Are Kia's Hard to Find Parts For?

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by parimento1
I was looking into buying a Kia and I was curious if it is hard to find parts for those cars outside of the dealership?

I would avoid. There are better cars out there for not a lot more after all is said and done. Kia/Hyundai are bottom tof the line.

Your opinion is on the mark 15 years ago and agreeable 10 years ago.

However I. The 10 years Hyundai/Kia has surpassed many makes and formidable competitor especially for domestics.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher

Fellow Brooklynites hello!

Bridgeview is a quality diner, but it's no Brennan & Carr
39.gif
lol.gif

I go to the Bridgeview mostly for the parking. Very hard to find parking in that area of Bay Ridge. On a 1 to 10 I will give the Bridgeview a 6. The owners and staff are nice. Otherwise I have to park at the garage on 88th street.

Originally Posted by wtd
My daughter had a 2004 Kia Rio that was a POS that I was always working on. She bought it with 98,000 miles on it with a recently rebuilt transmission and finally blew the motor at 130,000 miles. I was glad to see it go.

I'm not saying they are all bad but that one left me with a less than favorable impression on Kia vehicles.

So a used car with unknown history and rebuilt transmission has problems so the entire brand suspect?
You can say that about any used vehicle.

Originally Posted by parimento1
Originally Posted by JTK
What I found when I owned my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe years ago was, normal wear parts like pads, rotors, wheel bearings, filters, etc. were all available anywhere. Things like ignition coils, brake hardware (springs, rubber bits, etc) were all trips to a dealer parts counter.

@JTK--- Any idea about alternators, radiator, shocks, belts, fuel pumps, a/c components, etc.? Like if you ever had to replace any of those items, did you have an issue?

I will go to NAPA this week and ask them out of those 3 cars (spark, mirage, and rio), which car they stock the most parts for.

My '04 Elantra had all these parts available online or local parts store when I needed to replace them (alternator, radiator, A/C condensor, shocks, belts (accessory and timing) etc) 7-10 years after it was made. The first 100,000 miles the only repairs made on it were A/C condenser (my fault, poor mount of aux transmission cooler on my part), and a transmission shift solinoid (99,980 miles done under warranty).
Alternator and radiator were done with over 120,000 miles.
Sisters 2010 Santa Fe has had all parts needed locally or online (alternator and CV shaft).

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by wtd
My daughter had a 2004 Kia Rio that was a POS that I was always working on. She bought it with 98,000 miles on it with a recently rebuilt transmission and finally blew the motor at 130,000 miles. I was glad to see it go.

I'm not saying they are all bad but that one left me with a less than favorable impression on Kia vehicles.

So a used car with unknown history and rebuilt transmission has problems so the entire brand suspect?
You can say that about any used vehicl).

Back in the day you could find $500 40-60,000 mile Rios inop due to blown timing belts left and right.

The belt required replacement about as often as a Yugo and gave the cars their reputation despite it being
in the manual on interval (apparently most people won't replace the belt as often as required when the duration isn't much longer than an oil change)

When Kia fixed the belt problem?
Don't remember but it wasn't as long ago as you would want.

My wife is currently driving an 09 Sorento. So far, besides brakes and tires, it needed an alternator, a left front anti lock brake wheel speed sensor, oil solenoids for the cam timing and an intake gasket to access the solenoids. Every part except the alternator and the wheel speed sensor came from Amazon. Car has 159,000 miles on it. We bought it new.
Now, if we keep it, it needs rubbing blocks or guides or whatever you call the timing chain guides. If I take the timing cover off I'm doing the chains and the oil activated tensioners too. All available on Amazon.
My wife wants a new car. As much as I enjoy making noisy engine sounds go away and run mint, there's not as much satisfaction doing it to a V6 Kia.
Kinda hope she gets a new car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wtd

When you start buying cars with that sort of mileage all bets are off, it could be a big pile of excrement with three wheels in the yard and the other one ready to slip in or a gem no matter who built it.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by wtd

When you start buying cars with that sort of mileage all bets are off, it could be a big pile of excrement with three wheels in the yard and the other one ready to slip in or a gem no matter who built it.

