I want WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mamala Bay
Originally Posted by Astro14
The five year old in the seat in front of me (ORF-EWR commute this morning, Embraer RJ-145) is whining, crying, kicking the seat in front of her (where her mother is seated) to get her mother's attention after her father told her that the airplane doesn't have WiFi...

I'm just astonished by the whole scene...

Parents who won't admonish her behaviors.

A five year old who is entitled to WiFi, while flying in a plane!

Beyond even "first world problem"...

My kids had crayons, and coloring books. I wouldn't have allowed this egregious display of spoiled behavior...

Wow.

Just.

Wow.

crap isolating incident if made up, come one now i really don't see 5 year olds know what wifi is.....??? I mean they haven't gone to school yet. A child begins to reason at 7 years old.

Hardly made up.

Happened three feet in front of me.

Not everything is learned in school.

This kid has clearly had a tablet for long enough to learn what WiFi is...

I've been through the receiving end of a kid kicking the seat back. It's not pleasant at all and a couple of look backs didn't stop the kid either. This was on a long haul from SFO to MNL. The mother seemed to be on another planet.

My patience was sorely tested on that flight. That kid was either eating or playing video games the entire flight. 14 hours.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Kids do absolutely understand tech and know if they do/don't have WiFi.

Someone wrote on Facebook once: "I was struggling to figure out what went wrong with my Macbook Pro. I gave up helf day through, and called my designated IT engineer, my 5 year old son."

Originally Posted by Astro14
The five year old in the seat in front of me (ORF-EWR commute this morning, Embraer RJ-145) is whining, crying, kicking the seat in front of her (where her mother is seated) to get her mother's attention after her father told her that the airplane doesn't have WiFi...

I'm just astonished by the whole scene...

Parents who won't admonish her behaviors.

There comes a time for the "Oh my gosh, I'm sorry, no really" for that moment when you're returning from the loudly sucking hole in the front or rear of the plane where you WANT to put the parent/kid. It's time for the "Oh no, look out!" tripping on the airline's loose carpet near-fall while holding your full drink. And if some manages to get on the parent - bonus points. Good for use only once on each flight but highly satisfying. Inside tip - act like you injured your elbow or something. Keeps the cabin crew's interest pegged on getting you attention and avoiding a lawsuit.

Signed: million miler on two different airlines and Lord only knows how many miles.

You should hear the whining from the teenage stepsons in my house if there is ever an interruption in the Uverse service. If they can't watch their Youtube videos or play their video games, it's practically the end of the world. They have actually demanded I call AT&T if it's down for more than a few minutes. Um, no.

Without fail, everywhere I go for a meal, I will witness one or more out-of-control children, making noise, disturbing others, running wild while the oblivious mother stands there staring into space, or scrolling through something on her phone. I remember a time when children feared getting a knot jerked in them for such public behavior. Now, it's blown off as 'children will be children' and the parents actually defend their behavior. It's infuriating.

Yep

https://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/guy-owns-annoying-kid-in-checkout-line/84388555/

Last edited:
I had to do that once on a long haul flight. The kid was going on like he had ants in his pants and kept grabbing the top of the headrest and my hair in the process. I gave him the evil stare. He then proceeded to tell his mother that I was a mean man looking at him.

I see it from time to time - and I must be an international tester of earplugs and NC earbuds …

One of the worst displays was a couple years ago - the other way around. A bling-bling couple were on the LAX to IAH flight in 1A/1C … I was in 1D so no way to avoid this.
The woman buzzed flight attendants nonstop because she did not like her drink - they finally made it right and she drank them like water. Buzz-buzz for more.
She was very-very rude and her wimp husband just watched his iPad and said nothing. It got so bad that one of the flight attendants asked me to step up to the galley. When this queen had gone to the restroom - she came out and threated to get the flight attendant fired. I calmly told them I'm a Global Services passenger and here is my phone number on the back of my boarding pass - got your back on this mess if they actually complain.
They finally told her she needs to stop ringing them because the rest of the cabin was not getting served. That's when the teenage daughter started barking at the crew.
I told them to please tell the Capt and he (or FO) came back to (firm & fair) teach her a bit about rules of the sky. (she was pretty boozed up by then anyway).
So there was only one on that flight to get the evil eye - me … but not a word said there or on the ground.
Just amazing how calm it got after that - and no one ever called my phone number.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I had to do that once on a long haul flight. The kid was going on like he had ants in his pants and kept grabbing the top of the headrest and my hair in the process. I gave him the evil stare. He then proceeded to tell his mother that I was a mean man looking at him.

What was the mother doing while the little monster was terrorizing you when she was probably right next to him? Sometimes the parents are worse than the kids.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

What was the mother doing while the little monster was terrorizing you when she was probably right next to him? Sometimes the parents are worse than the kids.

'The fruit does not fall far from the tree'

Originally Posted by cjcride
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

'The fruit does not fall far from the tree'

The mother was too absorbed in the movie or whatever she was watching on the seat back screen.

There was a time when parents took into consideration whether their children were okay to travel without causing a commotion. Nowadays, anything goes. I've seen mothers with newborn babies traveling over the oceans. It used to be said that babies needed their ears to develop before flying. Then of course there is the changing of diapers right in the seat. The resulting odor bomb is obvious to all. Good flight attendants will intervene and help and educate.

There was a time when parents took into consideration whether their children were okay to travel without causing a commotion. Nowadays, anything goes. I've seen mothers with newborn babies traveling over the oceans. It used to be said that babies needed their ears to develop before flying. Then of course there is the changing of diapers right in the seat. The resulting odor bomb is obvious to all. Good flight attendants will intervene and help and educate.

If I ever meet someone and start a family, my offspring will not be on an airplane until they 5 or 6 if I had the choice. There's a reason why the Sienna and Odyssey are still being built.

On my most recent flight(SFO-YVR-SFO), I saw quite a few kids on their phones and everyone was decently behaved. I didn't spring for wifi or booze, I had my book and watched the moving map on my Pixel with a pair of Bluetooth headphones(my Bose QC25s are broken, I have a pair of BeatsX that do a good job of noise isolation). I also carried a stuffed cat in my backpack, that cat came in handy on the return flight to soothe a couple's baby who was sitting behind my row. And I think I caught a sinus infection from that kid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back