Collinite products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thier paste waxes last longer, 845 is easier to use because of the oils. I am two months into a test the three top Collonite waxes. The 845 is in a state of fail at 2 mos, the paste waxes are still going strong. First pic is 845, second pick is both double coat and marque, I split the roof into three sections. Paste waxes still going strong. I like them all for different reasons, 845 for ease, marque best look, and double coat for the best protection. Double coat is 25 bucks for the large container on amazon, only wax anyone will ever need for a daily driver, and will likely last a decade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by burla
Thier paste waxes last longer, 845 is easier to use because of the oils. I am two months into a test the three top Collonite waxes. The 845 is in a state of fail at 2 mos, the paste waxes are still going strong. First pic is 845, second pick is both double coat and marque, I split the roof into three sections. Paste waxes still going strong. I like them all for different reasons, 845 for ease, marque best look, and double coat for the best protection. Double coat is 25 bucks for the large container on amazon, only wax anyone will ever need for a daily driver, and will likely last a decade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can tell you from my own experiences with the 845 that it lasts a lot longer than 2 months. It easily goes 6 months on my vehicles, but they are also garaged, so that may be a factor...

Nice weather today... Perfect for a quick exterior wash & wax. The RJB (Red Jelly Bean) was blasted with a foam cannon with dish detergent, let sit for 10 mins, rinsed then bucket washed with some off-brand automotive soap. After this, I did a super-fast (temporary) wax with 845 and a quick inside vacuum and washed the interior windows. In a few weeks I'll do a good spring detail inside and out.

These pictures are what Collinite looked like after 4 months and 20 days of winter with road salt followed by a detergent soak and bucket wash.

Ray

P1001309-1.jpg

P1001310-1.jpg

P1001311-1.jpg

P1001312-1.jpg

Good. There are other durable products though. I really liked my Collinite 476 paste wax until I used it up.

The two part Duragloss product is on there now and going strong at four months. I figure at six months you can't ask for more. Car is past 7 years and still looks very good with modest detailing efforts and expenses. More than just presentable.

Originally Posted by knerml
When I asked this question, Collinite stated that #915 gives a better shine, and that the paste waxes are a little more durable.

This seems to be confirmed in this 915 vs Fusso Coat test video that someone just pointed out to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8kAgd7s2kg

Summary: great shine, poor resistance to heat, chemicals, weak durability.

I've been using Fusso Coat for the past couple of years. It's not the most glossy sealant out there, but the durability is great for someone like me who only does one application per year. I'm wondering if something like Finish Kare 1000p would provide better gloss than FC while still offering durability.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by knerml
When I asked this question, Collinite stated that #915 gives a better shine, and that the paste waxes are a little more durable.

This seems to be confirmed in this 915 vs Fusso Coat test video that someone just pointed out to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8kAgd7s2kg

Summary: great shine, poor resistance to heat, chemicals, weak durability.

I've been using Fusso Coat for the past couple of years. It's not the most glossy sealant out there, but the durability is great for someone like me who only does one application per year. I'm wondering if something like Finish Kare 1000p would provide better gloss than FC while still offering durability.

If you watch the video again, it is actually the Fusso that did poorly with the heat test, not the Collinite.

Regardless, what vehicle is going to be subjected to 180 degrees F?
21.gif

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/_8kAgd7s2kg?t=665[/video]

The exterior body will absorb heat and be hotter than the ambient temperature. That's true of any metal surface. A metal handrail in the direct sun is a good example.

Also, the hood or bonnet will be hotter due to the temperatures of the engine.

Originally Posted by irv
If you watch the video again, it is actually the Fusso that did poorly with the heat test, not the Collinite.
Yeah that was confusing, although at the end, the area treated with Fusso was still beading water.

21.gif

170F is not unusual to see in direct Sun on a hot day on a black car:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...lack-car-paint-temperature-full-sun.html

Originally Posted by PimTac
The exterior body will absorb heat and be hotter than the ambient temperature. That's true of any metal surface. A metal handrail in the direct sun is a good example.

Also, the hood or bonnet will be hotter due to the temperatures of the engine.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by irv
Yeah that was confusing, although at the end, the area treated with Fusso was still beading water.

21.gif

170F is not unusual to see in direct Sun on a hot day on a black car:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/foru...lack-car-paint-temperature-full-sun.html

Yep, I didn't consider that. Was just thinking of heat radiating on the surface and not what temp the actual surface could get.
blush.gif

Great product with nice finish. However like many others, it does not last long on a vehicle stored outdoors in a climate such as Florida.

