Here it is, first Rotella Gas Truck 5W20 VOA

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I think the real reason people shop at Aldi is ketchup is essentially ketchup, and they get it at Aldi's for about 1/3 of the price as at the Evil Empire. I know I would (and do) personally drive 20 miles to avoid spending my money with the devils of Bentonville. I only buy oil from them, and only because it's 67% of the cost of our 5 local parts stores.

And I thought you shopped at Rural King
smile.gif

Rural King unfortunately does not carry a large selection... you get the HK brands, PYB, VWB, VML blend, Mobil Super, and Havoline conventional. Every now and then they will have some good deals on HDEOs, but the real reason I shop RK is for the $7.99 Fram Ultras
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I feel like Shell wants to keep things simple with Rotella Gas Truck, labeling it as an all mileage product conveys that it can be used in any age or mileage circumstance. I have seen a lot of market research that shows that many people, males in particular, do not to have to decide between an abundance of choices like in a grocery store for example. They don't want to have to go into a grocery store and chhose between 30 different brands of ketchup, with some brands having multiple variations of their ketchup. Many people love shopping at Aldi because they are not innundated with choices, they just get Aldi brand ketchup and go.

Particularly for fleet sales, this is helpful.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
What's the benefit of using this oil verses a PCMO ?

Dunno...but I got a 5qt jug on deck for pcmo use. The moly and boron levels are attractive for an off the shelf pcmo, err I mean truck oil ...‚. The low starting TBN is a little disconcerting but I'm not going to pass judgement just yet, let's see how TBN retention/and TAN goes when I test it.

(if I were to take a guess, the formulators boosted the EP additives to appease truck owners?? Under peak loads (high heat) and WOT, EP additives play a big role in preventing wear)

Last edited:
Hatter, you should read up on ashless detergents and their result on TBN. It basically sums up to the fact that TBN is no longer a straightforward determiner, and should be used with the TAN test as well.

Results seem to be 1-2 full points lower when using ashless detergents.

Very pleased with the 5w30 version of this oil and the quiet cold morning starts. Probably the 170ppm of moly. Will possibly do a UOA late spring.

Agreed. Luckily I have a meijer store so I can avoid that cluster. The only thing I buy at Walmart is wood pellets for my traeger and that's because meijer doesn't sell them. I buy 4 bags at a time so that buys me months between trips.

I think the real reason people shop at Aldi is ketchup is essentially ketchup, and they get it at Aldi's for about 1/3 of the price as at the Evil Empire. I know I would (and do) personally drive 20 miles to avoid spending my money with the devils of Bentonville. I only buy oil from them, and only because it's 67% of the cost of our 5 local parts stores.

Originally Posted by buster
Very pleased with the 5w30 version of this oil and the quiet cold morning starts. Probably the 170ppm of moly. Will possibly do a UOA late spring.

I can verify that RGT and a half quart of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer will stop oil consumption dead in its tracks on a ten yr old Nissan Altima 2.5. I've dealt with this car using oil since I drove it off the lot and am glad I finally found a cocktail that works. Plus cold morning starts in ohio are silky smooth.

a
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by Eddie
Is not the Calcium a bit high for turbo charged engines??Ed

I had the same thought.

It's not high enough to be a concern. It's usually when the CA levels get well over 2000 when there might be an issue. It meets dexosgen2 and sn+ so lspi shouldn't be a concern.

Last edited:
Calcium is much higher than I prefer. The chart printed the wrong cst@100 numbers, which seems intended for 5w30, not 5w20.

Also, SOPUS doesn't mention the percentage number for piston cleaning with RGT. With Platinum and Ultra, it ranges from 50% to 65% cleaner than industry standards. That's a sure sign this oil falls under 50% and I reason I wear my SOPUS Platinum-lineup hat instead.

One last thing after looking at the front label. Where's the print-mention of GTL basestock? Doesn't have it with RGT oil?
Then I'm not convinced this oil is stupidly good for GDI/TDGIs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Calcium is much higher than I prefer. The chart printed the wrong cst@100 numbers, which seems intended for 5w30, not 5w20.

Also, SOPUS doesn't mention the percentage number for piston cleaning with RGT. With Platinum and Ultra, it ranges from 50% to 65% cleaner than industry standards. That's a sure sign this oil falls under 50% and I reason I wear my SOPUS Platinum-lineup hat instead.

One last thing after looking at the front label. Where's the print-mention of GTL basestock? Doesn't have it with RGT oil?

I would be surprise if Rotella Gas truck is just QSUD in a different bottle. All numbers are within standard error of each other and some virtually identical. QSUD and RTG gas truck data sheet numbers are different but that could also just be batch variability when tested .

http://pqiadata.org/QuakerState_5W20.html
https://pqia.org/shell-rotella-gas-truck-full-synthetic-sae-5w-20-motor-oil/

Rural King unfortunately does not carry a large selection... you get the HK brands, PYB, VWB, VML blend, Mobil Super, and Havoline conventional. Every now and then they will have some good deals on HDEOs, but the real reason I shop RK is for the $7.99 Fram Ultras
smile.gif

Tractor Supply Company (TSC) has Rotella Gas Truck for $18 right now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tmus2122
smile.gif

Tractor Supply Company (TSC) has Rotella Gas Truck for $18 right now.

My local TSC store bumped the price back up to $21.99 this morning, you may want to double check the current price at your local store as well.

Originally Posted by volk06
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I would be surprise if Rotella Gas truck is just QSUD in a different bottle. All numbers are within standard error of each other and some virtually identical. QSUD and RTG gas truck data sheet numbers are different but that could also just be batch variability when tested .

http://pqiadata.org/QuakerState_5W20.html
https://pqia.org/shell-rotella-gas-truck-full-synthetic-sae-5w-20-motor-oil/

I think you may be on to something. They look very similar.

Back