Do you think most Millennials will be better or worse off than Boomers/X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If something happens to their cell phone...worse. Timing is everything. I work with a millennial. When he graduated from college in his words "there were no jobs" for what he was trained in. My niece had the same issue. She had to wait several years to use her degree and land a full time teaching job. I have hope for some. Had a young man went to work right out of high school for local sprinkler system company. This Spring he turned sprinkler system on, replaced some heads, seemed to have his head screwed on straight. Others, I just do not see the drive to succeed. It is all about the cell phone.....

Rough things for them is college 2 - 4 yr or trade school is required and the college price has risen massively.

I walked out of university making what I paid to attend. Same place costs 3x the amount you get paid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
ZZman,

Will your grandchildren be as successful as you ?

Will your grandchildren be as educated as you ?

Hard to say. In some respects I think so. In others I am not so sure. One of my children and her husband are doing better than the wife and I ever did financially. But their students loans and childcare costs are crushing.

My other daughter and her husband are probably going to struggle their whole life.

I have one grand child that is only 1. Hard to say how someone will turn out in the future. Too many variables.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Look ZZMan, you bring up too many threads about old vs young people. Be thankful you have a pension as those went away unless you have a government job or the very rare job in the private sector that offers one.
He seems to be generationally curious lately! Or stirring the pot...IDK.

His first thread was from a politically charged self described "Disrupter" group. I thought politcis were frowned upon here?

I think the key for Milennials is working smarter not harder. The hard worker middle class is going away replaced by the smarter worker or service worker.

The era of good paying jobs for the unskilled or uneducated is pretty much history.

Mastery of tech and using it is smarter. Investing is smarter as others work make you money.

Back when I was raising the kids childcare was cheap, my healthcare out of pocket costs were almost zero. I graduated from community college almost debt free.

Of course slightly before my time one breadwinner was enough for a good life.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Look ZZMan, you bring up too many threads about old vs young people. Be thankful you have a pension as those went away unless you have a government job or the very rare job in the private sector that offers one.

His first thread was from a politically charged self described "Disrupter" group. I thought politcis were frowned upon here?

Seems you are the one pushing the "P" issue. It was about bankruptcy increases in the elderly population. This was easily found on many websites.

They will have much less freedom, a much more legislated lifestyle with a much more expensive cost of living , fewer political options, a shorter lifespan , a greater likelihood of never driving while also being more likely to get into a car accident and many turd sandwiches leftover from the previous generation

Originally Posted by gfh77665

His first thread was from a politically charged self described "Disrupter" group. I thought politics were frowned upon here?

Lots of things are frowned upon here. Usually it's not even politics that get threads locked, just seems like if there's bickering and arguing going on, it's enough to get it locked.

Boomers had better education and were taught how to think instead of how to react. So worse off.
laugh.gif

The problem we have today which most everyone is guilty of is greed. Greed is everywhere in ways you don't even notice it.

Big pharma seeing how much they can charge for curing HEP C, the new and improved blood pressure pill, pill this, pill that which cost a fortune.
Medical procedures and medical cost in general.

The cost of housing in many parts of the USA.

Wages for many occupations. Many occupations which are needed to keep America running. People tend to bash such workers and say, get an education if
you wanna do better. Yeah, cause we need 10 million more MD's..... right?

.......... .

Originally Posted by ZZman
I mean financially, health, security etc...

I think if things don't change they will be worse off.

I feel for my kids.

In terms of health, I think they will be better off. So much is being learned about disease and its prevention as well as treatments and cures.
Security?
Probably at least as well off. The government and independent hackers continue to teach us much about security while anything beyond the low intensity far off wars we now see seems unlikely. Locally, things are really no worse than they've ever been and your chances of being murdered or assaulted in any American city today are less than they were thirty years ago. Of course, there is no protection against an unexpected act, but that has always been true.
Financially?
Who knows? One of my sons is employed in a decent paying job with no prospect of layoffs ever. The other earns more money in a sector subject to rapid decline when the cold winds of the next recession blow.
OTOH, hasn't it always been thus?
Life has never been easy and being in the right place at the right time and having the right connections have always played a significant role, probably more than claiming merely to work hard.

The one really cool thing for Millennials is the ability in many jobs to work from home, a Caribbean island etc..

Better I think but it's hard to lump them all in one, no different than baby boomers. The millennial's I know are on track to pay their house paid off in there 40's with investments already started. My generation was the truly screwed generation.. no idea what's called these days.

You seem to like the , some one has it better , easier, than someone else, discussions.

I think you answered your own thread with your response below.

Originally Posted by ZZman

I have one grand child that is only 1. Hard to say how someone will turn out in the future. Too many variables.

Last edited:
I make way more money than my millennial children - so I'm paying reparations to them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back