PCV side of the engine is cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw some pictures of an engine and the pcv side of the engine (may have been v8) looked much cleaner than the other side. Maybe it was just varnish ... but is that significant? If yes, I assume you can have a dual pcv that connects. No?

Why stop at 2..why not 3 or 4 pcv's?...‚..or just take them out all together and put in breathers?

Ok, seriously...Isn't there always going to be a pressure differential of some level between valve covers...so one side is always going to see less ventilation than the other?..if that's true, is it worth the hassle? And does the OE pcv setup have an effect on low idle or brake boost?.. dunno, just thinking out loud.

Seems to me If ya want "cleaner" crankcase air try and address any excessive blow by and put in a catch can. I personally don't like the idea of drilling a hole into my valve cover.

Last edited:
Why not simply vent the crankcase to the atmosphere?
21.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Why not simply vent the crankcase to the atmosphere?
21.gif

That's what breathers do. Some call them pcv deletes.

You're technically not supposed to vent to atmo and you would take a slight hit to mpg's by not recycling the crankcase air...but for tuners, they don't care about any of that.

Last edited:
The side with the PCV valve is always darker because the air flowing through that valve cover has picked up all of the gasses and contaminants. The air flowing through the opposite side is the fresh, filtered air from the air intake, so that side never gets stained.

Originally Posted by emmett442
The side with the PCV valve is always darker because the air flowing through that valve cover has picked up all of the gasses and contaminants. The air flowing through the opposite side is the fresh, filtered air from the air intake, so that side never gets stained.

I have to find the pictures again. Based on what you are saying, the pcv side should be darker! it kind of makes sense ...

My original post is incorrect then. Just remember seeing the pics and one side looked real bad.

Do the contaminants stain or leave a residue/sludge by condensing over the internal parts? Is it mostly cosmetic or can it form sludge?

I assume if it was causing long term problems to one side of an engine, they would have designed a dual pcv to distribute the deposits evenly.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
... Do the contaminants stain or leave a residue/sludge by condensing over the internal parts? Is it mostly cosmetic or can it form sludge?
I assume if it was causing long term problems to one side of an engine, they would have designed a dual pcv to distribute the deposits evenly. ...
We've already had at least one lengthy thread about that very question---whether varnish is harmful.

Before PCV systems, both sides (of "V" engines) were the dirty side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back