Genuine Mercedes-Benz 229.5 5W-40 Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local MB dealer is selling me this oil for the same price as M1 0W-40 (when it is not on rollback).

Does anyone know if this formula is still being produced by Mobil?

IMG_6738 (1).jpg

IMG_6737 (1).jpg

It would be great if you sent a VOA. I've always assumed that it was the same as the M5-40 which is about the same price as the MB oil.

Originally Posted by tig1
Cheaper version of M1??

It's not cheaper..about the same price as Mobil 1 M 5-40 which was made for MB.

Many people on here say that the MB 229.5 spec is a very high standard, one of the toughest. What about that spec makes people think highly of it??

Originally Posted by loneryder
Many people on here say that the MB 229.5 spec is a very high standard, one of the toughest. What about that spec makes people think highly of it??

#1 It's Mercedes Benz
#2 Lubrizol (Additive supplier) ranks it as one of the toughest specs relative to other Benz specs.
#3 You basically never hear about lubricant issues with regards to Mercedes Benz engines.

Some other highly regarded certs are. VW 504(Porsche C30) and Porsche A40,

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

#1 It's Mercedes Benz
#2 Lubrizol (Additive supplier) ranks it as one of the toughest specs relative to other Benz specs.
#3 You basically never hear about lubricant issues with regards to Mercedes Benz engines.

Some other highly regarded certs are. VW 504(Porsche C30) and Porsche A40,

Makes sense. My daughter has a 99 ML v6 with over 216,000 on it and it runs like a top. It's had a steady diet all it's life of Mobil 1 5-40M and 0-40. Most of the oil changes were around 5-7k by the same indy shop.

1. Most restrictive deposit control
2. Most restrictive max NOACK (10%).
3. Strict wear requirements
4. Strict oxidation requirements (though not as BMW LL01).

Those requirements require blenders to bland highly sophisticated oils.

Last but not least - spec requirements are updated somehow regularly . MB 229.5 of y.2009 < MB 229.5 of y.2017

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rollins
Last but not least - spec requirements are updated somehow regularly . MB 229.5 of y.2009 < MB 229.5 of y.2017

How do you know??

Originally Posted by The Critic
My local MB dealer is selling me this oil for the same price as M1 0W-40 (when it is not on rollback).

I will split the cost of a VOA with you if you will do it.

Originally Posted by The Critic

I will split the cost of a VOA with you if you will do it.

Sure. Which lab do you prefer?

T

There are millions of American autos on SM oil running just fine with many hundreds of thousands of miles. Great for MB to ask for the world for their boutique engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back