Quaker State Ultimate Durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
I've only run Ultimate Durability 5w30 in my 2017 Elantra 2.0 for the last two oil changes, but so far I like it. $19/5qt jug at Wally World isn't too bad. And Rural King about a 1/4 mile from there has the Fram Ultra filters for $7.99, I believe, which is about $3 cheaper than Walmart is now.

L8R,
Matt

*Correct ... The Elantra Fram Ultra is $11.00 at WM now .

Then I'll DEFINITELY be buying mine at Rural King!

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Holy thread Revival. Pages 1 & 2 are from 2011.

That's so old that there were actually Quakers drilling for the PA crude to make Quaker State...
;^)

Just did the first oil change on the Soul with QSUD 5w30 and OEM filter. Initial impressions are good; seems to have quieted the engine a bit versus factory fill.

Will monitor performance and oil levels, and report back.

Originally Posted by Hoot_r
Just did the first oil change on the Soul with QSUD 5w30 and OEM filter. Initial impressions are good; seems to have quieted the engine a bit versus factory fill.

That's weird because Kia/Hyundai use that combination as FF usually

Unless the dealer changed it out prior to putting it on the lot?

Last edited:
*Due to CAFE - the factory fill will always be 5W20 as that is what is stamped on the oil cap (non turbo) .
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

The manual recommends a brand I'm not familiar with: Total Quartz. There's even a sticker under the hood pushing Total Quartz oil.

Like you, I thought that K/H went with QSUD as their go-to factory fill. Seeing a different brand as their recommended oil makes me think something may have changed. Perhaps someone with knowledge of what's currently being used can chime in.

Total Quartz is recommended by KIA, Shell Helix (Quaker State) by Hyundai. Nothing's changed.

Total is the eighth largest oil company in the world, just behind BP. They make very good products, they have been trying to enhance their visibility in the US for a few years now.

Originally Posted by wemay
Total Quartz is recommended by KIA, Shell Helix (Quaker State) by Hyundai. Nothing's changed.

That...makes...sense?
Not really. I have a feeling that engine came with Quaker State of some sort. Especially if it's the 1.6L, which both the na and turbo FF is QSGB

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay

That...makes...sense?
Not really. I have a feeling that engine came with Quaker State of some sort. Especially if it's the 1.6L, which both the na and turbo FF is QSGB

Interesting. Well, whatever was in the sump to start, it'll most likely be QSUD 5W30 going forward, as 5q jugs of Total Quartz synthetic go for around $35 via online retailers.

Thanks everyone for the information!

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
In my 2018 F150 w 5.0L I have tried Motorcraft 5w20 blend, Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic, T6 5w40, and so far QSUD 10w30 has been the quietest oil I have used so far. For just under 18 bucks a jug I think I have found a winner.
Not that this provides any scientific information at all, but for those who has the new 5.0 the QSUD is a really good choice.

I keep hearing 2017-18 5.0's have a problem with oil consumption................do you have an issue with yours ??

And your correct with the QSUD, it's a great oil ðŸ‘

No oil consumption with the 5.0 at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back