Who are the major players in the detailing world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The detailing arena is filled with so many products it is hard to keep up with. In the oil world you have several large base oil and additive suppliers. What companies are the producers in detailing products? Does a company like Meguiars or Mother's have their own in-house chemists? Do they operate like Amsoil and buy from different suppliers?

Originally Posted by buster
Does a company like Meguiars or Mother's have their own in-house chemists? Do they operate like Amsoil and buy from different suppliers?

Given that Meguiar's is owned by 3M, I would certainly expect them to have access to their own in-house chemists these days. 3M is also a major supplier into the detailing world.

Originally Posted by buster
Thanks QP. I didn't know they were owned by 3M.

Yup, since 2008.

But yeah, in general, this appears to be a fairly fragmented market, some companies only known for one or two products.

Similar to Lubrizol for oils, there are different component manufactures for various products. I took the AutoGeek detailing roadshow and we had an engineer who worked on the polish and compound abrasives that go into many products.

For instance, take an all-in-one compound, polish and sealant like Blackfire (not sure if he supplied Blackfire though).

He had a presentation where he showed how they design particles to degrade from course compound to finer polish over a certain working time with a DA Orbital so that they will work as designed to remove deeper swirls first, then fine then have the sealant remain.

Was fascinating to say the least...

Very interesting...

As nice as some of these boutique products are, I don't really know if the value is always there. For example, Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic spray. Probably fine for a daily driver.

CarPro, Gyeon, Sonax, Gtechinq, Griots, Adams etc etc etc. There are a LOT of professional detailing companies and some are better then others. To my knowledge bigger players have their on house chemists that constantly work on the products.

I personally is not stuck on one specific manufacturer and use different products from different manufactures (although, I don't switch them anymore and stick with what I've found to work the best).

Back in the day some folks discovered that the products sold by Poorboys World and Adams were actually private labeled products produced by some large chemical supplier. I almost want to say Chemical Guys was that large supplier, but I think that's incorrect.

Anyway at that time, you could buy PBW's 16oz QD+ detailer for $15 or go directly to the supplier and get the same thing (with a different scent) for $9. It caused a lot of drama at the time because you didn't have a lot of brands then.. you either had 3M/Megs/Mothers or you were trying these smaller names.

But anyway, I seem to recall that there are some brands who do have their own chemists: Sonnax, 1Z (now nextzett or something), Menzerna, FinishKare, Duragloss.

I used to work for a supplier of Duragloss products in the UK back in 2010. At the time Zaino was the rage and I bought a few products to try and realised they were all much the same as Duragloss. In-fact Duragloss 921 and 951 were exactly the same in colour and smell to Zainos equivalent products.

3M is definitely a big player in the sector. There are a lot of brands that are really private labels. Some were mentioned already. Who makes those products is anyone's guess. Chemical Guys makes some of their stuff and some is made by someone else. Mothers is independent as far as I know along with Sonax.

The Palm Beach Motor Group (Autogeek and Autopia) is a big player as well but do they make all their own stuff? Lots of brands come from them. Blackfire, McKees, Wolfgang, Pinnacle and more. Are they the same or different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back