Havoline Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all the initial excitement and posting about the Havoline-in-a-box and despite the good reputation of both the dino and syn versions, I have yet to see a VOA or UOA of this oil.

Do you think that is because there hasn't been enough time since it came out for a normal interval to have passed, or are people simply using it per OLM or some shorter interval and skipping the analysis?

(And if I am simply missing the UOAs, a link would be great.)

I think there were some UOAs with the Havoline on some 3.5 EcoBoosts... it's Dexos approved in 5W30, either one will obviously be fine for a reasonable OCI... neither of your vehicles should be "hard" on oil, it will depend on your OCI and if you're short-tripping, etc.

UOA should really only be used to ensure viscosity and TBN are still in serviceable condition and no coolant leaks or excessive fuel dilution- UOA is not the correct analysis tool to assess machinery wear. You'd need a different, much more expensive test like filter debris analysis, ferrography, etc. to assess actual wear rates and the source.

It's hard to find anything recent but if you can read Russian here's a really recent UOA on Havoline ProDS 5/30. (you can have Google translate the page). The ProDS is a full syn, so if you're looking for the syn blend Havoline, you probably could look at Chevron Supreme's data on the 5/30 and 10/30 as the two are quite similar??..Otherwise, it doesn't look like people (for some reason) have done recent(ly) UOA's.🤔

Maybe I should do one..I have a box of Havoline HiMi 5/30 on deck for the next oc.

ProDS 5w30 UOA (in Russian)

I'm sure the 5W30 synthetic D1 Gen 2 would be ok for a shortish OCI , I prefer a NOACK of less than 10% if possible (somewhere in the single digits) ... Of course , I would have to pay for it .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
I'm sure the 5W30 synthetic D1 Gen 2 would be ok for a shortish OCI , I prefer a NOACK of less than 10% if possible (somewhere in the single digits) ... Of course , I would have to pay for it .

The 10w30 is a 10 and the 5/20 and 5/30 are about 11 and 12 respectively.

Chevron doesn't make a bad oil that I'm aware of. Been using them in one flavour or another for 30yrs and never had a lubricant/sludge issue. Of course I'm pretty diligent about changing the oil on time, so I suppose I could say that about any oil from one of the majors. But as for their ProDS line, I'd have no worries doing 6~7k oci on them with my current ride.

I am running it in my Van (5w20) and mowers (5w30)
It doesn't seem bad but not great and this is subject to my opinion only. The oil level in van dropped 1/2 quart in 1500 miles and my John Deere also dropped oil level in 20 hours. I am trying to wait and see if trends continue. Van had 9300 miles and mower had 80 hours so neither is worn and neither loses any oil normally. I do work both in severe duty and temps have been over 95 with occasionally hitting 100. If the trends continue I will discontinue with ProDS.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I am running it in my Van (5w20) and mowers (5w30)
It doesn't seem bad but not great and this is subject to my opinion only. The oil level in van dropped 1/2 quart in 1500 miles and my John Deere also dropped oil level in 20 hours. I am trying to wait and see if trends continue. Van had 9300 miles and mower had 80 hours so neither is worn and neither loses any oil normally. I do work both in severe duty and temps have been over 95 with occasionally hitting 100. If the trends continue I will discontinue with ProDS.

Interesting that both engines usually don't use any oil....but we have occasionally seen this when changing brands...so it will be interesting to see if the DS burns off in the 2nd run.

With so few oil changes I haven't yet put the same oil in more than one fill on three engines. Factory fill, Napa Synthetic Blend then ProDs. Other was Briggs and Stratton HD then ProDs and finally Briggs factory, Pennzoil Gold then ProDs. Thinking of going to a conventional since it is a blend so no downside except cost compared to ProDS but I have time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tiger862
With so few oil changes I haven't yet put the same oil in more than one fill on three engines. Factory fill, Napa Synthetic Blend then ProDs. Other was Briggs and Stratton HD then ProDs and finally Briggs factory, Pennzoil Gold then ProDs. Thinking of going to a conventional since it is a blend so no downside except cost compared to ProDS but I have time.

Check....

I have been using ProDS since I got a bunch of 5 quart jugs on clearance at O'Reilly for $10 a few years ago. I've got 1 more oil change left before I exhaust my supply. It has been a great oil as far as I can tell. I've been doing 7500 mile OCIs on my Tacoma and anywhere from 5000 to 7500 miles on my son's Ford Escape.

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
I have been using ProDS since I got a bunch of 5 quart jugs on clearance at O'Reilly for $10 a few years ago. I've got 1 more oil change left before I exhaust my supply. It has been a great oil as far as I can tell. I've been doing 7500 mile OCIs on my Tacoma and anywhere from 5000 to 7500 miles on my son's Ford Escape.

Thanks; any UOA by chance to see how it held up chemically?

I decided against using Havoline in a box 5w20. I bought one, then decided it seemed too thin so I took it back and get a refund.
I guess I could have exchanged it for 5w30, or even the full synthetic flavor.

Then I bought two 5 quart jugs of NAPA syn blend (made by Valvoline) 5w20 on sale for $11.50 each so I guess I'll run that instead.
I like the idea of the bag breaking down in less time at landfills, I just didn't want that to determine which oil I run.
Hopefully the recycling crisis will get resolved soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back