TPMS’s Giving Me Fits

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2007 GX470 I keep getting the dash light telling me my TPMS system is wacky. I check the air pressure (including the spare) and find my pressures are ok. I unhook my battery to erase the codes. A few days later here comes the TPMS light on again. I replace them all a year ago. There is something I must be missing. Any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
...is wacky? No specific tire given? Is 12 or 13 model years enough time for the antennae to begin failing?

My only knowledge in this area is of the earliest VW TPMS receiving antennae which were retrofitted to existing models, externally mounted (out of sight) and subject to failure due to exposure.

Could your Lex be so vulnerable? Were your replacement TPMS units of good quality?

Do you have to set a reference pressure or is it direct reading?
You should see what wacky stuff you have to do to calibrate an older Nissan - setting tires at the 4 corners at different pressures and more crazy stuff.

I like my VW now. Just set the cold pressure and confirm on the center display,. then it uses ABS wheel speed. No Direct TPM.

BTW , TPS is commonly throttle position sensor.

Last edited:
There's a light on the dash labeled "GONE WACKY" ?

Pulling the codes will tell you more what the problem is. Likely it is not getting any reading from one of the sensors, either because the sensor is bad or not registered to the car.

Is it a low pressure warning, or a system warning? A system warning means one or more sensors aren't transmitting data properly and need to be replaced. Low pressure means the sensors are transmitting, but one or more are reading low.

New or not, they can be damaged or have battery issues if they've sat on a shelf for a while.

Had a similar issue when I had the tires replaced on a vehicle a few years ago. At that time I opted to have all 4 tire pressure sensors replaced.
Turns out that the sensors (brand) that was used didn't work well in that vehicle. It would throw an error about not being able to read one of the 4 tires always after 2 miles of driving.
After a month of fighting with it, I took it back to the shop that originally replaced the tires and monitors, and they replaced them with another brand that (according to them) was "faster" to send a signal. Never had an issue after that. Apparently the sensors would send the signal after the receiver in the vehicle was ready for it and the receiver interpreted that to mean the sensor wasn't sending a signal at all.
When the TMPS error came up I could stop, restart the car, and it would clear itself and not come back until the next time the car sat overnight.

My 2013 VW and my wifes 2015 Audi do not have TPMS sensors. They use the ABS wheel sensors and when a tire is low on air, it rotates at a different rate and trips a light on the dash.
I don't know what Kira is talking about.

He said earliest ( applications) but that doesn't help the OP.

I look for youtube videos at this stage of frustration
smile.gif

I guess I should be calling my issue a "TPMS" issue. I replaced them all with new Denso sensors.

I'll get a code reader and get more detailed info. My wife is riding me about that "Tire with the Exclamation Point".

Maybe I need to read the manual (LOL) and see if I need to do something else after I have inflated the tires to the proper pressure.

Its not clear to me what exactly you've done, but if they are new sensors I believe you need to program them with the vehicles system.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My 2013 VW and my wifes 2015 Audi do not have TPMS sensors. They use the ABS wheel sensors and when a tire is low on air, it rotates at a different rate and trips a light on the dash. ...
That's a much more sensible system than the overly complicated, wacky, expensive-to-maintain kind Toyota (=Lexus) uses.

Originally Posted by Davejam
Its not clear to me what exactly you've done, but if they are new sensors I believe you need to program them with the vehicles system.

I replaced them with Densos about a year ago. The tire dealer said Densos were what I needed.

Originally Posted by mehullica
Did you program the new ID#'s when you replaced the sensors?

The Tire Shop did, I guess??? They had this little handheld machine they were using on each tire/wheel.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My 2013 VW and my wifes 2015 Audi do not have TPMS sensors. They use the ABS wheel sensors and when a tire is low on air, it rotates at a different rate and trips a light on the dash.
I don't know what Kira is talking about.

You're exactly right. I dont have any idea what Kira is rambling on about

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by mehullica
Did you program the new ID#'s when you replaced the sensors?

The Tire Shop did, I guess??? They had this little handheld machine they were using on each tire/wheel.

You know what I did and have done in regards to my TPMS light having come on stayed on for the last 5 years.... Ignored it
lol.gif

I have a very good gauge in my car. I check my tires every week...

Ok, here are the codes:

C2121 Transmitter ID1 not received
C2122 Transmitter ID2 not received
C2123 Transmitter ID3 not received

Do I go back to the tire shop?

It would be good to let it run without resetting for another day or two to see if the ID4 code is also thrown. That might mean a problem with the receiver not that all 4 tire sensors are bad.

You're saying it worked for some time with the new sensors, and now it does not? Or did it never work with the new sensors?

Originally Posted by mk378
It would be good to let it run without resetting for another day or two to see if the ID4 code is also thrown. That might mean a problem with the receiver not that all 4 tire sensors are bad.

You're saying it worked for some time with the new sensors, and now it does not? Or did it never work with the new sensors?

Yes, it worked for a long time with these new sensors. I can reset the code and it may go 1 week or 2 months without coding.

Can you buy a receiver?

I'm gonna stop by tire shop and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back