Noisy idle in gear but not neutral or park

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed this a lot with my car lately especially when waiting at a red light or drive-thru for example.

If I am idling in gear with my foot on the brake it sounds like the engine is about to blow up but it smooths right out and sounds perfectly fine if I throw it into neutral or just park it. I checked the transmission fluid level and everything else while I was in there, everything was where it should be.

Video of the sound, ignore the SnapChat caption because I took the video before I realized the sound goes away if I put it out of gear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7YeL3Phep4

Again, it only sounds like this if I idle in gear with my foot on the brake, but sounds normal if out of gear.

Last edited:
Get a Honda, they said.
They're reliable and low-maintenance, they said.

I don't have the tools to change them myself or the time since I'm back in school now.

Here goes another paycheck.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
That's just a heat shield rattling. Also there could be an exhaust leak.

It gets worse in drive because that puts some strain on the drivetrain, the car is trying to move forward except you're holding the brake.

If you open the hood and either peek through the gap or have someone else drive, hold the brake on firmly and shift back and forth between drive and reverse. See how much the engine jumps around and what other noises you hear. Bad mounts will have it moving around a lot.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
Get a Honda, they said.
They're reliable and low-maintenance, they said.

I don't have the tools to change them myself or the time since I'm back in school now.

Here goes another paycheck.
smirk2.gif

210K miles! A maintenance item.

Sounds like the internals are good.

Small potatoes compared to engine/trans

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back