Shell Gas Truck oil...Im giving it a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
TBN is not linear.

It was for the guy who already posted he did a uoa and had but a couple tbn left at 4500 miles on this exact oil. Talk about the broken record?

Originally Posted by noclutch
Regarding the TBN, mine went from 6.7 (per Subies voa) to 2.7 in my uoa after 5k miles in my ‘18 EB 3.5. At which point I changed it. I'm not qualified to comment on projected longevity past 5k of this oil though.

This one? Seams like the tbn is behaving exactly like one would think along traditional lines. Low starting tbn means low interval. Why give advice that may be detrimental with no qualifier, like hey double check that with a uoa? If the fella above kept going to 10k miles, what would be the guess on how much tbn he would have left? I'd rather play it safe seeing how bad the consequences of acid is to metal.

BTW, since the OP brought up Amsoil the starting tbn is 12.5 even after the reformulation, and as we all know that is a long interval oil if someone wishes it to be. Seams kinda linear to me? lol

Last edited:
The heading on the Shell document is spin city - so now that these LT engines are no longer shared with cars - they are "truck engines" - simple !
So all that class 8 knowledge gets rolled into a Dexos 1 ? Ohh-K

Originally Posted by panthermike
Looking forward to seeing how it does in an EB engine. I'll probably be running this oil in both our vehicles to.

That's what the OP has
2018 Lincoln Navigator with a 3.5 Ecoboost

This is just a test period of 4500 miles. The goal is to find an oil which fits the engine. For example, Mobil 1 makes great oils and comes as factory fill in many cars, but in test after test in the Ecoboosts the oil shears too much. So IMHO Mobil 1 products not a good fit.

Amsoil is an exotic oil company. A bunch of engineers got together and said lets make the greatest oil...cost not an object! However its $40 per gallon! Its great oil but its not cheap. Most other oil makers have 5 quart jugs at Walmart for nearly $20.

The Rotella T6 5W40 Blackstone says it outpaces Amsoil 5W30. Amsoil says of course it does because its a 5W40. I know other guys run it, lots of guys but Im not comfortable throwing it in mine. Thus I took a look at the Rotella Gas Truck oil...

Originally Posted by Navi
Today it gets poured into the crank...Im going to send out virgin oil and used samples to BlackStone...

[Linked Image]

I sent out a sample of RGT from my Gen2 3.5L EB that I put 7,200 miles on. I'm expecting my Blackstone report back any day now. This is the longest OCI I've done on my 3.5L. I usually go around 5-6K but I had a work trip come up I needed to drive for and had to put an extra 1,500 miles on.

I'm expecting pretty decent results but I guess we'll see. After reading your other thread about phasing issues, I'm probably going to be more stringent with my 5-6K mile OCI from now on.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
I'd be curious to see the UOA results of Gas Truck vs Rotella Multi-Vehicle, both 5w30

voa truck and gas is posted, this was multi vehicle in 2017, glowing difference is moly.. if I'm running anything in an eco boost, it will have a good dose of moly.

[Linked Image from bobistheoilguy.com]

I got some questions answered with google and emailed Shell Tech Support. Why not T6 5W40 for your vehicle? It might damage the cat because of phosphorus. Its really designed for diesel engines. Email sent to Shell technical.

In a Subaru thread he talked about his shearing with Valvoline 5W30 full synthetic. So basically Valvoline and Mobil 1 5w30s going to shear to 5w20 weights.

Im sending the Amsoil sample to lab tommorrow.

Both the Valvoline and Mobil 1 come in at around 10.8 cst but the Shell is 11.8 cst so there is wiggle room.

Both Mobil 1 and Valvoline make great oils but the question is are they a good fit for GDI turbo engines. In Europe they use 5W40 so the point of shear is moot.

I will get the results back on Amsoil in days but the Shell will take more time as I want to see it at 4500 miles.

Also Im not a Shell fan. I would have never considered it, however, if it works it works...

Originally Posted by PimTac
TBN is not linear.

Nor does a TBN value speak to retention..as I said in another thread recently, TBN isn't everything.

This 👇from SAE website..

"Historically, the characterization of fresh and used diesel engine lubricants has been based on a limited number of analytical techniques. One of the most important analyses has always been the total base number (TBN) measurement. Although the TBN measurements are informative, easy, and quick, it can be misleading to base the judgment of an oil's performance solely on one criterion.
This paper offers observations from a field test, showing that some detergent approaches gave unacceptable performance even though the TBNs were at an acceptable level. It is hypothesized that some detergents do not effectively neutralize all acidic species present in the lubricant, thereby reserving their own base while in fact the oil may no longer provide sufficient protection against bearing corrosion. This hypothesis is supported with bench and engine test data. It is recommended that, at a minimum, total acid number (TAN) measurements be included in any analysis. Where time and cost allow, wear metals content, oxidation, soot content, and viscosity should also be evaluated."

SAE - TBN

Last edited:
Here are my UOA numbers on Amsoil XL 5w-30 from my 3.5L if you're curious.

MI/HR on Oil 6,666
MI/HR on Unit 30,577
Sample Date 4/20/2018
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ALUMINUM 4
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 30
COPPER 15
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 105
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 3
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 1
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 84
SILICON 14
SODIUM 12
CALCIUM 1371
MAGNESIUM 1051
PHOSPHORUS 725
ZINC 848
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 59.5
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.07
Flashpoint in °F 395
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % TR
TBN 4.4
TAN
ISO Code

Save your $ and time and forget about uoa. People on bitog change their oil regularly and uoa will be another unneeded task on your to-do list!

Originally Posted by burla
voa truck and gas is posted, this was multi vehicle in 2017, glowing difference is moly.. if I'm running anything in an eco boost, it will have a good dose of moly.

HDEOs customarily lack moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back