Tell me about gun ranges that you have on your own property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son lives on 15 acres in a neighboring county about 10 miles away. I take a folding card table and a folding metal chair along with a cheap Caldwell polymer target stand ($25) and a cheap Caldwell gun rest. Step off 50 or 100 yard distances then start wasting bullets. We shoot mostly rimfire rifles but occasionally pistols at shorter distances. About as basic as can be but great fun with the grand kids.

I live within driving distance to Knob Creek http://www.knobcreekrange.com

But normally just shoot on private land for recreation no real range involved just set up a target to a distance you want to shoot with a good backstop to prevent bullets from straying off.

Setting up a range depends on if you have a gun type in mind. Pistol is much different than sniper rifle. Shotgun is it's own beast and for that i personally have always liked sporting clays ranges.

Nothing special really, just a mowed field with metal targets in the back 40.... Shoot off of folding tables or ATV,,, and got a NRA gun hold down to help zero in stuff.

I only invite trusted people, some I make them sign some forms. Sometimes we just bench shoot, or sometimes we run n' shoot, which is a blast. The women must wear bikinis and we are throwing fire crackers and smoke bombs while the guy shoots in "[censored] fire" drills.

Last edited:
100m, AR500 steel 2/3 IPSC steel.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My 7 acres has just a 50 yard pistol range.
I couldn't do rifle because there's houses too close to the direction where I would need to shoot to get the distance.

It's OK - a buddy down the road has a 1/2 mile range set up on his place!

Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by Ws6
100m, AR500 steel 2/3 IPSC steel.
[Linked Image]

Beautiful!!!
Can you clay shoot there!?!! Sport of Kings

I'd have to be mindful of the fall-zone, but yeah.

Directly behind my house is NENA, Northeast Everglades Natural Area. It's bordered by a berm that is about 12 to 15 feet high. Makes a fantastic backstop. My maximum practical range shooting from behind the house is 63 yards, not great, not horrible. The good news is that if a round were to go over the berm (very unlikely due to height) it's going into unoccupied and off limits wetlands. Since trespassing or airboats and such are not allowed there.

"IF" I set up shop near the street and shot at the berm, I could have exactly 100 yards. But it's really "not cool" to do that. Despite the fact that it's safe, I'm 100% sure it would attract unwanted attention.

I spy a hill in my backyard that I'd like to use but I might not get past rimfire due to neighbors. But I'll see. 5 acres mostly wooded, mostly behind me so I think it'll be fine.

My friend has 40 acres in a valley than has 4 wheeler/side by side roads through it. He put one liter empty plastic bottles hanging from wires along both sides of the road hanging high, low, and midway. 30 bottles in all. It is a blast to have one guy drive a side by side (like a Polaris Ranger) and the other guy shoots a shotgun. More than a box of shells on the way out and more than a box on the way back. It's hard even with a 12 ga,, but one guy we know can do pretty well with a .410. It's a narrow valley and no close houses so it's a safe shoot. Kind of out in the middle of nowhere so the noise is not a problem either. Part of the fun is that the bottles are not evenly spaced or in any kind of order so each one is a surprise.

I walk out my back yard and I have access to hundreds/thousands of undeveloped acres of woodlands. It will never be devolved either as it was designated for wild life. A developer cleared "streets" 40 years ago for a future developed neighborhood that never happened. Consequently, these long bull dozed "streets" are really long and perfectly straight rifle ranges with thick trees and brush on the sides. It's amazing honestly, and perfectly free and just a wonderful place to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back