Retirement years.... Is bankruptcy in your future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
America needs more Labor Unions for better wages, benefits , job security and retirement.....

thumbsup2.gif
34.gif
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted by gfh77665

Old timer?? I am still putting my son (above) through college. I am not old. You need to recalculate, Max.

Your son is lucky. Most parents can't afford to do that.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
A person is responsible for their own retirement future, not the government.

Retired people can collect shopping carts at Walmart if they forgot to save for retirement.

It is whoever takes on the responsibility. Could be Government, employer or employee. Responsibility has shifted and we see the results.

You mean if they are healthy enough and don't face age discrimination.

Last edited:
Well one way to avoid bankruptcy for the elderly is to just die with a lot of debt. Nothing the banks can do then, they just have to write off whatever you owe although if you have a mortgage they could foreclose on the home.

For those of you who are whining that you got it soooo bad, and that things are soooo unfair to you, I have one final question.

Where else would want to live around the globe? Think hard before you answer that!
34.gif

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Well one way to avoid bankruptcy for the elderly is to just die with a lot of debt.

With minimum wages in many areas going to $15, a retired couple could rake in $60,000 a year working at McDonalds.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by gfh77665

Old timer?? I am still putting my son (above) through college. I am not old. You need to recalculate, Max.

Your son is lucky. Most parents can't afford to do that.

Its not "luck".

Again, I worked hard, lived well within my means, and diligently saved for the future.

It is whoever takes on the responsibility. Could be Government, employer or employee. Responsibility has shifted and we see the results.

Not sure I am tracking this line -- 'Responsibility has shifted and we see the results'.

Are you saying it used to be the government and/or employer's responsibility and that has shifted to the individual and that is the root cause of the issue you originally linked to?

Originally Posted by atikovi

With minimum wages in many areas going to $15, a retired couple could rake in $60,000 a year working at McDonalds.

You are right! That blows the "life is so unfair" narrative though, LOL.

My lived the oldest of his 4 brothers and died at 63. I'm 56 and doing my best to save for retirement and live life to its fullest while I have my health. It's a tough balancing act. No one gets it perfect. You're either old and feeble and have a lot of money wishing you would have taken that trip or bought that fancy car or moved to a nicer house... or you're healthy and poor and wishing you didn't take that trip, or bought that fancy car or stayed in your modest house....

Wife and I are planning to spend our money now on fun experiences and we'll live more modestly when we're older. I was worried we'd only have a million dollars net worth when we retire but I'm reading that we'll be fine with that.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
A person is responsible for their own retirement future, not the government.

Retired people can collect shopping carts at Walmart if they forgot to save for retirement.

Many people thought they had saved for retirement, but got screwed. Offhand, the average pension at Polaroid was $12. Not $1200/year, not $12 a week. Twelve dollars.

The next pension to implode is probably the CSPF, mostly UPS employees.

I want to stress that I am NOT referencing biblical principals as religion, but as philosophy. The number one "religion" in the U.S. - and perhaps the world - is materialism, a form of idolatry. Biblical admonishment is that idolatry is bad philosophy and thus prohibited. Forget your religion and what religious text may guide you. That's just good advice.

Also, I didn't notice a mention of older parents supporting adult children to their own detriment. I think it's fine to help out your adult children - if they are demonstrating good work ethic and financial discipline. But, don't do it to the point of sacrificing your savings and retirement. You also want to make it an occasional thing, not something that might bring about dependence.

I think Social Security should be allowed to crash, and a new National Pension fund should be started, for everyone that pays in.

A pension that works like social security, but with hybrid mechanisms so when the minimum wage increases, or inflation, or weak dollar, it shall be immune. Backed by gold and silver. Not based on age but based on paying in.

I was raised with the adult idea that if I can't purchase with cash then I can't afford it.The only exceptions were getting an education, health and a home. In addition; I tried to save/invest 10%+ of every paycheck. I've had set backs of course but, the philosophy has served me well and I am 22 years into my retirement and I have no worries. Ed

This weekend driving through some of the fancier neighborhood's here in KCMO my boys remarked wow they must be rich. I told them you can't judge how rich or poor someone might be by their possessions.. houses, cars etc.. they're either rich or in debt up to their eyeballs. You never know the true millionaire, might be on our block. I'm trying to teach them proper finances unlike I got, can't say my parents didn't try but the information is so readily available these days. The wife and I have made our mistakes but we'll make up for that over the next 10 years. House will be paid off next year and no other debt. Wanting to be FI in 10 years and FIRE in 15 years. The Joneses are now broke..

Too many people buy the most expensive home they can afford, the most expensive cars. While not saving for retirement. The elderly income problem is their own fault from when they were young.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
gfh77665 said:
It takes $120k a year income to own a house in Toronto, my Dad owned three at one point on a single blue collar salary 30 years ago. The times have changed, old timer.

You have also made the choice to live (or at least quote a housing statistic) in one of the most grossly overpriced areas in all of North America. There are a lot of very affordable, very retiree friendly areas in the United States (I can't speak for Canada because I wouldn't want to live there no matter what). Down around here housing is very affordable, and property taxes are very low. Once I reach 65 the property taxes are waived and social security income is not taxed. It's one of the reasons we chose to invest and stay in this area instead of chasing higher wages in larger cities.

It's also one of the reasons why we were both fully retired by age 55 and enjoying a significant income-rather than play the flashy car game we chose to invest in our futures early on. Being able to retire comfortably is a choice that everyone can make, but many people don't make that choice.

There are some people who don't understand interest and pay it. There are others who understand interest and earn it.

How to lose weight: exercise more, eat less. Problem solved right?.... Not so easy.

It actually is that easy
laugh.gif

But nobody wants to do the work, make the commitment, or hold themselves accountable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back