Taking the leap to self-employment.....Eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MolaKule
With your expertise and detailed knowledge of transmissions, you will have more customers than you may be able to accommodate.

Find a good attorney you can work with, and set your own rules and schedules.

Best wishes for a successful business.
thumbsup2.gif

Yep. Definitely a good attorney. Running a business there s always a few customers that try and play games to get out of paying for your services.

I have an LLC and it helped a lot.

Really like the sprayed on foam insulation, should help a bunch with radiant heating from the sun and keep you warmer in the cool months. Looks like a nice sized pad out front getting ready to go in too.

Looking good!

The insulation was a good investment.....Can definitely feel the difference! I almost decided against it, Glad I ponyed-up!

My original plan was to do a 30x40 pad out front.....It's now 30x47 with a 7x15 on the side for the Compressors & miscellaneous equipment.

Electrical got finalized yesterday!....Well, I'll need some more MC ran for the other lift & some conduit ran to the Compressor.

Restoring a 1981 80 gallon 5hp Kellogg-American 2 stage now. It will serve main duty 'til I restore a 1974 60 gallon 5hp Champion 2 stage. Then I will run both in Tandem (Alternating)

Have a 5hp Baldor single phase motor, Square D Magnetic Starter, Square D Pressure Switch, & 3 Bando Power King Belts ordered for the Kellogg-American.
Need to do similar for the Champion as it has a 3 Phase motor, Burnt pressure switch, & Worn belts.

I really wanted 3 Phase power.....But it's cost prohibitive, It would take 20 years to pay for itself & can buy a couple phase generators if needed for add-on equipment like a Lathe & Mill.

[Linked Image]

Thanks Trav!!!

Waiting on the Concrete Contractor to pour......Then I can get to work on the Awning.

Gave me some time to work on the compressor though, The Motor got delivered & I got the Pulley installed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is it even possible to still buy matched belts for a multi v application? I appreciate that you installed all of them in the same orientation, I would've done the same.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Is it even possible to still buy matched belts for a multi v application? I appreciate that you installed all of them in the same orientation, I would've done the same.

For Industrial Belts....Absolutely!
The last time I checked, You can still get matched pairs for old Chryslers (With A/C) from Dayco & Gates.

Got the front slab poured......5 inches thick, 25 yards of concrete!!

I was watering in down for the last 2 hours to keep the temperature more stable as it cured......Control joints will be cut in the AM.

Tied off 3/4 of the rebar myself cause the contractor/help got lazy, Had the same issue with the slab the building sits on.....But they tied off 3/4 & I did the last 1/4.
It wouldn't bother me as much if they used stand-off's.....But they lift it by hand as the concrete is pouring & separate the un-tied rebar in the process.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Test ran the compressor......What a sweet old girl!!!!! Pumped to 150 psi in @ 6 minutes. Very quiet compared to the 60 gallon Husky I have to listen to at work.
Very happy with it, I realize a compressor is not something normal people really care about......But $750 invested in a $3,000 compressor is enough to make me smile!

Extended the oil drain to make oil changes much cleaner.

Got my new Air System plumbing parts in, While I was going to sweat in some Copper lines....I don't feel comfortable doing that around the foam insulation.
So I'm going to try Rapidair's Maxline system in 3/4", Besides I had a ton of Summit Racing Bucks that where going to expire!

The Maxline system came with some really nice Aluminum drops with ball valve drains!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Progress has been very slow.....It's air conditioner season in Texas, Been working 12-14 hours a day to keep up with demand. Though it's easy work comparatively speaking.

Had a dentist appointment that pried me away from the day job & I got some work done......
Replaced the wooden skids on the compressor with some 4x4 green plate.
Had a "Jumper Hose/Whip" made at my local hydraulic hose company (Midwest Hose), 8 foot 1500psi WP with fittings & adapters for $53! Online shopping yielded 5 foot 200psi WP whips for $30-$60. This is 3/4" supply....So nothing is cheap!
Got started running the air lines.

Traded some rebuildable 241 casting LSx heads for a workbench....12' long, Solid 1.5"x1.5" bar stock welded frame, Aluminum work surfaces with countersunk machine screws attaching it. Someone spent some time & money building it, Took 6 people just to move into place off my trailer!

I'll show off my OMC workbenches later......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I love old tools. I have an old Bonney 1/2" drive torque wrench.

I have several Bonney wrenches, Along with a bunch of old Par-X, Indestro, Martin, Proto, Craftsman -V-, Challenger, & Wright tools that I inherited from my grandfather. Still have his 1959 Snap-on tool boxes as well....The bottom box is pretty well junk....But the top chest is in really good shape.

Sold my Top Load transmission case washer & was able to step up to a much larger Front Load machine for a couple hundred more. Had to drive to Austin (400 miles round trip)
The Oil Skimmer is missing some parts, Not that the Skimmer worked on my old machine.

Lost my Wilton Machinist Vise to my last employ.....Bought a new USA made Wilton 1765 Tradesman for $500. While it's not a $1000 dollar machinist vise, It's probably more suited to the work I do. Greater throat depth & Opening width....Along with reversible jaw inserts & a swivel base.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I love old tools. I have an old Bonney 1/2" drive torque wrench.

I have several Bonney wrenches, Along with a bunch of old Par-X, Indestro, Martin, Proto, Craftsman -V-, Challenger, & Wright tools that I inherited from my grandfather. Still have his 1959 Snap-on tool boxes as well....The bottom box is pretty well junk....But the top chest is in really good shape.

I recall several of those brands back when I worked at a NG compression overhaul shop as a young man …

Ever think of making a display case out of old tools you don't use ?

Good idea.....Never really thought of that. He was a fanatic about Oil Dropper Cans so I have about 10 of those of various sizes. But I need to concentrate on getting this shop up & running for now.

Got the back bay plumped for air, 3 drops & one quick connect at the compressor tank, I don't think I'll plumb the front bay as I'm going to use that bay for diagnostics mostly....The only Diag tool that takes air is a Smoke Machine & I can string a hose for that from the drop at the center column. Or mount a hose reel to the center column & plumb it into the rear on the Drop Block.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back