Push starting an automatic car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevy powerglide would roll start but I needed at least 20mph, maybe 25 to do it. Was eerie because it was silent and there was zero feedback. I just hoped at the bottom of the hill that the gas pedal would respond. Rolling a classic Chevy down a hill long enough to reach that speed, with the transmission holding it back, took a long, and steep, hill. Powerglides had both front and rear pumps on them iirc.

The pre 1965? Chrysler 727 Torqueflites had rear pumps and could be push or tow started.

yes hank is right 1965 was the last year Chrysler had a rear pump and could be push started. the funny car drag racers liked that . an other think i found was if going from P to R it banged hard. you need to pull the lever all the way LO first as that loaded the servo with 150 psi first. then when going to R it didint bang as hard. cause R loaded the servo with 300 psi.

no. most trans oil pump are gerotor type. that push the oil in a smooth flow. most engine oil pumps have flat sharp gears the that make sharp pressure spikes. and tend to put air into the oil. and are noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back