AC problem. Car worked great for us. We told them that when it stops working open the hood and see if the clutch on the compressor is going in circles. The guy told us that was not his job! I can't fix it if it works every time I see it.He was not willing at all to help us with their problem And expected us to fix it when it's working.

Originally Posted by spasm3
You seem to like the , some one has it better , easier, than someone else, discussions.

I like many different discussions. But to your point I do.

That is part of life and our experiences. Our joy and pain.

Some have connections, some don't.
Some inherit lots of money and some don't.
Some have physical, mental, intellectual, emotional issues, some don't.
Some had good family/mentors, some don't.
Some have discipline, some don't.
Some live in good areas, some don't.
Some can afford to move for jobs, some don't.
Some chose the few high paying careers, some don't.
Some will have good luck, some don't.
Some will suffer many tragedies, some don't.
Some take risks, some don't.
Some suffer addiction issues, some don't.
Some have a good education, some don't.

Some do have it better and easier. My discussions often lean towards how wide should the gap be between those who are doing well and those who aren't. Should it grow wider or narrower?

The creation of a strong middle class was a good thing. As a boomer I benefitted from it. How do we grow it or will it shrink? How will technology, automation the global economy etc.... affect Millennials and beyond.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by spasm3
You seem to like the , some one has it better , easier, than someone else, discussions.

I like many different discussions. But to your point I do.

That is part of life and our experiences. Our joy and pain.

Some have connections, some don't.
Some inherit lots of money and some don't.
Some have physical, mental, intellectual, emotional issues, some don't.
Some had good family/mentors, some don't.
Some have discipline, some don't.
Some live in good areas, some don't.
Some can afford to move for jobs, some don't.
Some chose the few high paying careers, some don't.
Some will have good luck, some don't.
Some will suffer many tragedies, some don't.
Some take risks, some don't.
Some suffer addiction issues, some don't.
Some have a good education, some don't.

Some do have it better and easier. My discussions often lean towards how wide should the gap be between those who are doing well and those who aren't. Should it grow wider or narrower?

The creation of a strong middle class was a good thing. As a boomer I benefitted from it. How do we grow it or will it shrink? How will technology, automation the global economy etc.... affect Millennials and beyond.

I think if you look at the successful people, especially those who were not born into success, you will find they do not focus on the above issues. They do not limit themselves. In fact those who have little frequntly are the greatest success stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back