AC Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 fiesta SE Hatchback 52,000 miles

AC Comp going out. Makes whirling sound like GM power steering pump going out. Drove 40 miles at 85 MPH 106 F. Heard clattering noise when I parked. Sounded like loose lifters. Turned AC off. Noise immediately went away. Has not made that noise since.

Back story: Bought new in 2013. AC was never great - figured that was normal for the Fiesta. Last year it began hardly cooling at all. Went to mechanic I trust. Found no leaks. Charged and serviced the system. The AC began blowing very cold air immediately after that. I think the system was never charged correctly in the factory, so that means there was not enough lubricant either, so because of that I think the compressor is going out.

(Heater also took a long time from brand new to throw out heat. This spring I flushed, changed and burped the coolant - now the heater throws of heat almost instantly - Was probably not burped correctly at the factory in Mexico)

I have 2 options for compressor, Motorcraft or Denso. Is Denso Nippon Denso, or a fake?

Read that condenser needs to be replaced if compressor goes out as the condenser can not be flushed. Something about some of them having spiral passages.

Do modern refrigerants need to be recaptured, like the old F 12 and 22? I might do the work myself, but recapturing the refrigerant would put that out of the ball park. I used to do AC and refrigeration decades ago. Would need to get new gauges. Guessing equipment to recapture refrigerant would be expensive.

If the Motorcraft and Denso are similarly priced....I'd go Motorcraft...if there is a big price difference...Denso should work well....

Get the motorcraft. We have several ford fleet vehicles and found that a majority of them were not properly charged from the factory FWIW

If the compressor is that noisey it's guaranteed that metal shrapnel is all through the system. If you don't get it all out it will happen again very soon. You need to replace the compressor,condenser,dryer ( most are part of the condenser) and expansion valve. The rest of the components must be flushed till clean.

As others have said, you need to evacuate the system, replace a bunch of parts, flush the system, evacuate for a vacuum leak check and then fill by weight.

I would bring it to someone. Replace any o-rings in the system while they are at it.

Not sure of clutch chatter. Does not make the really bad clattering noise that I described now. How to check for it? That would be nice if it was, I guess. Can the clutch be r & r w/out removing compressor from the car. You have to jack up the Fiesta, remove the wheel and stuff to get to the compressor.

If I remove the compressor, how do I flush the system?

Originally Posted by borgward

disconnect every fitting. Spray AC solvent into each component,followed by air. Then finish with brackleaner and air.

That or trade it off . Does it have the dual clutch transmission ?

You used to be able to purchase a flush that was essentially R-11 . I used that and an A/C flush kit ;

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/evertough-4771/tools---equipment-16488/rental-tools-16837/rental-tools--air-conditioning---cooling-19163/12095d53bcad/rental-tools-evertough-a-c-flush-kit-not-stocked-in-all-stores/67129/4700300/1991/chevrolet/caprice?q=a%2Fc+flush&pos=5

Best of luck to you , :)

PS I hold an EPA card for motor vehicle A/C .

Not dual clutch. 5 speed manual.

Confucius say person conceived in backseat of car w/automatic transmission grow up to be shiftless.

Not sure of clutch chatter. Does not make the really bad clattering noise that I described now. How to check for it? That would be nice if it was, I guess. Can the clutch be r & r w/out removing compressor from the car.

Go to YouTube and watch some compressor clutch chatter videos.

Yep, that sounds like it!

Thanks a lot for the tip.

It's going to the shop. Just for my info, not worried about driving to the grocery store, but is there a danger of it locking up and trashing the belt if I am traveling at 85 MPH for close to an hour. That's the speed limit, and I don't want to be driving much slower in heavy traffic. One time in the middle of the day I was on that road going 85, I saw a concrete mixer and an 18 wheel gravel truck gaining on me. I stepped on the gas. Did not want to be anywhere near those guys.

Originally Posted by Chris142

disconnect every fitting. Spray AC solvent into each component,followed by air. Then finish with brackleaner and air.

I find this thread very helpful as I am about to change the condenser on my daughter's Hyundai which she crashed (not her fault).
Last year I paid over $100 to recover and recharge on my other daughters Focus in order to change a leaky hose only to find that the compressor was shot and had to pay again. For this reason I am trying to learn about auto A/C recharging. drawing a vacuum etc.....

The Hyundai has probably lost it's Freon (I haven't turned it on because the radiator fan is jammed from the crash). I plan on replacing the radiator, fan and condenser and then vacuuming and recharging the system. How is PAG 46 added to a vacuumed system?

The bugaboo is the cost of the recovery equipment. Something like $400 and up. You can rent a vacuum pump at Home Depot and other places for not much. Buy one for $80. Check out Scotty Kilmer on YouTube. He has videos and good advice about doing the AC on your car.

If , by chance all the refrigerant has all ready leaked from the system , recovery of the refrigerant is not applicable .

Can not remember if that is what has happened to the OP's vehicle .

I purchased a vacuum pump years ago , when I took the swamp cooler out of Mom & Dad's house and installed a central , split system . Wise purchase .

Best of luck to you , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back