Funny oil change moment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was helping a buddy change the oil in his truck earlier (not really helping, I was just there because we were hanging out).

He was getting more and more irritated because the last person who did it put the drain plug and filter on way too tight and he was having a heck of a time trying to break them loose.

Then came the realization that in fact, HE was the last person who had done it
lol.gif

Last edited:
I've been changing oil/filter since ~1969-70. The strangest thing I've seen is when I would unscrew & pull the oil drain plug and no oil would come out. I had to insert a screwdriver in the hole to move aside the sludge.

Then the oil coming out would be coal black/gray/muck. The yuckiest oil you've ever seen. Maybe 20,000ish miles on the oil change...IIRC. I wouldn't know how many qts of makeup oil was added during that OCI and IDK how many qts came out as it went into one of those 20ish gallon oil lift drain/whatever they're called.

It would've been better if the OP's friend jumped up and down like Rumplestilskin swearing and cussing the bimbo who overtightened things THEN realized he did it.

Want my "funny" oil change moment? "Funny" as in horrible and dismaying.

Moved out. Went home and decided to change the oil in my Dad's 1983 Buick Regal wagon (V6-don't ask which one but I wouldn't mind knowing).

Maybe 12 ounces of oil drained. Dear old Dad couldn't be bothered and NO, I didn't just break a Commandment.

I was watching a friend of my change oil when we were teenagers
He forgot to put the oil pan drain plug back before he started adding oil
About quart 2 or 3 getting poured in, then the oil started flowing out from under the car
That was a woops moment and I have never done it myself. Learned that lesson well

My worst oil change moment was my very first one I did when I got my car.

I have one of those used oil container things with the little caps you unscrew on the top or sides.

I was draining out my oil and I had my drain plug sitting on the edge of the used oil container so I wouldn't forget where I put it.

After the car stopped dripping oil from the pan I went to move the used oil container aside and the drain plug ended up rolling into it. I had to use my stick magnet thing to fish for my drain plug before I could continue.

I knew a kid came from a rich family that did not work on anything. He personally did not have much money so decided to change oil himself. Put in a whole case 12 cans (this was a long time ago) and when he started it, it blew oil all over. He shut it off right away. No real harm, I bet it shot out a couple of quarts from the road draft tube. Lots of smoke. huge mess on driveway.

Lawn mowers in those days you checked oil at a small plug on the sump and filled to overflowing. Then someone decided to improve them. Put on extension tube and dip stick. Yep, occasionally someone filled one to overflowing. I probably fixed 2 of them in the 6 years I did that part time. One blew off the extension tube and shot oil 20 foot in the air, wish I had seen that it would have been so funny. the other had that tube retained with a holder, so it blew off the tappet cover and the seal on the tube. Both were easy fixes.

Rod

Originally Posted by Eddie
I have noticed that even though I hand tighten my oil filters, that they can't be removed by hand. Weird. Ed
Yup , engine vibration and heat cycling tend to tighten a spin on filter . A 1/4 -1/2 turn past hand snug allows you to remove by hand though. 1/4 turn past snug is good for plugs too
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
... Put in a whole case 12 cans (this was a long time ago) and when he started it, it blew oil all over. He shut it off right away. No real harm, I bet it shot out a couple of quarts from the road draft tube. ...
In the days of draft tubes, and for a couple of decades thereafter, a normal case of engine oil was 24 quarts.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I was helping a buddy change the oil in his truck earlier (not really helping, I was just there because we were hanging out).

He was getting more and more irritated because the last person who did it put the drain plug and filter on way too tight and he was having a heck of a time trying to break them loose.

Then came the realization that in fact, HE was the last person who had done it
lol.gif

That's funny......‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back