Anyone live in/familiar with the Idaho Panhandle? (sightseeing ideas wanted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next week I am taking my two step kids (girl 10, boy 15) to the Panhandle for the week, for a little something different before school starts. I am looking for suggestions of things to do.

We are staying (at least some of the time) in a house in Craigmont, which is a little south off Rt. 12 about 1/2 way across or a little less. Just a modest home in the town, not a "destination" kind of cabin or anything. A friend has it and it's empty (bought their grandmother's old house). So It's a "base of operations" kind of thing. I've driven across 12 a few times, but don't know the area that much.

Winchester lake is nearby, St. Gertrude's Abbey/monastery - figure a day at each. Great places to camp or things like that nearby? I had thought of trying to take them to Glacier or Yellowstone, but it just seems like a heck of a lot more driving from there. Maybe drive 12 to Lolo pass one day; I recall that as one of the most amazing roads/scenery I've ever enjoyed. Maybe [censored]'s Canyon to the south? Are there any stunning parks or mountains to the north towards Canuckland?

If people have suggestions, I'm all ears. FYI, taking a sedan, so can't access remote campsites or things like that.

My stepfather's from McCall, which is farther south. As a kid we went to Ponderosa State Park, was pretty fun! Again it's more west/central. Beautiful country up there though!

Lolo Pass is a must! Also Travelers Rest State Park.

Lewis and Clark Expedition is thick with rich experiences in this area.

Have them read Steven Ambrose Undaunted Courage.

Camp out just one night and imagine what they went through.

Last edited:
As a kid we went to Ponderosa State Park
I'll look that up not sure where it is and if we'll get that far south.. EDIT: oh, yeah, that looks nice and is not that far. Thanks.

Lolo Pass is a must! Also Travelers Rest State Park.

OK, I'll look up that park. Yeah, driving that stretch of 12 along the Clearwater river, definitely going to do it. Never done it in a car, but I have three times on a motorcycle. Trying to figure out if its worth going all the way to Missoula for any reason or just drive the pretty bits, picnic/swim and then back. EDIT: Oh, good idea. That park has the L&C exhibit; make that the destination/lunch for the drive and then back. Ok, good!

Lewis and Clark Expedition is thick with rich experiences in this area.

I saw some stuff re: oregon trail/pioneer museum when looking around H3ll's canyon area online. Was thinking of finding something along those lines.

Camp out just one night and imagine what they went through.

I am definitely taking tents/bags/stove so we can get out one or two nights somewhere. Last summer I took them a few nights on a creek coming out of the cascades near here - only 24 miles away by road but 20 of those were offroad/FS roads. Really fun.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
There is a water park/ Amusement park in CDA. Not far from where you will be and the kids will appreciate it.

https://www.silverwoodthemepark.com/

Just looked, Craigmont isn't in the panhandle, too far south. Snake river has jet boat rides and is pretty close.

Last edited:
+1 on Silverwood. The rollercoasters are awesome. One is called Tremors and dunks underground on the dives. The Boulder Beach wave pool is worth an afternoon by itself. There is a campground connected to the park.

Lake Pend Oreille ( pronounced Ponderay) is worth a visit. Plenty of campgrounds or you can grab a room at Sandpoint, a pleasant tourist town.

Factoid: The water in Lake Pend Oreille ends up in the Columbia River, exiting into the Pacific Ocean. If you drove east to Great Falls, Montana, the water in the Missouri River exits into the Gulf of Mexico at New Orleans.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head....doesn't the silver mine at Coer d'laine (Heart of an awl) have tours?

I remember something about it whilst traveling across the panhandle 30 years ago.

If this doesn't check out, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back