About the original manual recommended viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the recommended viscosity of the original manual, the original manual recommends 0W20, 5W30
Current mileage of 49,689 miles, is it sustainable, 0W20?
Currently using Ravenol sfe 5w20 conforms to a5/b5, considering m1 ep0w20 or 5w20 due to difficulties. Is there a recommendation?

INB4 the thickies
27.gif

Yes, 0W20 or 5w20 will be perfectly fine for your engine. I liked M1 EP 5w20, I'd have no problem running that or 0w20 in any of my vehicles.

Sorry, what car and engine are we talking about ?

Local temperature and style of operation would help too.

Don't fix what ain't broken.. stick with the 5/20.

(unless you're in extreme cold, the two oils are going perform similarly)

Originally Posted by SR5
Sorry, what car and engine are we talking about ?

Local temperature and style of operation would help too.

Suzuki sx4 crossover 1.6, m16 engine, temperature 91.4 Fahrenheit in summer, 64 Fahrenheit in winter, average speed about 2000

Originally Posted by SR5
Solid Japanese engine in a mild climate. Nothing wrong with a good quality A5/B5 5W20.

Ravenol sfe 5w20 is really good, but it is a pity that the supply is not very stable, so I have to find another reference is m1 ep 0w20,5w20, thank you

OK, either M1 product is fine. The M1 EP line is very good.

The 5W20 is a little thicker than the 0W20
KV100 of 8.9 cSt Vs 8.6 cSt
HTHS of 2.75 cP Vs 2.7 cP
Respectively (5W20 Vs 0W20)

But the 0W20 has a much better pour point and flash point
PP = -42 vs -54
FP = 230 vs 235 degC
This suggests more Group IV PAO in the 0W20.

Both are rated Dexos1-Gen2 for quality.

Happy with either, buy on price.

Mobil 1 oils that you mention are both great oils.
Use them if they are easy to get and reasonably priced

Originally Posted by SR5
OK, either M1 product is fine. The M1 EP line is very good.

The 5W20 is a little thicker than the 0W20
KV100 of 8.9 cSt Vs 8.6 cSt
HTHS of 2.75 cP Vs 2.7 cP
Respectively (5W20 Vs 0W20)

But the 0W20 has a much better pour point and flash point
PP = -42 vs -54
FP = 230 vs 235 degC
This suggests more Group IV PAO in the 0W20.

Both are rated Dexos1-Gen2 for quality.

Happy with either, buy on price.

I have seen that the PAO content of 0w20 is higher than 5w20. I want to say whether 0w20 is better. There is no difference between the two prices, so the price is acceptable. Our local car manufacturer recommends 3106 miles replacement

With Mobil 1 Extended Performance it is designed for a long change interval. I would go double, say 6000 miles at least. Changing too early is a waste.

"Better" is not well defined with oil. One is thicker, the other has more PAO, both are good things to have.

If you're running 3k oci's why don't you run a dino/syn blend?.. it's not like high BN and retention are a huge concern at 3k intervals, no??? (m1 ep 0/20??)

"ACEA A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa*s.."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SR5
"Better" is not well defined with oil. One is thicker, the other has more PAO, both are good things to have.

I understand that I will use both, to see which one I like to use in the car.

Originally Posted by PimTac
What brands of oil are available in Taiwan?

That Suzuki is a great little car.

Most brands in Taiwan have, Shell, Mobil, QUAKER STATE, MOTUL, Castrol, Royal Purple, Red line. May I ask you to use w20, will you change w30 after a few miles or continue to use w20?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
If you're running 3k oci's why don't you run a dino/syn blend?.. it's not like high BN and retention are a huge concern at 3k intervals, no??? (m1 ep 0/20??)

"ACEA A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa*s.."

I don't have a 3,000-mile replacement. Most of my replacement is about 5500 miles-6,000 miles. The 3,000-mile replacement is required by our car factory. The oil of w20 rarely passes a5/b5. Currently I only found ravenol sfe 5w20. It has a5/b5 compliance.

Originally Posted by dolala
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I don't have a 3,000-mile replacement. Most of my replacement is about 5500 miles-6,000 miles. The 3,000-mile replacement is required by our car factory. The oil of w20 rarely passes a5/b5. Currently I only found ravenol sfe 5w20. It has a5/b5 compliance.

Oh, my bad. I misinterpreted that your oci was indeed 3k miles. In that case you def want an oil suitable for extended intervals (would an A3/B3 work, giving you an even larger group of options?)...most any full syn will do 6k oci no problem. (heck, there are syn blends (grp2/+/3), that can do 5k no sweat)

Originally Posted by dolala
Originally Posted by PimTac
What brands of oil are available in Taiwan?

That Suzuki is a great little car.

Most brands in Taiwan have, Shell, Mobil, QUAKER STATE, MOTUL, Castrol, Royal Purple, Red line. May I ask you to use w20, will you change w30 after a few miles or continue to use w20?

You have a good selection of brands. Shell, Mobil and Castrol stand out. Do you have issues with counterfeit products there?

In my Mazda CX-5 with the 2.5 SkyActiv engine I am running 0w20 and I plan to stay the course. I don't see anything wrong with running a good quality 20 grade oil. The engine runs smooth and quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back