Taking the leap to self-employment.....Eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.
The closed cell foam will turn a yellowish green color after a while. If I limit it's expose to UV...It will keep it's white tint longer. Dust & dirt will collect on the flat surfaces....Nothing a shop vac once a year won't take care of.

Closed cell foam is very dense & has a smooth outside shell to it. The pictures don't really capture that.

Originally Posted by wag123
What are you doing for HVAC? How about office space?

I've never worked in a climate controlled shop, I will have a NG heater for the cold spells & fans for when it's hot.

I don't do "light" work & never have, Waiting customers are nothing but problems.....By appointment/drop-off only. I have several accounts already that will keep me at 90%, The other 10% will easily be filled with referrals & custom transmission builds.

Tire rotations & oil changes with a free multi point inspection is not the clientele I'm catering to. Advanced diagnostics, Major Engine, Transmission,Transfer Case, Differential repair, & AC repair are my specialties. I'm not going to compete with general repair garages that take 2 months to swap an engine or 2 weeks to find a short in the electrical system because they do 100 oil changes & 50 brake jobs a week.

But to answer your question.....I do have a desk in the shop & a office at home. And will build office space later if needed.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by wag123
What are you doing for HVAC? How about office space?

I've never worked in a climate controlled shop, I will have a NG heater for the cold spells & fans for when it's hot.

I don't do "light" work & never have, Waiting customers are nothing but problems.....By appointment/drop-off only. I have several accounts already that will keep me at 90%, The other 10% will easily be filled with referrals & custom transmission builds.

Tire rotations & oil changes with a free multi point inspection is not the clientele I'm catering to. Advanced diagnostics, Major Engine, Transmission,Transfer Case, Differential repair, & AC repair are my specialties. I'm not going to compete with general repair garages that take 2 months to swap an engine or 2 weeks to find a short in the electrical system because they do 100 oil changes & 50 brake jobs a week.

But to answer your question.....I do have a desk in the shop & a office at home. And will build office space later if needed.

10-4.
I don't see a door to the outside (other than the overhead doors).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Opened for business this morning at 8am!!!! While I'm not yet opened to the public yet, It was a great feeling!!

I'd planned to put this off for at least another 6 months, But I asked for a "Flat Rate" pay bump & renegotiate referral bonuses on Friday & got turned down for the 3rd time this year, As usual every excuse in the book was given....Some being bald face lies, Like business is slow!!??......Every tech has been working 12-14 hours a day & are 2 months behind.
I Resigned on the spot, Only then does he want to talk numbers & praise me on my punctuality, & workmanship?? By this point I'm done with his lies & two faces!!

I'm sure I'll have to deal with this in the future when I hire employees (Granted my business grows), If I don't want to give one a raise......I'll just say NO & let the chips fall. No lies & excuses, Or reasons why for that matter. I didn't feel he owed me an explanation.

Got 17 vehicles on the docket already, Today was a starter on a '02 Taurus, ABS module on a 2010 Mazda 3, And a AFM delete tune, Oil pump flow control solenoid on a '14 Silverado. Just need to fill the crankcase with oil in the mourning & test drive.

Tomorrow....Got a 2012 Mazda CX-9 3.7L that needs an engine (crankcase full of coolant), But will put a Compressor clutch on a '04 Silverado 2500 & sell the mode door actuator it needs first.

Planned to mount my big vises & bring my KRL7022/1201 tool boxes before opening......For now I'll work out of my service cart 'til I have time!

Huge congratulations is in order! I'm glad you're finally out of that other shop, great work! Can't wait to see the interesting jobs rolling through.

Cheers!

Congratulations. The shop looks excellent. You are going to do very well for yourself. Your previous boss did you a big favour.

Do you have software already for invoicing and keeping track of income?

Weee doggies! Congratulations man!!!!
Looking good and all the best. 6 months from now yer gonna be saying why the [censored] didn't I do this 20 years ago. My youngest son just pretty much did the same thing you did except a slightly different aspect of the automotive industry. Good Luck!

Well Chris … I reckon you're working on an update on the new business ? ðŸ§
If you've been too busy … that's all good !

Got the awning erected, Yes.....It's used & I will paint it. Got a little under a grand in it, The dimensions are 28'x42'. Closest I could get to a 30'x40'
Used a friends Skid Steer with forks to lift the 2 Bar Joists, 3 Beams, & 8 Purlins. The R-panel is tucked under the overhang of the shop building roof panels while the bottom of the Bar Joist is 10' off the slab so it lines up with 10' door openings. The bracing was my idea, Not part of the original design.

Got the driveway graded & rocked, I wanted to go concrete but bids were on the high side & can't afford to shut my shop down while a "Lying" Contractor takes 3 times as long as promised.

Excellent … heck of a span so bracing understood … Awning is a game changer …
Rock works fine when it's blocky like that …
Good stuff …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Well Chris … I reckon you're working on an update on the new business ? ðŸ§
If you've been too busy … that's all good !

Send me that crystal ball, Because you didn't post this 'til after I started on the post above!

Man.....This steel erecting business sucks, Though I have lost 30 pounds in the last 8 months & am back down close to what I weighed during my high school senior year football season!

Well, seems end of construction is here/near and nobody got hurt. Kudos for that.
Time to stay under that steel !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back