So many oil changes, so little time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following is one of the stupidest comments I have read lately:

In response to: Amsoil or Pennzoil, which wins Championship? Let's find out! Conducted by Project Farm on Youtube.

I read the following comment:

"Pennzoil Ultra 2nd Best at half the price, I'd say that's a win ðŸ‘ðŸ¼I'll continue using the Ultra stuff and now with confirmation that I'm putting great stuff in my engine."

Now that's the Viewpoint I want to take with my late model, close tolerance, fuel-injected engine. Second best is good enough for me! But hea man it's cheaper right? I'll just change it twice as much since it's half as good. Makes perfect (non)sense to me...

I don't get that the person will be changing twice as often from their comment. I think you are over-analyzing it. Basically the idea is that Pennzoil is still pretty good, so they are satisfied with it for the price, and why wouldn't they be? The reality is that if you pay top dollar for a boutique highly rated oil, does it really make THAT much of a difference over a very good rated oil? Chances are the engine will outlast the body, and the car will be totaled by someone hitting it. Sometimes buying "the best" doesn't always make the most financial sense.

The Blackstone guy has never found any difference in wear and changes using the cheapest oil that meets grade. Two things I'm sure of are that I'll never live in Manhattan and that I'll never use Amsoil. But if it's your thing go ahead. I've owned almost forty vehicles and only lost one engine and that was from overheating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cwhard

The following is one of the stupidest comments I have read lately:

In response to: Amsoil or Pennzoil, which wins Championship? Let's find out! Conducted by Project Farm on Youtube.

I read the following comment:

"Pennzoil Ultra 2nd Best at half the price, I'd say that's a win ðŸ‘ðŸ¼I'll continue using the Ultra stuff and now with confirmation that I'm putting great stuff in my engine."

Now that's the Viewpoint I want to take with my late model, close tolerance, fuel-injected engine. Second best is good enough for me! But hea man it's cheaper right? I'll just change it twice as much since it's half as good. Makes perfect (non)sense to me...

What benefit will you gain by using the best vs the second best? Why do you conclude PU is half as good?

I guess I'm not seeing much of a problem there. Maybe an auto enthusiast voicing his opinion. We get a lot of that here too, some opinions are better than others. Some totally off the wall.

I can afford Ultra and Amsoil, I ran with Ultra. My opinion, which is just that, Ultra represented a better value, for me. As always opinions vary.

I'll let another poster's opinion speak for me about the OP's comment.
[Linked Image]

I think you're over analyzing and reading too much into the YouTube comment.

But you do you...

Last edited:
These project farm videos make me laugh anyway. Dude is making a killing on people watching and believing totally basic and unscientific "tests."

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
These project farm videos make me laugh anyway. Dude is making a killing on people watching and believing totally basic and unscientific "tests."

It's called gullibility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
Dumbest* thread of the day winner ...

Mama always said, "dumb is as dumb does"..

I would NEVER attempt to use Ultra for a 15K EDI, but do it all the time with the 'other brand'. Most threads that I have ready on this site change Ultra at 7500, hence the 2x comment. And don't forget to factor in the additional cost of that second oil filter (sense money was mentioned). Not to mention that recycled oil is inconsistently reused, meaning that it sometimes ends up being reused for environmentally harmful applications.

I personally choose to nip it in the bud by not producing so much waste, but rock on with your own method (even if outdated).

Dumbest thread of the day winner ...

Every post he makes is about Amsoil being the holy grail. Should we let him know Amsoil buys their base stocks from the majors? Oh and they use the same type of additives as everyone else?

Real application performance between any of the leading SN+ oils provide little to no difference in performance or wear.

Also keep in mind OP most of us are going to stick to the manufacturers recommend OCI in our vehicles. Nothing wrong with Amsoil products, I like them as well, but products from M1, SOPUS, Valvoline, and Castrol are all on par for the large majority of applications and meet or exceed manufacturer requirements while costing less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Railrust
So basically what I'm gathering is...if you don't use Amsoil you go straight to H E L L.

If I don't use their engine oil but their gear oil and some other of their products will I maybe go to Purgatory instead of H E L L
lol.gif
Whimsey

Dumbest thread of the day winner ...

The OP only comes on here to virtue signal his Amsoil propaganda and this is the latest example.

Originally Posted by Railrust
So basically what I'm gathering is...if you don't use Amsoil you go straight to H E L L.

...‚...‚...‚...do not pass Go, do not collect $200!

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen.... let's get ready to RUUUMMMBBBLLEEEEE!!!!!

In this corner wearing 270 tassles from the finest university's of the world, weighing in at 300 tons, is an army of chemical engineers!

And in this corner weighing in at 150 pounds... and 3 ounces thanks to the phone he uses to make Youtube videos... let's hear it for the Amsoil Informercial Guy!!!

Fight clean!

iirc, someone said that tolerances haven't changed much since older days? Was that OVERKILL? where is he by the way? Haven't seen him post!

Originally Posted by cwhard
Now that's the Viewpoint I want to take with my late model, close tolerance ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back