Exactly. Engine blowing at 130k doesn't necessarily point to poor build quality. It could be but there are many other factors that could influence that. Like how was the car driven the first 98k?..was it totally beaten on?...was it serviced regularly and properly?? There are a lot of motors, both import and domestic, that don't see the other side of 130k.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by wtd

Exactly. Engine blowing at 130k doesn't necessarily point to poor build quality. It could be but there are many other factors that could influence that. Like how was the car driven the first 98k?..was it totally beaten on?...was it serviced regularly and properly?? There are a lot of motors, both import and domestic, that don't see the other side of 130k.

Usually the motor didn't blow the timing belt just broke.

Cars of that vintage had weak belts

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

Usually the motor didn't blow the timing belt just broke.

Cars of that vintage had weak belts

+1 when you buy a car of that mileage, you don't go by what the seller claims, you change the timing belt for a new baseline. Maybe if he had receipts from a garage, but other wise you change it.

2014 Kia Soul here with almost 100,000 miles. Also have a lower mileage 2010 Hyundai Elantra. Mostly routine maintenance on both at this point - tires, brake pads, battery, and fluids/filters. I have never had issues getting parts. Rock Auto has almost everything I have ever looked for. Local auto parts stores have all the routine stuff in stock and most of the less commonly needed stuff available within a day or so. The Elantra has a timing belt so that was replaced as routine maintenance along with the idler pulley and tensioner. Those were also super easy to find in stock locally and online. My only parts complaint is the occasional part quality or fitment issue on the aftermarket side, but that is not a problem unique to Kia or Hyundai nor is it their fault.

Both have been reliable. Only major issue was an early failure of the catalytic converter in the Soul which was caused by bad ECU programming, and was replaced under a recall. No cost to me other than time to go to the dealer and it didn't cause a breakdown in my case.

I plan on driving my Genesis Coupe to the ground, but this vehicle was only made for such a short production run that I am indeed worried long term about getting parts or atleast being able to find it in a junkyard. Any other Genesis Coupe owners?

My daughter had a 3.8 track for years and it was super reliable, unfortunately a flood got it and it was a total. Never any trouble with that car, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hi,
Our car Kia Optima 2018 was broken into by a thief on October 1st 2022. Before he could steal it from our driveway, our neighbor came and stopped him. Our insurance carrier Geico had it towed to the repair shop in Newark, CA on Oct 3, 2022.
The car has been sitting in the repair shop waiting for parts from Korea. We are still paying insurance premium for that car. The missing parts:
84852 D5000WK. Shroud-Steering Column
84830 D5000WK. Panel Assembly Cluster

Your help in locating these parts will be appreciated.
Thanks & Regards
Fatimapeter

Attachments

• 420D6F15-0508-4771-97D3-A32BE8452EB7.jpeg
    420D6F15-0508-4771-97D3-A32BE8452EB7.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 4
I was looking to buy the Kia Rio 5- door

I would expect to only find such a vehicle available to purchase on the dealer's lot in maybe a year or so. For now all of them are listed as "In Transit" which is almost a code word for "Additional Dealer Markup". Now decide of you want to pay extra and wait for a Kia Rio.

Probably not in your view of considerations, but stay away from the Kia SUVs...not CUVs...the SUVs...aka, 1st gen Sportage, Borrego and 1/1.5 gen (03-09) Sorento.

I've heard that parts for these particular Kia are hard to come by or nonexistent. I know from personal experience about the 1.5gen Sorento (rear axle assembly...I swear the ring and pinion must have been made of glass).

Hi,
Our car Kia Optima 2018 was broken into by a thief on October 1st 2022. Before he could steal it from our driveway, our neighbor came and stopped him. Our insurance carrier Geico had it towed to the repair shop in Newark, CA on Oct 3, 2022.
The car has been sitting in the repair shop waiting for parts from Korea. We are still paying insurance premium for that car. The missing parts:
84852 D5000WK. Shroud-Steering Column
84830 D5000WK. Panel Assembly Cluster

Your help in locating these parts will be appreciated.
Thanks & Regards
Fatimapeter
Hello new BITOG member and welcome.
A word of advice, do not pull an old thread out of the basement.
In a situation like this it is better to start a new thread.

Back