About the original manual recommended viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by dolala
What brands of oil are available in Taiwan?

That Suzuki is a great little car.

Most brands in Taiwan have, Shell, Mobil, QUAKER STATE, MOTUL, Castrol, Royal Purple, Red line. May I ask you to use w20, will you change w30 after a few miles or continue to use w20?

You have a good selection of brands. Shell, Mobil and Castrol stand out. Do you have issues with counterfeit products there?

In my Mazda CX-5 with the 2.5 SkyActiv engine I am running 0w20 and I plan to stay the course. I don't see anything wrong with running a good quality 20 grade oil. The engine runs smooth and quiet.

Parallel input of oil in Taiwan is very competitive. There are very few counterfeit oils. Because Taiwanese automakers instill 3,000 miles of oil for customers, the price here is sometimes the same as the local price. Thanks for your suggestion, I can rest assured that the oil of w20 will continue.

As long as you use a good quality brand of oil and change it regularly along with keeping up the maintenance, that Suzuki will last you a good long time. The only difference between what you are running now and the other brands may be cost. That would be a decision for you to make. Is the extra cost of Ravenol giving you any advantage over the other oils?

Ravenol is a decent oil, don't get me wrong. Out of all those brands I might consider Shell Helix. Well known and proven. Mobil 1 is another I would consider.

As long as you use a good quality brand of oil and change it regularly along with keeping up the maintenance, that Suzuki will last you a good long time. The only difference between what you are running now and the other brands may be cost. That would be a decision for you to make. Is the extra cost of Ravenol giving you any advantage over the other oils?

Ravenol is a decent oil, don't get me wrong. Out of all those brands I might consider Shell Helix. Well known and proven. Mobil 1 is another I would consider.

Ravenol is very difficult to buy, so consider converting m1 ep, we only have Shell HELIX ULTRA SN 0W20 here, but our m1 is more than the shell

Originally Posted by dave1251
You will be fine to use either grade. Just use what is the highest quality available.

Why do you give priority to Shell Helix, is there anything special about him?

The engine in your car is the M16A similar to my Yaris with a direct acting cam (sliding contact). Mine uses shimless buckets while yours uses shims over buckets. Given the wear rate is higher with this arrangement as opposed to a rolling contact, I believe this is the main reason Toyota still recommends 5/10W30 for my car. Hence, with your climate I would recommend same.

My Mothers Jimmny has an M16A and since it was 6 months old it has had nothing but "fraken-brews". It does anywhere from 5,000miles to 10,000miles a year and I change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. It gets whatever left overs I have on my shelf topped off with a HDEO with a genuine Suzuki oil filter. I've put in it nearly everything from 0w20 to 15w40.

It's now 6 years old with 50k on the clock and it's spotless under the covers and drives like the day it left the factory!

My MIL has a Swift with the same engine. I've never mixed in that but it's currently running quite happily on a 15w40 HDEO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back