Is problem with camphasers an oil issue or a bad design...

Status
Not open for further replies.
85,000 miles on a livery vehicle? In terms of hours of operation I believe you're looking at almost double that in engine wear miles.

Now its up to 93000+ miles. Yeah Ford could easily make this a testbed vehicle. When I looked at "Severe Service" in the manual it said to just go by the maintenance minder but that would be at 10k OCI so to be safe I did 7k. Im going to pull the oil to get a sample and switch to Shell.

See why Im being so technical looking through specs and sending oil for analysis. Just trying to stretch the life of the vehicle.

[Linked Image]

OP-Thanks for bringing this here. Saw you there, and as best recall, the standard non-oil related explanations as to why this is happening came up.

Interestingly, some there think that a thinner oil might be beneficial or prophylactic? (insert sophomoric replies. LOL). Rationale being quicker pressure-up of the VCT system when cold? I have no clue, just passing along a theory.

FWIW, sludge has not been implicated in most of the cases of this EB problem as reported there. 🤷ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸

Last edited:
Our 3n5 by in our Santa Fe had a similar problem.
It was babied with 5w-20........
I have since switched to 5w-30 for a bit more film on those sensitive parts.

Some driving styles and engines are not suited to 20vweights.

Originally Posted by Navi
I found a thread from the F150 forum where a poster talked about using a 5W30 that is on the thicker side of the 5w30 viscosity range to help keep it in spec as the oil shears in the turbo engine. This is what gave me the idea of using Shell Gas Truck. I have never used Shell brands so this will be new for me. Not that Shell is bad but it simply never came to mind grabbing a big bottle of Shell off the Walmart shelf.

When your work truck is sidelined for 2 months you kind of look for preventative measures. It was painful and getting treated badly by Ford enthusiasts at the dealer or on a forum didnt help. I know you guys love the trucks but these are big problems for me...serious money losing problems and Im the victim.

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboost-oil-report-259723/index4/

So you are in the camp of believers shear is not factored into recommendations for grade. Shear is a known variable for decades thus with the 3.5 Ecoboost does not come with a 5W20 recommended.

What is the failure rate of the second generation 3.5?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
85,000 miles on a livery vehicle? In terms of hours of operation I believe you're looking at almost double that in engine wear miles.

I'm surprised the iOLM did not go off before 7K miles.

Colour inside the engine and parts looks like Long Live oil been used. ( engine rebuild mechanics suggest to stay away from LL oil if you want keep your vehicle over warranty time ,and not to go over 6K OCI ). If oil was usually or always Valvoline MaxLive thats mean it's not good oil for your engine.
Try to do a few OCI at max 3K , plus flash and check if can see any progress in engine parts clean up.

Be curious to see the hour meter. Id bet the odometer only tells part of the story on this rig.

The more I read about valve train failures on 3.5 eco boosts, the less confidence I have in fords OLM system.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Be curious to see the hour meter. Id bet the odometer only tells part of the story on this rig.

The more I read about valve train failures on 3.5 eco boosts, the less confidence I have in fords OLM system.

UD

Can you post some of your readings? I'm interested in reading them.

Modern auto manufacturers and parts availability has really become a hot mess. And not just you Ford or Chevy. BMW has cut so lean that there are many with 75/90k dollar vehicles and in loaners for 3-8 weeks due to parts unavailable.

Frankly parts availability and what appears to be BMW intentionally designing plastic parts to only run for a certain period of time (and I don't men long term) I'm pulling myself away from a high dollar X5 that I REALLY am in love with.

Originally Posted by BISCUT

UD

F150 forum, and F150.net have all kinds of reading on the subject.

Simply googling "eco boost valve train problems" or "f150 OLM dumb" or some combo of that will reply a litany of reading.

Ive been interested in upgrading to this truck from my titan, and have been paying attention to it since 2011.

UD

Last edited:

UD

F150 forum, and F150.net have all kinds of reading on the subject.

Simply googling "eco boost valve train problems" or "f150 OLM dumb" or some combo of that will reply a litany of reading.

Ive been interested in upgrading to this truck from my titan, and have been paying attention to it since 2011.

UD

Gotcha. I've been on the same for years. I've never thought any mechanical issue was ditched. It's usually hashed out the Nth degree. The usual expected fanboys and weed em out and you get some real answers from people who have a much larger knowledge base.

I cant speak to the Titan but I can to to a 2010 Armada. Engine fantastic but transm was a hot mess. Same crap plastics all over like every other manufacturer. All the RnD goes into tech and the price point ends up with resulting cheapo materials all over.

UD:

I'm interested to see what happens for me with my 15 F150 OLM. First time I'm doing 7500k plus on an OCI. THis is more a family travel truck. We hit a lot of beaches and mountains. Mae the ride from NY to Myrtle Beach (740miles each way; 11:38 minutes travel time). I have a Leer cap and took off my Thule bars off the cap for this ride. I left my home at 2am and was blessed with some very uncluttered miles on 95. Extensive stretches of 85+ with cruise control to stretch the legs was really appreciated. Man after 85mph the gas mileage drops. Even without the Thule bars I saw 15.8 at those speeds. Drop down to 72 and I'm back to 18/18.5. Total drive average was 17.1 NOT hand calculated. I've found that with the LEER cap 18.8 at 70/72 is best I'm going to get. No cap at 70/72 I can see upper 19mpg.

I'm due for a UOA and will do one sometime early September after we get back. Posted earlier about moving to 5-30 over 0-20.

I am in the car service industry in and around the NYC area. I dont tow anything but I start and stop my car several times a day, 7 days per week...severe service like a taxi.

