Tried Burger Kings "Impossible Whopper"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this to say about all of this stuff that's supposed to take the place of meat...
If someone wants to be a vegetarian or a vegan, they don't want a hamburger. Stop trying to make plants into burgers and other stuff we want to eat.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by XCIDMigs
Originally Posted by Bud
I bought a pack of the impossible burgers and grilled them at home. I normally buy brisket burgers and the fake was more expensive, so it was a one time trial. I thought they were good though. I don't eat burgers that often so would rather have the real thing. Nice that there is an option for non meat eaters.

Where did you buy a pack of non cooked Impossible burgers, they are not sold in markets yet that I am aware, just looked at the website again it doesn't mention that, only to commercial accounts for restaurants etc.?

I'll bet he means Beyond Burgers. I've seen them at our local supermarkets but they are pricey at almost $6 for two patties.

No thanks.

My mistake, they were beyond meat burgers.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
... 87 mg of cholesterol isnt ideal...

You know that even the man who set off the rocket to low fat diets admitted that dietary cholesterol does not correspond to circulating cholesterol levels.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
I have this to say about all of this stuff that's supposed to take the place of meat...
If someone wants to be a vegetarian or a vegan, they don't want a hamburger. Stop trying to make plants into burgers and other stuff we want to eat.

I'm more or less in this camp. If you want meat eat meat, but do so in moderation. To me, the value of a product like this is reducing resource use by offering meat-eaters an option to reduce meat consumption. Vegetarians or vegans don't need this type of product.

Honestly, Burger King made better burgers when they had the microwaves in the kitchen.

Once they quit microwaving the burgers (to ensure a hot sandwich, melted cheese) things have not been as great.

I liked their burgers now and then in the past. Then, everything started tasting like plasticized fat. They don't clean their equipment often enough. And, you get that aftertaste...

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Honestly, Burger King made better burgers when they had the microwaves in the kitchen.

Once they quit microwaving the burgers (to ensure a hot sandwich, melted cheese) things have not been as great.

Like I said earlier, you have to ask for it off the broiler in order to get a fresh one that's good. I remember when they had the microwaves. I'd order it off the broiler and then sometimes they'd stick it in the microwave afterwards. I had to yell at them to stop as there's no need when it's hot off the broiler.

Tried an Impossible Whopper last night, it was OK but sure didn't remind me of a beef burger.
Texture was all wrong and it sure didn't have the succulence of a good burger patty.
Reminded me more of a soy patty that was not quite so rubbery/chewy and tasted somewhat better than usual.

But, it was a decent meal and I'd order it again depending upon my mood.
I suppose I kind of missed the whole point by getting it with cheese... ;^)

I tried it yesterday, bought the impossible Whopper and a regular Whopper, then my girlfriend cut them in half and gave them to me. Too easy to pick out the impossible, the flavor isn't there of beef fat. The texture was also rubbery, I wasn't impressed. As already mentioned it's more expensive, the nutritional info isn't really better, I'm not sold.

Someone mentioned fungus, it's referencing the fact that the impossible burger uses genetically modified yeast to produce heme, an iron rich molecule that gives real meat it's red color and blood. That's the secret how the impossible burger can taste and "bleed" like regular meat, but you can't replace the beef fat, and fat equals flavor.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I don't like the smell and taste of beef so might give this impossible burger a go one day.

I eat whole foods plant based way of eating now,,,,beef stinks to me now...veggies and starches clean you and can reverse type 2 diabetes.check out forks over knives plant based groups on facebook..

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I don't like the smell and taste of beef so might give this impossible burger a go one day.

I eat whole foods plant based way of eating now,,,,beef stinks to me now...veggies and starches clean you and can reverse type 2 diabetes.check out forks over knives plant based groups on facebook..

More cow for me!
I prefer a good cut of top sirloin steak over the more expensive cuts of beef.
When I get my truck back I'm going to try the new Whopper.

I've been wanting to try it. More fat and/ or calories than beef and technically it's processed "meat" so there's no healthy reason to try it IMO.

I was at a tavern in Dublin, Ohio last June that had a burger made from it. When I asked about it, they had about a 6 week lead time because of Burger King getting the contract with Impossible Meats and them not being able to keep up with demand.

I feel so sorry for you misguided individuals entrusting doctors with your health. Doctors which have zero knowledge of nutrition or how to do anything other than manage disease with pharmaceuticals.

Somehow you've been made to believe that some processed slop is better to eat than real meat which we've been eating as a species for thousands of years. Just ignorant.

Which makes zero sense considering that ancient man and native tribes subsisted and continue to subsist on a diet comprised of nothing but meat without experiencing the current epidemic levels of modern disease.

Btw, Populations that have higher cholesterol live longer probably because it's a necessary part of every part of your body and brain and is required for existence. It is not a factor that contributes to any disease beyond effects of statiscal noise at a 1.1-1.2x multiplyer. Exogenous consumption does little to influence overall cholesterol levels. If anything that statin is just shortening your lifespan.

You'd be better off reducing your inflammation markers, reducing insulin levels and improving your hdl/ldl and total ratio. Stop eating so much carbohydrate to put it bluntly.

Also all animal agriculture is about 2% of greenhouse gas emissions in the USA. The USA healthcare system is 10% of greenhouse gas emissions. If only there was a way to get healthier and reduce emissions....like eating real food.

Not to mention plant based agenda only contributes to topsoil degradation caused by years of monocroping agriculture. It kills more animals than just eating them due to pest control and biodiversity loss.

And you know, cows eat air, not food grown on monoculture fields heavily laden with herbicides and fertilizers.

Originally Posted by Buzzinhalfdozen
Which makes zero sense considering that ancient man and native tribes subsisted and continue to subsist on a diet comprised of nothing but meat without experiencing the current epidemic levels of modern disease.

Did that ancient man and native tribes buy their meat from Publix or Piggly Wiggly?

Originally Posted by doitmyself
You are a brave soul to discuss fast food at BITOG. While you're at it, you should start a thread about buying a vehicle with credit, LOL. Maybe discuss some quality television?

That's funny
wink.gif

Fast food gets such a bad stigma but like everything you list if used in decent moderation does not hurt anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back