Pirelli Cinturato P7 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus on both of my Volkswagens. One tire is worn more than the other three, so I'm probably going to replace two and use the other good one as a spare.

My question is this: Sam's Club has two different versions of this same tire, one for $112 and the other for $124. The less-expensive tire has a load rating of 91H, the other one 91V. "H" means approved for speeds up to 130 mph, "V" for speeds up to 149 mph.

Since I rarely exceed 90 mph and almost never over 100 mph, should I save $12 a tire and go with the 91H tire? Would there be any reasons why I should go with the tire rated for higher speeds?

You might want to check out tirerack.com. I had a the same problem when I bought my X3, two new Prielli's V rated, and two used Bridgestone's on the rear. I was able to find V rated, they were dropped shipped to one of their installers. Over all a good experience.

I'd do it. You should also check the specs, the H rated ones usually have longer mileage warranties vs the V rated ones. Typically the higher the speed rating, the softer the rubber compound and the quicker it wears. However all tires are a compromise between wear, handling and other characteristics. You just have to pick the ones that are important to you. Sometimes you run into issues where if the speed limiter on the car is 150+, the tire stores won't let you put anything on with a lower speed rating. Also a higher speed rated tire is likely to handle better and perhaps have shorter stopping distances due to softer tread compound.

V rated tires usually handle better due to their stiffer sidewalls and better grip. They tend to wear more quickly as the rubber is often softer. Look at the wear rating and make a determinations. It rarely makes for family sedans, I'd probably just stick with H unless your car came with V tires initially.

Does your VW require V rated tires?
And if so...
Will you be able to have an installer put them on your vehicle?
Many installers won't alter from the tire placard on the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Does your VW require V rated tires?
And if so...
Will you be able to have an installer put them on your vehicle?
Many installers won't alter from the tire placard on the vehicle.

Correction:
Will you be able to have your installer put H speed rated tires on when the placard says V?

If I read your post correctly, you are going to replace two of your four P7 Cinturato A/S+, with the question being "H or V speed rating?"

I would think the more relevant question is "what's the rating on the two remaining tires?"

As in, I wouldn't mix H and V rated tires on the same ride. Some will saying mixing tread patterns is more "verboten," but I'd go with consistency over $ savings.

And, does that 03 Golf in your signature really have 772k miles on it?

One thing that caught my eye in a CR tire review was that the T rated Altimax RT43 had better winter performance rankings than the higher speed rated RT43 they also tested in the same size (probably H?).
My wife and daughter have the T rated tires and I am glad for that as they both keep the same tires year round.
Mine have a higher rating, but I don't care so much since I run snows.
I kind of wish I hadn't bought mine as they are not much fun, but the T rated tires have been very good for us for safety in true all season use.
My basic point here is that tires with the same name in different speed ratings might have performance differences beyond warm/dry grip and ride quality.

I'd also vote to match what is already on the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Tornado Red
I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus on both of my Volkswagens. One tire is worn more than the other three, so I'm probably going to replace two and use the other good one as a spare.

My question is this: Sam's Club has two different versions of this same tire, one for $112 and the other for $124. The less-expensive tire has a load rating of 91H, the other one 91V. "H" means approved for speeds up to 130 mph, "V" for speeds up to 149 mph.

Since I rarely exceed 90 mph and almost never over 100 mph, should I save $12 a tire and go with the 91H tire? Would there be any reasons why I should go with the tire rated for higher speeds?

Definitely get the one that is recommended for your car.

Usually lower rated tires have less heat resistance, which you end up wearing them out quicker as you'll be driving it closer to its speed limit than higher rated one.

Go with the tire that is specified for your car. Sam's Club will NOT install a tire that is below specified speed rating for your car. If your car is spec'ed for V-rated tires, that is what they will install. If your car is spec'ed for H-rated tires but V-rated were installed, then you should match the other tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvo_qBRDQARIsAE-bsH8uV9sZHBG90MRPlxhT9ox5LrH6y71oy5uC5IVV2hb4ugcWs1_5xKMaAlCvEALw_wcB&techid=35&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwvo_qBRDQARIsAE-bsH8uV9sZHBG90MRPlxhT9ox5LrH6y71oy5uC5IVV2hb4ugcWs1_5xKMaAlCvEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!254641197780!p!!g!!speed%20rating

My wife drives alligator alley across the everglades to Miami. This is a LONG straight stretch of road, in the middle of no where, with no gas stations for like 50 miles, and no real emergency services that dont take a few hours to get there. She also does like 90 or 100 mph like everyone else. When they went to install the H rated tires, I made them install the V rated tires instead. It was a minor up charge, like $20. But the car rides better at speed, and has better tires. Win win. Also, the car originally came with V rated tires, so I kept the OEM speed rating.

Originally Posted by dkryan
If I read your post correctly, you are going to replace two of your four P7 Cinturato A/S+, with the question being "H or V speed rating?"

I would think the more relevant question is "what's the rating on the two remaining tires?"

As in, I wouldn't mix H and V rated tires on the same ride. Some will say mixing tread patterns is more "verboten," but I'd go with consistency over $ savings.

And, does that 03 Golf in your signature really have 772k miles on it?

The placard gives load ratings for 91H and no mention of 91V, so it appears that there's no advantage in going with the tires with the higher speed rating.

Also, yes this Golf TDI has 772k miles and I continue to add about 1000-1200 miles a week or about 60k miles a year. Parts wear out and need replacing (especially suspension parts) but not the engine or 5-speed gearbox; I'm typically getting about 250k-300k miles from the clutches.

Minor point: A family member had Pirelli Centurano P7's with a 94V rating (2012 Mazda3) which rode quite well.

We sold the car with 23,000 miles on the tires they looked real good. I didn't measure them.

When the "In charge, hands-on head-of-household" showed up to OK the deal he felt the tires and said, "These are near 90%".

You'll do OK with them but do as others have posted. Match the remaining tires' speed rating.

Plus, I prefer a higher load rating (like a 94) over the usual 87, 89 etc.

I "always thought" a higher speed rating would get you a better made tire. Possibly a cut and welded bead as opposed to one merely wound around.

+1 for matching what is on the car. Which tire is worn out? I run P7 on an R spec and P7 AS+ on another VW and couldn't be happier with them, I will replace them with the same tires when the time comes.
It is common on VW like yours to wear tires in the rear, many need a shim to bring the rear in spec. Easy job once you get the correct shim figured out.

I'd be looking at the load rating, not the speed rating. You should not put a tire that has a lower load rating than what originally came on the car. Check your tire placard.

For optimal vehicle balance in difficult conditions match the tires.

I loved those tires on my performance oriented 05 Subaru Legacy turbo wagon.

I've got ~51K miles running these tires on the wife's Rogue. I'm now about to the wear bars and they need replacement. I do 4-wheel alignments and rotate/balance about every 5-7K miles as well as run ~35psi.

These tires ran fine on her car and this is our "Touring car" for the weekends and road trips. I'd recommend them again for folks who want a good All Season tire (she has AWD).

I just wish I would get close to the magical 70K tire warranty these tires (and others) claim. Near impossible to get a decent claim through from my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back