#1. The 5 liter has been around a long time in the Ford world. I owned a 1991 Ford Mustang 5.0. Im not sure if that is the same 5 liter, probably a lot of changes since 1991, but when I had the 5 liter it was very reliable. There shouldnt be issues but I could be wrong. This is the engine I would get for an F150 if in the market for one. Fords naturally aspirated V6s are also good.

#2. The 1st generation 3.5 liter Ecoboost engines manufactured after May 2015 should not develop the cold start rattle. The 2nd generation Ecoboost in the 2017+ F150s need more maturation and development. A mechanic I know told me he never saw an engine require a new chain before 150000 miles so there are serious problems here. The police only got involved with the 3.7 liter V6 Duratec and avoided the boosted engines. They had problems with them and I see the local police now buying Chargers.

#3. The 2016 F150s should be most reliable.

#4. There is an old saying...dont buy a first model year vehicle. Its best to buy 4th year and up to allow the manufacturer to get rid of any wrinkles. So the 2020 Ford F150 I would imagine would be more reliable than the 2017. My 2018 Lincoln Navigator developed the rattle at 85000 miles operated like a taxi which is a bit better than some 2017 F150 owners who got theirs at 30000 miles. So something has changed but it needs to change a little more.

#5. The cold start rattle I got was not the only problem. The 10 speed transmission went at 70000 problems requiring full replacement new in the box.

#6. To the guy who has the Titan I would suggest waiting until the 2021 Ford F150. The F250 and Toyota Tundra are more reliable. The Ram and GM offerings are a bit worse... the 10 speed is still new on the scene and needs time to mature. Buy the largest extended warranty Ford offers. Monitor Consumer Reports and Car Complaints website too.

#7. Outside of the engine and trans I have not had other problems, but the engine and trans are very serious problems! Truck has been deadlined 2 months this year..lots of drama!

#8. Those F150 forums are owned and operated by Internet Brands which also owns Cars direct and other car sellers. I was banned from the F150 forums because I started posting paperwork which evidenced flaws with both the engine and the trans. One staff member said he had no idea what I was talking about. I was banned from blue oval forums too! So be very suspicious of certain boards. They delete threads and ban posters who come to report legit problems...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
I am in the car service industry in and around the NYC area. I dont tow anything but I start and stop my car several times a day, 7 days per week...severe service like a taxi.

#1. The 5 liter has been around a long time in the Ford world. I owned a 1991 Ford Mustang 5.0. Im not sure if that is the same 5 liter, probably a lot of changes since 1991, but when I had the 5 liter it was very reliable. There shouldnt be issues but I could be wrong. This is the engine I would get for an F150 if in the market for one. Fords naturally aspirated V6s are also good.

#2. The 1st generation 3.5 liter Ecoboost engines manufactured after May 2015 should not develop the cold start rattle. The 2nd generation Ecoboost in the 2017+ F150s need more maturation and development. A mechanic I know told me he never saw an engine require a new chain before 150000 miles so there are serious problems here. The police only got involved with the 3.7 liter V6 Duratec and avoided the boosted engines. They had problems with them and I see the local police now buying Chargers.

#3. The 2016 F150s should be most reliable.

#4. There is an old saying...dont buy a first model year vehicle. Its best to buy 4th year and up to allow the manufacturer to get rid of any wrinkles. So the 2020 Ford F150 I would imagine would be more reliable than the 2017. My 2018 Lincoln Navigator developed the rattle at 85000 miles operated like a taxi which is a bit better than some 2017 F150 owners who got theirs at 30000 miles. So something has changed but it needs to change a little more.

#5. The cold start rattle I got was not the only problem. The 10 speed transmission went at 70000 problems requiring full replacement new in the box.

#6. To the guy who has the Titan I would suggest waiting until the 2021 Ford F150. The F250 and Toyota Tundra are more reliable. The Ram and GM offerings are a bit worse... the 10 speed is still new on the scene and needs time to mature. Buy the largest extended warranty Ford offers. Monitor Consumer Reports and Car Complaints website too.

#7. Outside of the engine and trans I have not had other problems, but the engine and trans are very serious problems! Truck has been deadlined 2 months this year..lots of drama!

#8. Those F150 forums are owned and operated by Internet Brands which also owns Cars direct and other car sellers. I was banned from the F150 forums because I started posting paperwork which evidenced flaws with both the engine and the trans. One staff member said he had no idea what I was talking about. I was banned from blue oval forums too! So be very suspicious of certain boards. They delete threads and ban posters who come to report legit problems...

You don't know the difference between a 1991 5.0 and a 2019
If there's been changes and your talking about all these issue and what's better and gona be a better engine choice in future models !!
Wow !!
No wonder you been banned for other forums

UD:

I'm interested to see what happens for me with my 15 F150 OLM. First time I'm doing 7500k plus on an OCI. THis is more a family travel truck. We hit a lot of beaches and mountains. Mae the ride from NY to Myrtle Beach (740miles each way; 11:38 minutes travel time). I have a Leer cap and took off my Thule bars off the cap for this ride. I left my home at 2am and was blessed with some very uncluttered miles on 95. Extensive stretches of 85+ with cruise control to stretch the legs was really appreciated. Man after 85mph the gas mileage drops. Even without the Thule bars I saw 15.8 at those speeds. Drop down to 72 and I'm back to 18/18.5. Total drive average was 17.1 NOT hand calculated. I've found that with the LEER cap 18.8 at 70/72 is best I'm going to get. No cap at 70/72 I can see upper 19mpg.

I'm due for a UOA and will do one sometime early September after we get back. Posted earlier about moving to 5-30 over 0-20.

Do you have the 355 or 323 rear end?

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back