Jeep's, Late YJ/Early TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to the BITOG experts.

Looking for thoughts & what to look out for on these. I had an early TJ, but that was a long time ago and I am looking for experience on how they've aged, Achilles Heels, etc.

Better Half wants a Wrangler for the lake house. She's had enough of driving our Series III (...and I really can't blame her on that, it is primitive), and neither one of us like the later Wrangler versions as much. This vehicle will get maybe 500mi/year, may never have its top up, and its most pressing use may be dragging our dock up the lawn so we're comfortable w/ a very nice, moderate mileage, older one.

Like to hear of any for sale.

Thanks all.

Rust. That is what kills them in New England. Also be prepared to pay a pretty penny for one in nice condition with the 4.0L.

Got this 2006 with automatic and air I'm playing with. Only 76,000 miles and very clean underneath. Last year of the bulletproof straight six. Might cut it loose soon.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Rust, especially where you live. I have seen some really eaten up Wranglers.

Second would be the quality of any modifications. Most Wranglers that old are not going to to be bone stock. Make sure there's no hacked up wiring and the like.

Other than that, check the usual used car stuff.

Thanks all.

Atkovi, nice truck. Please keep me posted.

Chris, yes the YJ's are primitive, but fun, and much easier to live with than an old Series. As much as I like them, I'll focus on newer vehicles unless I stumble across something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back