Question about diagnostic procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few moths ago I discovered the wife's Equinox 2.4 is burning oil, as many of them do. Took it to the dealer, thinking it was the clogged PCV that plagues them. Dealer says he disconnected the breather tube, there was no change in the fuel trim, so that points to a clogged PCV. Does that sound like the correct way to diagnose it? Unfortunately, our VIN didn't qualify for the service bulletin to clean the clogged PCV orifice in the intake manifold, and they wanted big bucks to have them do the procedure. I pulled the intake manifold myself, and it turns out the PCV was not clogged. Glad I figured it out myself for the cost of Haynes book and a throttle body gasket instead of forking over $630 to the dealer to find out it wasn't the problem, but if it comes to doing the rings, for which we just received the class action letter, how do I convince them it was not clogged?

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
but if it comes to doing the rings, for which we just received the class action letter, how do I convince them it was not clogged?

I'd jump on the class action suit, a few paid off for me over the years. Dated pictures would help. Good luck convincing them with or without them. I would probably take it up with GM Corporate if they hassle you and try and get it fixed that way. Good luck.

Originally Posted by atikovi
What year and how much oil is it burning?

2013. About 1 quart/1000 miles.

You run the risk of them saying that is normal consumption unfortunately. In which case nothing will get done.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

You run the risk of them saying that is normal consumption unfortunately. In which case nothing will get done.

Didn't GM still have 100,000 mile powertrain warranty back then? (Assuming you're under 100K) If not, you're spending maybe $50-60 a year on adding oil. Assuming it doesn't get significantly worse, can't you just live with it?

I had a feeling 1 quart/1000 wasn't going to qualify for any repairs. I was more concerned about blowing the crankshaft seal because of the clogged PCV (per the service bulletin), but I guess if it's not clogged and the breather doesn't freeze up maybe that's not an issue. It does have positive pressure in the crankcase, which the dealer did confirm. We may just have to live with it, check the oil frequently, and hope it doesn't foul up the catalytic converter.

Have you tried a HiMi oil or stop leak for worn valve seals? Or even Restore to maybe restore some compression?.. you could also put a catch can on to capture that oil in the blow by to help keep oil in the cylinders to a minimum if you're having excessive blow by.

They do also make tuneable, full flow pcv valves if you're worried about one clogging due to excessive oil.

Last edited:
I posted on here about my wife's '11 Equinox's oil consumption a while back and didn't get any help. A few weeks ago we got the letter saying if your using alot of oil bring it back to the dealer and have them check it. If "they say" it's a bad motor they would replace the rings. Took it to the dealer and the said it was outside the dates for factory repairs, I about had enough of the dealer and the car, so this is what I did. Her car was using half a qt of oil in 750 miles. Last oil change with Mobil 1 EP 5w30, I only put 4 1/2 qts in. The other 1/2 qt, I used super tech 20w50 conventional oil. She then took a 400 mile ride down south, and a bunch of around town driving. At 1k miles, I checked the oil level. It was down 1/4 of a qt. This was in hot summer driving. At this point, I can live with 1/2 a qt consumption in 2k miles. I'm not doing a ring job on a car with 57,000 mikes on it, but 1 qt in 4k, if it works out that way is definitely doable.,,

The other little wrinkle that might deny any coverage is that I gave the receipts for the oil changes to my wife to keep in with the other receipts for her car. She informed me that she didn't know she was supposed to keep them
crazy2.gif
. She knows now. Soo.... Other than the dates and miles I wrote down, we may have a hard time proving we did in fact do all the oil changes. It was also bought used, although the Carfax showed it had all the oil changes done at the dealer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back