200K Miles too many buying a used Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Pew
I wouldn't. There's going to be more issues with rotten seals, bushings, and other suspension parts with age.

I tend to agree, you just can't keep up with the rubber replacement on vehicles as they age, because there's too many pieces, and it's too expensive. People don't realize that once your vehicle reaches a certain age, or a certain mileage, all of those rubber bushings, hoses and gaskets are shot. That front end is in need of serious repair...a control arm here, a set of sway bar bushings, sway bar links, steering rack bushings, the ball joints and tie rods are worn out. Then when you replace all of that? You blow a transmission cooler line, the bottom radiator hose blows, the power steering line let's go, the valve cover gaskets are leaking all over the engine, the oil pan is dripping onto the driveway, the rear main seal is weeping, the oil pressure switch is leaking like a sieve, the thermostat housing gasket is leaking, the rubber grommets for the PCV valve system aren't sealing anymore...or the hose for the PCV valve has collapsed on itself (because it's so weak) and oil is pouring out from every gasket in the entire engine (that happened to me once and that was quite a surprise). And trying getting some of this stuff, you'll go aftermarket because it's cheaper and easier to get...then it won't fit quite right...but you'll make it fit...then six months later you'll be replacing the aftermarket part with something else, probably another aftermarket part because someone will tell you on the Internet that "this one is just like OE", and then you'll spend almost as much as OE, and then it'll fail in six months.

I have taken three vehicles over the 200,000 mile milestone, for the people saying it's a piece of cake...they are forgetting a lot of things. And I can work on this stuff (I'm an ASE master tech). But working on stuff with over 200,000 miles is like putting your finger in the dam while waiting for the other leak to spring.

Last edited:
It's a good buy for the price. You can't get much for $5k in todays world. More than likely you can drive it a couple years and still resell it for about the same amount. Like others have said you do take a chance on something breaking but you also take a chance on having a vehicle that will run a long time. The trick is try to determine if its in good shape to start with. If it's in good shape it should keep going a long time but if there is a problem it might not show up right away. It's too bad you can use it for a week, put on a bunch of miles, and determine if its good or not. It's always after you buy them that these problematic cars rear their ugly heads.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Look and see how bad the brake pedal is worn. Less wear on brake pedal equals more highway miles.

I replace the brake pedal on every car I sell if it's worn significantly so that wouldn't mean much.

I'd at least do the 4 hour road trip. Pick out a couple of great places to eat. Get an audio book or some podcasts. You and your wife make it a date trip

Most people don't just hand you the keys for a test drive, they come along. Can't imagine they would tolerate anything over an hour, let alone four.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Right now, my wife would be driving the 05 odyssey 20 miles to work and back (she just started full time after stay at home mom stint). She'd get high 20's on the highway. The MDX is 15 city 20 highway... ouch.

If you're talking 20 mile round trip the difference would be about $250/year with $3 gas.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Right now, my wife would be driving the 05 odyssey 20 miles to work and back (she just started full time after stay at home mom stint). She'd get high 20's on the highway. The MDX is 15 city 20 highway... ouch.

If you're talking 20 mile round trip the difference would be about $250/year with $3 gas.

The MDX gets 22 MPG in optimal conditions however the 19-20 MPG is normal highway.

15 MPG though is rare I find that is more 17 MPG.

It really depends on it's condition. If you can get it for $4000 and it has been garaged and very well maintained it is worth it. I've seen 200k mile cars that look brand new and have been garaged their whole life, and I've seen cars that are beat to death by 100k.

I wouldn't, unless you have your heart set on that make/model, otherwise too many miles to pay $5K for. Luxury, plus (any) SUVs too, have more to break and tend to cost more to repair when they do.

This $5K price range is tricky because unlike a $1500 beater, for $5K you should have some expectations, and will want to put each specimen of vehicle on a lift to have it extensively inspected, not just generalizing about some brand being reliable or how many miles "some" of them achieve. It could look good on top and be so rusted on the bottom that you can't even jack it up on the pinch welds.

MDX is actually a simple to repair vehicle generally then luxury counterparts. It had the familiar Honda V6 drivetrain. My Subaru expert $65/hr mechanic loves the simple repair and maintenance on it.

The only thing he did not love was timing belt change but was quite familiar with V6 Honda.

