How to get nails out of my driveway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the roof torn off and reroofed as well as new siding and new windows put on my house. I have so many nails in my driveway it's not even funny. I have one of those magnets on a stick I have been pulling around. Seems like it's never ending. I can drag an area then go over it 2 more times and still pull up nails.

Gotta be another way.

When my house was built, i had a tire with 15 plugs in it, took a year to stop getting nails. I got good at plugging tires.

I've seen magnets that are the width of a truck that hang off the front bumper.

Last edited:
I would have withheld final payment until the contractors did this.

Last edited:
Call the roofing company and ask them to send a guy out to get these nails. They normally use a magnetic roller that's 2' wide or so. Certainly would be more efficient than what you're using.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Call the roofing company and ask them to send a guy out to get these nails. They normally use a magnetic roller that's 2' wide or so. Certainly would be more efficient than what you're using.

+1. Those rollers should be part of the service.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I thought they put tarps down when they were removing the old roof to avoid this? You got swindled!

Yep, I've had a few roofs done and they always get all the nails. Usually you don't pay the last 1/3 til the whole job is done and that's when you should be checking for nails. And the tarps are for not only only the nails but the shingles too, quicker clean up.

If they don't take care of this for you then leave them a 1 star yelp review because that seems like the roofing companys problem.

I thought they put tarps down when they were removing the old roof to avoid this? You got swindled!

No they wanted an extra $5k to clean up and haul off the mess. I figured I could do that and save money but now I know why it was so much more.

Originally Posted by user52165
I would have withheld final payment until the contractors did this.

thumbsup2.gif
Yes, but since he was probably paid I'd make him come back and do it now.

Originally Posted by Chris142
No they wanted an extra $5k to clean up and haul off the mess. I figured I could do that and save money but now I know why it was so much more.

You can buy quite a few tires for the $5k you saved....
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142

That's a lot of shingles to throw in the trash can every Monday and Thursday. Lol But for $5,000 I'd do it.

Funny, I re-did my roof years ago. When I was done, I offered to throw the shingles in the trash truck when it came around. They said I couldn't do it.....well, after about 6 months of Monday and Friday trash can pick ups by the same company, they did do it.

Originally Posted by exranger06
Harbor Freight 22" Magnetic Sweeper
Also available in a 30" wide version for $5 more.

Buy one! This thing absolutely ROCKS! I've used one a lot for nails and lost nuts and bolts in the grass. The secret is the aluminum box the magnet sits in. When you go over something you hear a loud CLACK when it gets picked up. This really comes in handy frequently in a shop or farm setting.
I bought the cheaper smaller one , just don't do it. This one here works SOOOO much better in all respects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back