Is using your wipers often promotes longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
I think it does, I use my wipers everyday, and so far they work good. They don't get "stuck" on one side, and it prevents the buildup of dirt on the blade, if you never use your wipers except for rain, then they are stuck in one direction and dirt builds up and eats them on next use.

We're of the same mind. Yes the rubber blade pivots on a central spline and if you leave the blade parked with the blades retracting into park position all the time the
blade will take a set over some time, it doesn't take that long either. It's harder to do on new cars, but on older cars I would plip the wiper stalk and have the blades parked on the rise one time and then the next on the descent to keep that blade front setting one way, which causes chattering and juddering.

I haven't been driving my Jeep much lately, the wipers ended up sticking to the windshield and the blades came apart when I got caught in the rain the other day. But I couldn't imagine having a DD and never using the wipers. It rains every day here.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
I think it does, I use my wipers everyday, and so far they work good. They don't get "stuck" on one side, and it prevents the buildup of dirt on the blade, if you never use your wipers except for rain, then they are stuck in one direction and dirt builds up and eats them on next use.

I think it doesn't. I wash my vehicles exteriors (including windshield and wiper blades) often enough that dirt buildup is not an issue. Also, the best thing for preserving rubber is keep it out of the sun and avoid temperature extremes. (The benefit of dressings & treatments, on something like a wiper blade, are debatable.) So outdoor sun & heat exposure will affect the longevity way before over-use (or under-use) would have much of an affect... I think
laugh.gif

Maybe some wiper blades are made from nitrile or EPDM? I hear that stuff withstands temperature extremes better and generally lasts longer than natural rubber.

I only use mine if raining or if the windshield or tailgate window need a wash. Typically I need to replace them 1x per year (lot of rain from April-August here, then heat).

Interesting enough VW installed a "feature" with the MKV (2005.5 Jetta) that shifts the blades every so many start/stop cycles to prevent the rubber from "learning" one certain way its parked. Not sure if they ever removed the feature but my 2012 Sportwagen (a A5+) still has it, you can hear them shift on startup or shutdown when its time to move them around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back