Only if the car is cheap enough. This one isn't. Not even close.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

Curious what a good price is to you for a taken care of 200k SUV.

Honestly, the price doesn't sound that bad if everything is sorted out/in serviceable condition. $5K does not go far at all, and a fully functional, clean 11-12 year old MDX for that price sounds reasonable even at 200k.

Good used cars are not cheap, at least not around here.

You should of course be prepared to deal with things that may come up, but a 100k mile example could have a catastrophic failure too, and a new one is $50K.
21.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
Look and see how bad the brake pedal is worn. Less wear on brake pedal equals more highway miles.

I replace the brake pedal on every car I sell if it's worn significantly so that wouldn't mean much.

I'd at least do the 4 hour road trip. Pick out a couple of great places to eat. Get an audio book or some podcasts. You and your wife make it a date trip

Most people don't just hand you the keys for a test drive, they come along. Can't imagine they would tolerate anything over an hour, let alone four.

Regarding the brake pedal, it would mean something if it is worn, now wouldn't it? You are the first person I have ever heard that replaces his brake pedal.
Very deceptive, I will give you credit for that.

Regarding the 4 hour trip, I wasn't talking about taking a 4 hour test drive. I was talking about taking 4 hours driving time to see the car. LOL
I was suggesting he take his wife with him going up and coming back. Approximately 4 hours driving up and back. Audiobook, podcast, take your wife.
That way if he bought it, he would have an extra driver to drive both cars back. I guess you think I'm a little on the ignorant side.....

19.gif

Looking at a 2008 Acura MDX private party for $5000 USD.

Pictures seem like it was well taken care of. Owner claims he has service records etc.

Wanted to get some opinions before driving 2 hours just to look at it.

Get it on a hoist and check for rust and suspension damage. Paint might look good but underneath can be someting else.

The 3.7's tend to have oil consumption issues. 200K is a ton of miles for any car.

Originally Posted by Railrust
Originally Posted by Pew
I wouldn't. There's going to be more issues with rotten seals, bushings, and other suspension parts with age.

I tend to agree, you just can't keep up with the rubber replacement on vehicles as they age, because there's too many pieces, and it's too expensive. People don't realize that once your vehicle reaches a certain age, or a certain mileage, all of those rubber bushings, hoses and gaskets are shot. That front end is in need of serious repair...a control arm here, a set of sway bar bushings, sway bar links, steering rack bushings, the ball joints and tie rods are worn out. Then when you replace all of that? You blow a transmission cooler line, the bottom radiator hose blows, the power steering line let's go, the valve cover gaskets are leaking all over the engine, the oil pan is dripping onto the driveway, the rear main seal is weeping, the oil pressure switch is leaking like a sieve, the thermostat housing gasket is leaking, the rubber grommets for the PCV valve system aren't sealing anymore...or the hose for the PCV valve has collapsed on itself (because it's so weak) and oil is pouring out from every gasket in the entire engine (that happened to me once and that was quite a surprise). And trying getting some of this stuff, you'll go aftermarket because it's cheaper and easier to get...then it won't fit quite right...but you'll make it fit...then six months later you'll be replacing the aftermarket part with something else, probably another aftermarket part because someone will tell you on the Internet that "this one is just like OE", and then you'll spend almost as much as OE, and then it'll fail in six months.

I have taken three vehicles over the 200,000 mile milestone, for the people saying it's a piece of cake...they are forgetting a lot of things. And I can work on this stuff (I'm an ASE master tech). But working on stuff with over 200,000 miles is like putting your finger in the dam while waiting for the other leak to spring.

This is the truth.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by zzyzzx

Curious what a good price is to you for a taken care of 200k SUV.

A good price would be $1000. Don't go higher than $1500.

The mileage wouldn't drive me off, but the price would....that's way to much for a vehicle with that many miles...

Regarding the brake pedal, it would mean something if it is worn, now wouldn't it? You are the first person I have ever heard that replaces his brake pedal.
Very deceptive, I will give you credit for that.

He flips cars, dealers flip cars too. These tricks are nothing new to people that flip cars for a living and is the reason why I never buy a used car from a dealer, or when I sense it is a flip pretending to be a private party sale.
Rolling back odometers, hiding water damage, body damage, shining everything up so you won't see oil leaks or interior wear. It's just a tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back