Collinite 845 is a good product indeed. Just make sure that the surface is free from any contaminants to obtain the best result.

I use many of their products. 845 is my usual wax, 476 for light colored vehicles and 915 for my bright red older car.

Recently bought 325, their cleaner wax. Does a very decent job. I always top it with one of the 3 other waxes.

I also bought their paint cleaner/polish 390, but haven't used it yet.

They also have a new quick detailer/spray wax 520. A bit pricey, but so far quite impressed by it. I use it more as a post wash spray wax rather than as QD.

The Collinite wax holds up well over the winter here (near Annapolis, MD). Before / After pictures of a couple of my family cars are shown earlier in this thread. This spring around April, I waxed all the cars with 476. They're all still beading water like nobody's business and they shine nicely after a quick wash. This summer has been the typical Maryland, hot/humid season. Since early July, our temps have been in the 90's and we had a couple 100+ days. Humidity has been beastly! Supposed to be 89 tomorrow and overcast so, I'll probably wax with 845 and that will hold until the last wax before winter. Since I'm working outside, I'll have to start around 7AM to beat the heat.

Yeah, I know, there are a lot of different brands of wax. Most all of them are pretty good but, I just like the "old-time feel" of the Collinite products. The company is family owned and I've spoken to them a couple times. Really nice people -and I get the feeling, they do it because they love their family business.

Ray

Started on time and got everything done in the shade! Used Collinite 845 this time. Windows were cleaned inside & out and the outside done with Rain-X. Wiped down interior and did a quick vacuum. It's all set now for a few more months. My trusty companion Sash was supervising and giving moral support.

BTW: I took this car out to the track a few weeks ago. The track is 2 miles and had about 10 turns. It was fun. Since it's my daily driver, I did not push it. In the straight it hit 85-90 very easily. It could have easily done more but that was against track rules for this event.

Ray

P1020698.jpg

P1020699.jpg

P1020701.jpg

P1020702.jpg

^^NICE, and cool pup!!

You are fortunate in that you get a decent 'window' of shade, as if it is not a VERY/steadily overcast day here, I get a small, maybe 2-3 hour window of shade, and sadly, the car is already hot from being out in the sun before that shade is available.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by dailydriver
^^NICE, and cool pup!!

You are fortunate in that you get a decent 'window' of shade, as if it is not a VERY/steadily overcast day here, I get a small, maybe 2-3 hour window of shade, and sadly, the car is already hot from being out in the sun before that shade is available.
frown.gif

Thanks... The car is 1 year old this month and I'm still crazy about it. Sash "the pup" is about 9 years old and never stopped being a kind-hearted pup. I'm still crazy about her too (and my two other canine companions).

The car... I started at 7AM and finished at 8:50. It was mostly overcast yesterday. I washed/waxed my wife's car right after mine. By then, the sun was coming thru enough to heat things up but it didn't cause problems doing the wax job.

I used the Insulator wax and the paste many years ago. I stopped using it bc it was a PIA to apply.

I reconfirmed that the other day. I went back to another product.

I hadn't tried paste from them but the 845 I believe could be one the easiest removal products I've used. Granted I usually had applied it just before winter and use cleaner in the summer before application.

Originally Posted by Al
I used the Insulator wax and the paste many years ago. I stopped using it bc it was a PIA to apply.

I have not tried those, but you should try the 845...it's delightfully easy to apply and remove...and it not only doesn't stain trim, it can be used to keep it looking nice...

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by Al

I have not tried those, but you should try the 845...it's delightfully easy to apply and remove...and it not only doesn't stain trim, it can be used to keep it looking nice...

Grampi... It's perfectly understandable some folks would find Collinite waxes harder to work with. A lot of folks are not familiar with traditional "elbow grease" type car waxes like "Simoniz" and "Johnson's Paste Wax". Do you remember working with those? Oh, it was a bear! -And before clearcoat came out, you had to put wax on thick and wide to keep from buffing the color out of the paint.

Collinite is much more forgiving (and clearcoat is the invention of the century) but still needs a little TLC to do it right. If someone does half a hood on a sunny day, they'll be hating life. You can take Finish 2000 and do a whole car on a sunny day and it will still come off easy. With Collinite, you need to be mindful of the temperature and humidity and work accordingly.

That said, I use the 845, 476 and 915 and in all honesty, they all look and work great. Unless I buy a black or very dark colored vehicle, I'll probably use-up the 915 and just stick with the other 2 for simplicity.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back