Pan drop and fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NavyVet88
Back story on my 02 Ranger with the 5R44E.

I did and a pan drop and filter/fluid change on my ranger a week ago. My Haynes manual states that my trans has a capacity of 9.9 quarts of mercon v total. When I dropped the pan, I got a little over three quarts of fluid out of it and replaced it with roughly the same amount. My trans shifts better and the (suspected) converter slip is pretty much gone from what I can tell.

Now...how many pan drops roughly would it take to get almost all the old fluid out? I know mathematically it seems that about three total pan drops with three quarts replaced each time would do it, But it seems it's a percentage thing to consider mostly. Also, should I replace the filter again in all of this since I did it on the first drop?

I don't know enough to do a line off exchange*

Use the appropriate Lubegard transmission additive to replace the worn out additives to the 6.6 quarts that were not drained out, don't get lured into thinking more filter and new pan replacement is best, it just makes people feel good when they do alot of work so it must be good, right?
TOTO.

Pan drop is easy enough on rangers. I do it for fun every 50k miles and change the filter too. Most of the fluid is in the converter and deep in the tranny so you'll never get it all out not do you need to if you do a pan drop every 50k miles. 3-5 quarts is normal. Add NOTHING but Mercon V (doesn't have to be Fords). No matter what you do this tranny usually dies by 250k miles. I do the transfer case every 30k miles with Valvoline transfer case fluid.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
Back story on my 02 Ranger with the 5R44E.

I did and a pan drop and filter/fluid change on my ranger a week ago. My Haynes manual states that my trans has a capacity of 9.9 quarts of mercon v total. When I dropped the pan, I got a little over three quarts of fluid out of it and replaced it with roughly the same amount. My trans shifts better and the (suspected) converter slip is pretty much gone from what I can tell.

Now...how many pan drops roughly would it take to get almost all the old fluid out? I know mathematically it seems that about three total pan drops with three quarts replaced each time would do it, But it seems it's a percentage thing to consider mostly. Also, should I replace the filter again in all of this since I did it on the first drop?

I don't know enough to do a line off exchange*

I think that 5 D&F will get you to 84% fresh fluid. Remember, after the first drop, you will be removing fresh fluid with the original old fluid. Someone can check my math, but I think it goes something like this:

Start 9.90 Qts Old 0.0 Qts New

1st D&F 6.90 Qts Old 3.0 Qts New 70/30 Mix

2nd D&F 4.80 Qts Old 5.10 Qts New 48/52 Mix

3rd D&F 3.36 Qts Old 6.54 Qts New 34/66 Mix

4th D&F 2.34 Qts Old 7.56 Qts New 24/76 Mix

5th D&F 1.62 Qts Old 8.28 Qts New 16/84 Mix

While this works, I found it easier to drain the rest all at once using the cooler line, after replacing the filter and rubber gasket and filling the pan. You just have to measure the amount removed so that you don't add too much back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back