House buying opinions on houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I've decided to make one thread for every house I'm considering to get bitogs thoughts.

765 Virginia St, Saint Clair, MO 63077

202 E Frisco Ave, Leasburg, MO 65535

The leasburg house is a manufactured and is near railroad tracks the town is also a town of like 300 people. But it has plenty of room and offers nice parking and a great storage shed which is a big deal for me.
The saint Clair house is a house but is small but sounds decent.
Any thoughts?

Family, kids, schools?

Short term, long term?

Retirement, youngster?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Pick the home it will hold value or appreciate.

Mobile homes lose value.

I agree with you about mobile homes. They depreciate.

But I don't think that would be the case with a manufactured home. By that I mean a home constructed in parts off site and assembled on-site. My niece and her husband bought one and had it moved onto a foundation of their property. It's as nice as any stick-built new house. Nicer maybe. I don't see why that would depreciate.

With regard to being near railroad tracks, I live fairly close to a railyard and actually kind of like the background noise, but I'm over a hill from it so it's muffled, and I'm not close to crossings.

Make sure if you have to go over crossings that you have an alternate route. Large trains blocking crossings for extended periods of time is an issue in some spots around here. One neighborhood was on the news a couple years ago because the only way in/out was frequently blocked for long periods of time by trains.

user52165 said:
Family, kids, schools?

Family is all within an hour or so away.
Short term, long term? Long term

Retirement, youngster? Young still only 27.
Ill live here at least 15yrs. That's the plan.

Last edited:
Leasburg house is wayyy nicer. Even if it being a manufactured home means it needs more attention, you'll be in way ahead over the first house, as it needs a complete remodel.

My parents lived in Manufactured house 25 years. Problem areas were flashing on roof leaking. I could see staples on top of shingles. All of the plumping fitting were loose or leaked. Even when I sold it found a leak in master bedroom shower. Just looked like it was made quickly with cheap labor. That being said it was well insulated. Cheap to heat and cool. Worked out great for my parents. Sold it 10k above market. It is all about someone wanting what you have when you want to sell it.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Leasburg house is wayyy nicer. Even if it being a manufactured home means it needs more attention, you'll be in way ahead over the first house, as it needs a complete remodel.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not to mention it's over 1,000 sq. ft. larger. And if you are planning to live there 15 years, you will appreciate the room. 800 sq. ft. is a cracker box. You'll be out of room before you get unpacked.

Closeness to work is a big factor. How high are property taxes?

Would you own or lease the lot/land on the Manufactured home?

Are subsystems functioning properly ?

Well water HVAC 200 amp electrical?

I would look for option 3,

But St. Claire is a dump. Stick built houses vs Manufactured in this cost range is not an issue. IMO.

Last edited:
We would own the land. Both are on public utilities. Both are 200 amp electrical.

Why do you say saint Clair is a dump?

Well, having not walked the property , just first impressions of lot, house external and house internal.
Then the neighbors property seemingly just three feet away. But, If you like that St. Clair property you could offer 55K and use the 15K to upgrade everything.

It's all up to you of cours,. pictures don't tell the whole story,
then there is termite, ant, black mold, fungus and water damage to check into and consider.

I didn't like the popcorn ceilings in the 202 E Frisco Ave property, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ram_man

Double wide next to railroad tracks...

What would you upgrade in the leasburg house on Frisco drive?

IDK without walking it, But, What going on with the unfinished wall in the woman's bedroom? Water damage or just ??

Originally Posted by Alfred_B

Double wide next to railroad tracks...

How is that relevant to saint Clair. The saint Clair house isn't even near rail road tracks...‚...‚...‚ wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back