Hyundai observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest complaint with the Korean brands isn't the ride or comfort, it's the steering and brakes. They provide zero feedback to the driver and feel very numb. Even playing with the steering assist settings that a lot of them have, I can't get it dialed in to be as enjoyable as other makes.

Also, they program the throttle tip in to make it feel like the car has a lot of power that it doesn't.

They do have the ride and NVH dialed in. The cars ride smooth and comfortable, and the Optima/Sonata have a ton of room inside.

Originally Posted by dishdude
My biggest complaint with the Korean brands isn't the ride or comfort, it's the steering and brakes. They provide zero feedback to the driver and feel very numb. Even playing with the steering assist settings that a lot of them have, I can't get it dialed in to be as enjoyable as other makes.

Also, they program the throttle tip in to make it feel like the car has a lot of power that it doesn't.

They do have the ride and NVH dialed in. The cars ride smooth and comfortable, and the Optima/Sonata have a ton of room inside.

Very true. I'm luckily that that stuff doesn't bother me. One day I'll get my Corvette and can have my street fun car
19.gif

I am the caretaker of a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS (cheapest car they made in 2012) and it has been a terrific little car. At 93,000 miles the 1.6L GDI engine is going strong and it is a very low maintenance vehicle.

Originally Posted by dishdude

Oh boy you hit the nail on the head. Steering and brakes were numb, but it was very easy to turn-- much like a 1985 Caprice lol.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The Lyft app was awesome too!! It showed exactly where she was,a picture of her with her name,and a picture of her vehicle. Then a map popped up on the phone's screen showing her route,esitimated time till she arrived,all in real time. Pretty sweet!!
Thanks for explaining to us how Lyft and Uber work.
smile.gif

The Telluride and Palisade are selling well. My wife's 2017 Santa Fe XL is going on two years old and 27,000 miles. It's been a great car. On a side note-my son's Sonata's motor self destructed at 113,000 miles-due to the known manufacturing defect of metallic particles inside the motor during assembly. Even tho he was outside the time/millage requirements for motor replacement, Hyundai went ahead and replaced the motor because he did take is car in for a service visit when this defect was brought to everyone's attention. They put him in a rental Malibu for two weeks while the motor was ordered and installed

ZERO cost to him.

As usual in threads like this-owners have positive things to say-non owners are less than flattering with their comments.

Last edited:
I actually went to buy a 2020 Corolla and drove home with a 2019 Kia Forte. This car drives like a dream and the engine is difficult to even tell that it's running. I am absolutely amazed at the quality of this vehicle.

I'm not sure about smoothest, etc but it is AMAZING to me how far Kia and Hyundai have come. I drove a '17 Santa Fe when we were shopping around and other than a bit of road noise, it was very impressive. From a driver standpoint; i would take one for sure over most other manufacturers.

I test drove a fairly new Elantra a year ago. It's a nice looking car with a lot of features and options, but I didn't care for the car's suspension. Riding down the highway, the tires were actually leaving the road surface when hitting the seams between pavement slabs. This was very annoying. Also about a year ago, my wife's van had to go to the Toyota dealership for a recall, and my loaner vehicle was a 2017 Corolla. I can say the Corolla was far and away better than the Elantra in every aspect...

Originally Posted by grampi
I test drove a fairly new Elantra a year ago. It's a nice looking car with a lot of features and options, but I didn't care for the car's suspension. Riding down the highway, the tires were actually leaving the road surface when hitting the seams between pavement slabs. This was very annoying. Also about a year ago, my wife's van had to go to the Toyota dealership for a recall, and my loaner vehicle was a 2017 Corolla. I can say the Corolla was far and away better than the Elantra in every aspect...

Every model minus the seldom seen Sport trim has a torsion beam rear suspension. The Sport has an independent rear suspension designed by an ex BMW suspension engineer and is fantastic.

I agree, the Elantra's suspension is not well-sorted. I drove an 18 yaris and it was worlds better. But in all honesty, I really don't care that much about it, because its a commuter car. If I got a good deal on one, I would be very happy with it.

That's the same experience I've had with all of them too. Super annoying on Illinois and Michigan highways.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

Every model minus the seldom seen Sport trim has a torsion beam rear suspension. The Sport has an independent rear suspension designed by an ex BMW suspension engineer and is fantastic.

I don't care who it was designed by, the ride sucked...

Originally Posted by Pew

That's the same experience I've had with all of them too. Super annoying on Illinois and Michigan highways.

My $50,000 pickup does the same thing with the solid axle in the rear-under the right conditions.

Overall they aren't bad cars, but they aren't as refined as their Japanese or American counterparts, which isn't really a big deal, as they are significantly cheaper.

Originally Posted by parimento1
Overall they aren't bad cars, but they aren't as refined as their Japanese or American counterparts, which isn't really a big deal, as they are significantly cheaper.

And yet people will swear up and down the Korean makes are as good, or better than the others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back