Recent Topics
wix 2019 sienna oil filter cartridge fitment
by s2krunner - 02/23/20 02:19 PM
Urban Carry G3
by Gebo - 02/23/20 02:16 PM
Denso Iridium TT's are great
by jayjr1105 - 02/23/20 01:46 PM
Girl Scout question
by ffhdriver - 02/23/20 01:36 PM
MTD Snowblower issues
by 97prizm - 02/23/20 01:19 PM
OBD scanner
by NH73 - 02/23/20 10:18 AM
Oil additive and effects on oil analysis results
by MoneyJohn - 02/23/20 09:48 AM
More 6.7 PSD engine repairs
by mattd - 02/23/20 09:10 AM
How to get sediment out of heater oil tank?
by BAJA_05 - 02/23/20 08:37 AM
Oil Prices in Europe
by BBDartCA - 02/23/20 08:08 AM
Fury -Wilder 3?
by pbm - 02/23/20 06:41 AM
toro super recycler
by passgas55 - 02/23/20 06:05 AM
Chain style for ag tires
by puma4440 - 02/23/20 04:25 AM
2014 GMC Terrain 2.4L AWD
by Char Baby - 02/23/20 02:06 AM
Conventional VS Synthetic In The Winter Months
by BlueOvalFitter - 02/23/20 01:36 AM
Paint Splatter
by rrretiree7 - 02/23/20 12:54 AM
Newest Members
Lucase483, Chaucha, UofA, Jeffrey78, Markovchain
70788 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (2010Civic, 4WD, 74Widebody, 762fermeandyou, 928, 67ZL1, 14 invisible), 2,642 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics301,834
Posts5,203,586
Members70,788
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Determining base oil composition #5191167 08/19/19 09:50 AM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 644
J
Jimmy_Russells Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 644
Is there any way to do really do this?

For example here is information from Total Ineo Longlife 5w30 SDS

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It shows 20-30% hydrocracked... So what's the rest? I can't imagine it's 70% PAO?

Re: Determining base oil composition [Re: Jimmy_Russells] #5191183 08/19/19 10:08 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,606
B
BMWTurboDzl Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,606
I'd opine that their MSDS is incomplete or there's an error.


“It took untold generations to get you where you are. A little gratitude might be in order. If you’re going to insist on bending the world to your way, you better have your reasons.”

435i
Re: Determining base oil composition [Re: Jimmy_Russells] #5191185 08/19/19 10:11 AM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,229
H
hallstevenson Offline
Offline
H
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,229
SDS are not "ingredient lists". They only show hazardous components.

Re: Determining base oil composition [Re: Jimmy_Russells] #5191198 08/19/19 10:32 AM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 2,757
U
UG_Passat Offline
Offline
U
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 2,757
MSDS don't show the complete ingredients and percentages as it is treated as proprietary information.

If it was PAO in there, it would be listed, but it's not. So, it could be other mineral oils


2016 VW Tiguan|APR Stage 1|Neuspeed P-Flo|Osram CBI|Redline 5w30
Re: Determining base oil composition [Re: Jimmy_Russells] #5191295 08/19/19 12:59 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 97
D
Davejam Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 97
I'm surprised they even bother differentiating different types of oil, because the safety considerations are no different.
But what has been said already is true, this is a bad method of determining anything about an oil composition.

Re: Determining base oil composition [Re: Davejam] #5193308 08/21/19 07:21 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,128
G
Garak Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,128
Exactly this. Cleaning up and/or dealing with a fire between Group II and III and IV base stocks is the same. A Red Line spill or fire is the same as a non-detergent 30 spill or fire.


Plain, simple Garak.

2008 Infiniti G37 - Shell ROTELLA T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30, Wix 57356
1984 F-150 4.9L - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515
Re: Determining base oil composition [Re: Davejam] #5193329 08/21/19 07:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,229
H
hallstevenson Offline
Offline
H
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 3,229
Originally Posted by Davejam
...this is a bad method of determining anything about an oil composition.
It's a quite popular method of acting like a chemist for many around here.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™