Had a classic come through yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
My first car was a '67 Impala. 283 with 2-speed PowerGlide transmission. Not quite as nice as this one!

Hey Dad had a '67 BelAir, same powertrain.... 2 bbl carb. Not sure about the rear gear. She'd shift out of 1st into 2nd at 67 mph! Tall, tall gears!

Originally Posted by Chris142
Fwiw. The most common axle gearing was 2.56! The heads were the worst flowing of any Chevrolet small block. 7.7-7-1 compression ratio and that 2 bbl carb, pellets in the catalytic converter, overactive egr valve made it very underpowered. Make sure to pull the distributor cap and free up the advance weights. Also make sure that the vacuum advance diaphragm isn't leaking as that will contribute to the fouled plug.

My 76 buick regal had a 2.56 rear. At WOT it shifted from 1 to 2 a about 48mph, shifted into third at 90, did not have enough power to pull that gear at more that 110, even though it was only turning about 3300 rpm at 110mph.

My 1965 2.5 ton Buick did 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds with tall gears. 50 mph in first.

It would spin the tire for 100 yards.

401 Nail head with Super Turbine 400

Switch pitch converter in a 3 speed.

----------------------------

I recall the soft 350s with a 2CV had killer torque right off the bottom. But that was in the late 60's.

Last edited:
About 4800lbs, 2.56 gears, about 150hp. 0-60 was probably 17 seconds, 60-0 was probably most of 200', 12MPG was about it. Soft, flaccid suspension, poor interior quality, wet-noodle structure (I would bet neither door would open with one front tire on a curb), poor front end geometry, some of the worst space utilization EVER inside the car. Everything wrong with American cars of the era in one vehicle.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
About 4800lbs, 2.56 gears, about 150hp. 0-60 was probably 17 seconds, 60-0 was probably most of 200', 12MPG was about it. Soft, flaccid suspension, poor interior quality, wet-noodle structure (I would bet neither door would open with one front tire on a curb), poor front end geometry, some of the worst space utilization EVER inside the car. Everything wrong with American cars of the era in one vehicle.

I agree with the above. Cars like this are what allowed Toyota and Honda to gain dominance in the market.

Anything domestic in the mid 70s to the mid 80s was basically garbage.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

I agree with the above. Cars like this are what allowed Toyota and Honda to gain dominance in the market.

Anything domestic in the mid 70s to the mid 80s was basically garbage.

The Toyotas and Hondas of the era were garbage, they just sold less. The 1977 models were a huge improvement, too bad GM didn't carry that over to the X-cars.

[Linked Image from chumley.barstoolsports.com]

Originally Posted by Burt
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
2 door and convertible? Cool...

Is there any other kind?

Lincoln Continental 61-69

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Originally Posted by Burt
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
2 door and convertible? Cool...

Is there any other kind?

Lincoln Continental 61-69

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
Fwiw. The most common axle gearing was 2.56! The heads were the worst flowing of any Chevrolet small block. 7.7-7-1 compression ratio and that 2 bbl carb, pellets in the catalytic converter, overactive egr valve made it very underpowered. Make sure to pull the distributor cap and free up the advance weights. Also make sure that the vacuum advance diaphragm isn't leaking as that will contribute to the fouled plug.

No Kidding! Can you say "EMISSIONS"?

I've always considered these last B-body convertibles to have a very elegant look.
These late pre-downsized B-body cars were also pretty nice to drive. Handling wasn't bad and the ride was very low-rate and smooth although you could certainly feel the body on frame construction.
This is a nice survivor that looks like it could use a trip to the paint shop and will soon need a top both adding up to $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back