Recommended Oil Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Hamltnblue

Tolerances are not clearances, but lower tolerances means less clearance variation?

I didn't think I would need to spell this out

Let's say you're shooting for .002" bearing clearance. Maybe 40 years ago that meant you were typically between .0028 and .0012. Now, it means you're between .0021 and .0019.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
... Tolerances are not clearances. Lower tolerances means the amount of clearance variation is far lower.
True. If tolerances are in fact tighter, that would mean maximum clearances don't have to be as large to avoid minimum clearances being too tight. Which would mean you don't need oil to be as thick to support loads in the large clearances.

thumbsup2.gif

Funny stuff. But hey, it's Friday.

There's other funny stuff going on, once you're here a little longer and not so much of a "newbie" we'll point that out.

Placebo effect is real for some. Glad I'm not one of them.

Now that is a funny comment. Tells us a lot about you.

Originally Posted by kschachn

There's other funny stuff going on, once you're here a little longer and not so much of a "newbie" we'll point that out.

Seems like the weekend fishing starts earlier and earlier these days.

🛥🎣

Originally Posted by PimTac

Seems like the weekend fishing starts earlier and earlier these days.

🛥🎣

It's all good. X-Navy and have been around. Newbie here but not to the world
grin2.gif

Anyhow, the thread has gone where they usually do. (I noted in the original post about 'experts' talking about tolerances etc.)

The original question is, why have we been fed this requirement with the threat of voiding warranty?
The cafe' rules make sense but it seems that the thicker oil will not hurt anything.

This topic has been hashed over and over on multiple threads here. A quick search should reveal many.

You can run whatever oil you want. We don't have the oil police checking viscosity. We also don't have millions of vehicles running "thin" oils blowing engines or wearing out early like some will say.

Whatever makes you happy.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Garak
A 1990 Ford Tempo 4 cylinder is sluggish no matter what you do, tig1.
wink.gif

lol.gif

Great call Garak...

Though I agree with tig1 that a thick 15w40 would have a noticeable effect on the motor running sluggish.

It was a 150K car when sold. Never had any real problems with it, but the 15-50 did make a negative difference.

The engine will do just fine on 0w16.

Yes it will. It will also do just fine on a 5W30 too, especially a quality Dexos1-Gen2 synthetic.

Here something like GTX UltraClean 10W30 would be half the price of Magnatec 0W20, so I know what most here would run. No problem with either.

I started running recommended grade in early nineties when I listened to a much more experienced mechanic and put 20w50 in my 83 Caviler. I don't remember what grade was recommended but if memory serves me correctly it was 10w30 and he told me if I wanted engine to last take that water out and put real oil so at next change I did. Within a week the mechanical vacuum pump started squeaking so I removed it and you could see burnt marks so I drained oil and metal was in it so I did a flush. 200.00 later for pump with me installing it and correct grade I put quite a few miles on it then sold it cause of transmission. Always ran manufacturers recommended grade since. Just cause someone else can I will not push my luck.

This topic has been hashed over and over on multiple threads here. A quick search should reveal many.

You can run whatever oil you want. We don't have the oil police checking viscosity. We also don't have millions of vehicles running "thin" oils blowing engines or wearing out early like some will say.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Hamltnblue said:
Placebo effect is real

Tolerances are not clearances. Lower tolerances means the amount of clearance variation is far lower.

Great point there. Hence there's no need to blanket cover massive variations in clearances with higher viscosity oil. It does irritate me when self proclaimed experts say you need lower viscosity because of the tighter tolerances of bearings etc... Like as if 0W20 is not magnitudes thicker than 15W40 at startup if the 20 grade is in freezing temps and the 40 grade is in an Australian summer.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Easy answer- CAFE.

Exactly. 0W16 is what they ran in the US to get CAFE credits, so they are obligated to "recommend" it be used. As you can see from the Australian Owner's Manual contrary to what some believe the engine isn't going to implode bumping up a grade or even two. Do your homework and decide for yourself what makes you most comfortable running and use that. If the warranty concerns you, run the oil they spec in the US.

Hi Pimtac
I would hope it has been hashed over here as it's an oil forum. it's why I came here. To find answers from those in the know.
I personally had never seen documentation showing the same car in another country with different requirements, especially this drastic..
Jim

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by MCompact
Easy answer- CAFE.

Exactly. 0W16 is what they ran in the US to get CAFE credits, so they are obligated to "recommend" it be used. As you can see from the Australian Owner's Manual contrary to what some believe the engine isn't going to implode bumping up a grade or even two. Do your homework and decide for yourself what makes you most comfortable running and use that. If the warranty concerns you, run the oil they spec in the US.

The really good news is the engine won't implode using a quality synthetic 20wt, and will actually benefit from it. This has been my long experience using 20wt oils.

Switched to 0W20 on Friday. On Saturday I was on a highway trip for 110 miles. This included about 15 minutes of stop and go through a construction area.
Mileage getting off of the highway was 43.1 which is above previous best of ~41.5. So switching to a 25% thicker oil didn't decrease the mileage.
[Linked Image]

Switched to 0W20 on Friday. On Saturday I was on a highway trip for 110 miles. This included about 15 minutes of stop and go through a construction area.
Mileage getting off of the highway was 43.1 which is above previous best of ~41.5. So switching to a 25% thicker oil didn't decrease the mileage.

Yes it did, but you are not capable of detecting the difference outside of a laboratory (much less attributing it to the oil). Physics is physics, and the automakers aren't specifying thinner oils just so they can revise their owner's manuals. And it is 25% thicker?

Not saying it's good or bad - but there is a difference however small for one vehicle.

Yes it did, but you are not capable of detecting the difference outside of a laboratory (much less attributing it to the oil). Physics is physics, and the automakers aren't specifying thinner oils just so they can revise their owner's manuals. And it is 25% thicker?

Not saying it's good or bad - but there is a difference however small for one vehicle.

Hi Kschachn
Yes, it would be 25% thicker.
Going from 16 to 20 is 4 points higher.
Divide 4 by the original 16 and you get .25 or 1/4.

Last edited:

Glad to hear it's working for you mate.

... Yes, it would be 25% thicker.
Going from 16 to 20 is 4 points higher.
Divide 4 by the original 16 and you get .25 or 1/4.
Do you really seriously believe viscosity is directly proportional to the "points" of the grade designation? In that case 0W-x would have no viscosity at all when cold, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back