2010 Accord P1009 Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped at grocery store today, and got into my car to go home and it wouldn't start. Cranked over fine, but the idle was stumbling bad, and wanted to die. I tried several times to start the car, but it wouldn't start. Just stumble.

Waited 5 minutes, car started normally with CEL on. AutoZone says it was P1009: VTC malfunction.

Drove around later today, maybe 20 miles, no sign of trouble.

Any ideas??

A stretched chain would be stretched all the time. Is the CEL still on?

OP google how to clean the VCT strainer and solenoid it may solve your problem,

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gregk24
Could it be a stretched chain?

Is that the first thing you came across on Google?

Originally Posted by Phishin

No, I just know it can cause a rough running engine. So can many other things though.

I would Clean the VCT Solenoid (Front Cover), Clean out the VCT Screen (Behind the Belt Tensioner), And change the oil & filter.

You can check the VCT Solenoid with a 12v battery for full Spool Valve movement. I use Brake Clean to clean the valve & PB Blaster to lubricate it for testing.

Originally Posted by Phishin

No, I just know it can cause a rough running engine. So can many other things though.

But the symptoms came out of nowhere and then left.... As if it never happened

If I recall correctly, you like to run a lot of additives in your engine. As the others have mentioned, clean the screen and also change the oil to the correct type...and no additives.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
How is the oil condition & level?

It's great. No problem there. There's only 4200 miles on this oil and filter.

Originally Posted by The Critic
If I recall correctly, you like to run a lot of additives in your engine. As the others have mentioned, clean the screen and also change the oil to the correct type...and no additives.

Only soluble Moly that comes from Lubegard BioTech or Torco MPZ additive. Nothing colloidal. But yes, I'll look at the screen. But from all the videos on YouTube....when they pull the screen, it's always nice and clean and they are all "surprised". I'm guessing maybe the VTC Solenoid needs replaced. But I'll start with the screen.

Last edited:
I've seen the screen be clogged. If the engine is clean & your certain of that.....Pull the VCT Solenoid & clean it or just install a new one, Though I recommend a OE Honda part.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Its probably blocked screen clogging VTEC.

K24's have both VTEC & VCT, VTEC on both cams & VCT on the Intake cam only. His code is for the VCT (Cam Phasing) Not the VTEC system.

So every now and again, my car will have a "hard start". Maybe 1-2 times a year. Usually when I start the car cold and back it out of the garage or something...or move it across the street and when I go to re-start it later, it's can be shutter and be hard to start.

Maybe this incident is similar?

I just hate to go to a Honda dealer or a reputable repair facility and have them tear into it and just replace parts because "they have it part". What would you do? Would you open your wallet first or see if this symptom happens again first?? This IS a 10 year old car with almost 200k miles on it. Never had any issues with it.

I'm sure changing the timing chain, replacing the VCT solenoid and actuator, etc. will be in the $1000-$1500 range.

Chain could be just stretched enough that when it sits long enough the chain tensioner loses enough oil and slackens the chain enough to throw the timing off to pcm's threshold of setting the fault. That's what happened with my k24. It was maintained well since I owned it but from 0-100k miles I have no clue how well it was maintained. I had to replace my stretched chain around 175k miles if I remember right.

The description of your fault sounds like it came from a generic scan tool but doesn't sound like the fault description when timing is actually off.

I also had the vtec specific oil pressure switch go bad on mine. Never these screens getting clogged like I've seen people recommend to you, although I did replace the spool valve when doing the timing chain. It was stuck and ended up breaking when I tried to remove it (sealed via multiple o rings if I remember correctly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back