Discount Tire Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Oil Connoisseurs,

I have Pirelli P-Zero Neros 255/40/R19 on my Mustang which I purchased the extended warranty for at Discount Tire (DT). Today after about two years and 10,000mi on them, I noticed a sidewall bulge on my front passenger tire. I don't recall hitting any major pothole - but I believe this is a moot point as I'm covered by DT regardless.

My question is, given the nature of a RWD vehicle, would DT deal on TWO replacement tires? This is the first time I've had to utilize the warranty, I'm just thinking it's kind of pointless to add one brand new 10/32" tire into the midst of three other 6-7/32" tires. In other words, I fully expect them to cover one new Pirelli, but would they make a deal on two or is that not how it works? I'm also thinking I wouldn't want to go with the Pirelli's again - would they swap out the tire brand? For example, the Pirelli I need is $203 at DT right now, while the Continental Summers are $232 - wonder if I could just pay the difference. I know these all seem like great questions to ask DT - HOWEVER, I want to go in there with some knowledge before a salesman hassles me to get four brand new tires, etc. Has anyone had experience with the DT warranty?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
They might offer you a small trade-in credit on the other tire but it is never more than $50.

DT is not in the business of selling used tires so you have to ask yourself - why would they want to do this for you? It is an extremely low-margin business.

Thanks, I would be glad to accept something like this. I'm not impressed with the P-Zero Neros. Generally you replace RWD tires in pairs, so was just wondering if they might offer me something on the 2nd non-damaged tire.

Originally Posted by Maddog1337
I have Pirelli P-Zero Neros 255/40/R19 on my Mustang which I purchased the extended warranty for at Discount Tire (DT).

By extended warranty, you mean road hazard coverage, right?

Originally Posted by Maddog1337
Generally you replace RWD tires in pairs

Why?

I've read (more than once) that they are very helpful with their road hazard coverage/claims on AWD vehicles but not sure about 2-wheel drive vehicles where it's not as critical that the tires match.

Are you considering getting (4) tires (road hazard on one + pay for difference to Continentals) ? They do have some wiggle room on prices but with only 10k miles, it might sound more like you just don't like the tires and want them to help you replace them (inexpensively).

I quit using Pirelli tires a long time ago. Too many problems. Could not keep balanced, punctured easily, etc. Great traction, but went to Michelins that were pretty much trouble free. I have even raced on Pirelli Cinturatos. I think their quality went south after the tires were being made in Brazil.

Definitely ask them, though some tire shops will shave a tire down to the same diameter for about $25. Tire Rack will do this. Discount Tire won't so you'll need a 3rd party.

Discount Tire is great.
With all the building going on here, I had two flats in the last 6 months they repaired for free. Both on newer vehicles and with tires not bought there. Not a plug only. They did the uninstall and install, patched and balanced the tire.
Great customer service and I will buy there when necessary. Their tire pricing is usually good.

Update - went in and checked out pretty quickly. They didn't even look at the car - I was surprised. Tires coming in tomorrow, appointment tomorrow.

Charged me for two Conti summers, less the value of the damaged Pirelli. Waived the install fees. Charged me for two new warranty's on the Contis. Add various state fees/taxes. I was able to get them to give me a $25 trade in on my 2nd non-damaged wheel. I took it. Junker Pirelli down to 5/32". Total out the door ~$330 for two new Conti summers installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back