L5P Duramax UOA #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

This is my 3rd sample for this truck from Blackstone labs. 39,451mi on truck and 5,275mi on Shell Rotella T4 15w40. UOA came back really nice, although my Regen cycles increased in frequency using this particular oil. That I did not care for. I switched to T6 5w40 and have already noticed more distance between Regens along with a more stable/consistent/predictable soot reading when all things stayed pretty consistent (fuel refill station, driving habits, temperature, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a hard time editing this post. Here's the sample

Screenshot_20190821-052641.png

Originally Posted by BlakeB
You might want to edit your personal info out of the report.

Thanks BlakeB, totally spaced on that one. Good catch.

GM put out a bulletin for the 2019 L5P recommending a 7,500 mile, 300 hours or once per year oil change after some people were reporting that their OLM was counting down too quickly. My 2017 is well over 300 hours and still shows 28% on the OLM. My dad's LML routinely goes ~500 hours between oil changes following the OLM.
We both make daily short trips of less than a mile where the engine doesn't get up to operating temperature, but the OLM doesn't seem to care.

Well it's under warranty, so I get the concern ...
But the data is telling you that the wear rates are really low for all metals; that's typical of a Dmax.
There's no contamination to speak of.
Longer OCIs are certainly a doable thing. After all, you're paying for the data. Don't ignore it.
If you choose not to alter your OFCI plan (extending out), then I'd recommend you quit doing the UOAs. No sense spending money on data you're not going to use.
After all, it's not like Dmax engines are known to grenade from normal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back