Fuel Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Not the case. Already drove it before test."

Sorry I missed that.

Driver bias, then.
smile.gif

It's almost impossible not to drive more economically, if you are wanting higher mileage. Slightly easier take-offs, coasting more makes a big difference from my experience commuting 1 hour for 15 years.

2002 Tahoe 5.3L with 253k miles - Best of 21.87 mpg (all highway)
2006 Altima 2.5L with 232k miles - Best of 37.31 mpg (all highway)

I always liked the idea of better fuel economy, but it wasn't something I really strived for until I got on a fixed income. Now I try to stretch every tank of gas as long as possible.

I keep it under 2500 rpm, easy take-offs, coast in neutral if I don't need to stop, and coast in gear when a stop is coming. I use the gas and brake pedals as little as possible. On the highway, I keep it <65 mph. If I'm stuck at a red light, I'll bump it to neutral.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eddie
After many dozens of checks, the on-board vehicle calculations were so close to my hand calculations that I only use the vehicle information now. Surprisingly the vehicle were often lower than my hand calculations. Mazda CX5. Ed

That's great that you have an accurate dash mpg gauge. My two Scion's mpg indicators are way off, very consistently. The xD is 8-9 % optimistic and the xB2 is 12 % optimistic. That's with E10 Tier one fuel. Zero ethanol fuel for extended fill ups gets them close to reality. Can't forget that all EPA emissions and fuel economy testing is done with E0 fuel. I would guess that auto makers use the same for testing and calibrating.

After today I can say for sure EPA rating is close. I did a 12 mile city run with 17.55 mpg and a 12 mile highway run with 24 at 80 mph. EPA rating is 17 city and 25 hwy so it was a confirmation of all my idling and short runs around property causing the 13 mpg last tank. To bad it will continue â˜¹ï¸ as I just picked up a load of plywood and porch posts today hence the run today to get readings. Love the loading space of van.

Originally Posted by tiger862
After today I can say for sure EPA rating is close. I did a 12 mile city run with 17.55 mpg and a 12 mile highway run with 24 at 80 mph. EPA rating is ...
The EPA ratings are usually accurate under the conditions prescribed for their tests. Actually, the published numbers are their test results multiplied by a fudge factor to reduce the number, then rounded to the nearest 1. If their published numbers match up with what you get under the conditions of your driving on a particular day, that's merely a coincidence.

Originally Posted by CR94
After today I can say for sure EPA rating is close. I did a 12 mile city run with 17.55 mpg and a 12 mile highway run with 24 at 80 mph. EPA rating is ...
The EPA ratings are usually accurate under the conditions prescribed for their tests. Actually, the published numbers are their test results multiplied by a fudge factor to reduce the number, then rounded to the nearest 1. If their published numbers match up with what you get under the conditions of your driving on a particular day, that's merely a coincidence.

All I know is that I ran same test dealers run to check fuel mileage when you bring it in complaining of poor fuel mileage. I am also running E10 not E85.

Originally Posted by CR94

I've found it to vary. A lot. My 2015 cx5 was rated at 30mpg hwy. I got 26 or so out of it. On the same route (1400mi), I later tested my 2019 cx5 turbo, rated at 27 hwy. I averaged around 28.

My 2003 Buick Park Avenue's gallons used readout was always 10% low. I learned to look at the number, multiply by 1.10, then times 3 (the price of a gallon of regular then), and give the clerk the cash, rounded up to the nearest $5.

The 2011 Regal's computer was all over the place, sometimes high and sometimes low.

The 2015 BMW that I drove for four months was a champ in the fuel mileage department, 25-27 mpg consistently, and the computer was almost exactly on the money.

The 2016 Buick LaCrosse, it's too early to tell, but I gassed up on Saturday with the computer reading 22.3 and calculated 22.6 mpg.

Let me start off by saying I keep track of mileage thru an app so it is calculated correctly. Over last 7k I was averaging 21.8 mpg and that is a mix but last tank was terrible at 13.4 mpg all low mph with plenty of stops and idling. My lie o meter was at 15.3 but hasn't been reset in I don't know how many miles cause I never looked at it. So I hooked up the Bluetooth app to run a fuel consumption test confirming my thoughts. I had to go to the store which is 11 miles away. I wound up with 16 mph average, 14 mpg on the way there and dash stated 15.3. On the way back I decided to use econ button to see if it makes any difference. The results surprised me as on the way back (same speed, route etc) mileage climbed to 19.8 mpg. Hard to believe that in town with Econ button on I gained almost 5 mpg. The dash even climbed to 16 mpg so it definitely helped and still haven't reset it as I don't trust it. I appreciate any thoughts or experiences that you have.

21.8 MPG, average with mixed driving
13.4 MPG, all low mph with plenty of stops and idling
Fuel economy increases with use of "econ" setting
Seems to make sense, what am I missing?

My one vehicle with a fuel economy calculator is optimistic by about 1 MPG:
The computer shows average 22.5 MPG but when calculating actual miles driven/actual gallons added, the real world is 21.5 MPG (average over several years on Fuelly.com)

Last edited:
Just got done with the last tank in my CX5 turbo for daily commute. Computer said 30.0, hand-calculated at the pump to 30.4mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back