So many oil changes, so little time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madeej11
Why do I prefer Lee brand jeans over Levi's or Wrangler? Or perhaps I need to list denim weight, quality or which dye is being used c'mon. I've noticed that you always pop your head up whenever Amsoil is mentioned and it's certainly not to commend them.
Yes I know, approvals, certs whatever are not there. Then again maybe your beloved Castrol 0w40 passes minimally. Lord knows it's like pulling teeth to get any info at all. What are they hiding? Put my trust in Castrol? Not with their reputation I won't. At least the lab Amsoil uses, Southwest Research, is pretty well beyond reproach.

So I take it that your reasoning is because you like the color of the Amsoil oil and your engine likes it. Those attributes are analogous to your Levis example.

It's OK if that's what it is, but be honest and say so.

Originally Posted by cwhard

Now that's the Viewpoint I want to take with my late model, close tolerance, fuel-injected engine. Second best is good enough for me! But hea man it's cheaper right? I'll just change it twice as much since it's half as good. Makes perfect (non)sense to me...

Second best in a relative competition. What you have here is a very close second in a field of top performers. Quantitatively, exactly HOW MUCH better is the 'best', in this situation, compared to the 'second best'?

It really depends on how wide the field is, and who is being compared. For example...

Look at this site: Top NFL rushing yards
Your top two are Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton, with Smith having a higher number of yards than Payton. Was he a BETTER rusher? Well, he did have MORE yards (18,355 vs 16,726), which is definitely an accomplishment, BUT he also did it over a longer career (14 years vs. 12 years) AND his average yards per carry is lower (4.2 vs 4.4)

My point? Just because Payton came up in 2nd place for total rushing yards doesn't mean he's just '2nd best' - I may be biased, but I grew up in Chicago and still consider Payton the best running back ever.

...but that's arguable, given all the different statistics, etc..

... and in a similar fashion, stating that Pennzoil is merely 'second best' is an arguable position... based of which statistic, specifically?

Finally, let's reconsider the 'best' vs. 'second best' argument. What if the comparison above was Emmitt Smith vs. .. say... Alonzo Highsmith, who ran a total of 1,195 rushing yards and 7 touchdowns. In this scenario, there's still a 'best' and a 'second best' and they are both definitely better running backs than you or me, but 2nd best is far, FAR worse than the 2nd best in the previous comparison.

.. or maybe a comparison between Emmitt Smith and me as running backs.. Hey, I played football briefly in high school. He's still the best.. but my 'second best' is paltry..

If you had to say, which of the above three best/second best scenarios compares to Amsoil/Pennzoil? Be honest.

Originally Posted by Linctex

The following is one of the stupidest comments I have read lately:

Makes perfect (non)sense to me...

What's stupid (and makes no sense to me) is that you think Pennz Ultra Platinum is an "inferior" oil in any measurable way.

NO, What's stupid is that you guys think Pennzoil is a fully synthetic product when it is not. It uses a Petroleum Base which makes it a synthetic blend. A decent blend, but a blend all the same. The proof is that people who use it would never attempt to push it past 7500 miles before changing it. It speaks volumes.

Like I said earlier, Stupid is as stupid does...

....NO, What's stupid is that you guys think Pennzoil is a fully synthetic product when it is not. It uses a Petroleum Base which makes it a synthetic blend....

Are other "synthetics" like Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge any different?

NO, What's stupid is that you guys think Pennzoil is a fully synthetic product when it is not. It uses a Petroleum Base which makes it a synthetic blend. A decent blend, but a blend all the same. The proof is that people who use it would never attempt to push it past 7500 miles before changing it. It speaks volumes.

You're showing your severe lack of technical knowledge right here with this post. Pennzoil's Gas To Liquid base is so close in performance to PAO that it truly can be called a full synthetic, it's not a blend at all. You're just regurgitating the same tired rhetoric that most Amsoil dealers push (not the respected Amsoil dealers we have here such as Pablo, but the typical ones seen in other venues)

Luckily most posters on here can see right through you and they've already put you on the list of posters "not to trust" so we won't be listening to you for any advice at all.
33.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex

The following is one of the stupidest comments I have read lately:

Makes perfect (non)sense to me...

What's stupid (and makes no sense to me) is that you think Pennz Ultra Platinum is an "inferior" oil in any measurable way.

Well, you're wrong again. I HAVE used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, which is a full syn (GtL - See Patman's response above), I HAVE gone well past 7500 mile OCIs on it, and have the stellar UOAs to prove it did exceptionally well.

Look in the mirror, Forrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back