BMW k1600 oil no 5w40

Hi, is may seem a bit simple question; the recommended engine oil for this BMW k1600 B 2017 is BMW advantec ultimate 5w40 API SL MA2.
However, in my country, Thailand 40C hot and humid high traffic area, there are no 5w40 available except from overpriced BMW.
So i research and found that castrol power 1 is recommended they only offer 10w40 and 10w50 in my country. is it ok?
Actually, id prefer Mobil 1 racing 4t 10w40, Motul 7100 10w40

Thank you for recommendation.

I would have no problem running the Castrol power 1 10w50 in your climate. I ran RS 10w60 in Germany with no issues for 240K in one bike, the power 1 is the next generation of this oil with the same red color.

There is absolutely no problem running 10w-40, -50 or 15w-40, -50 in your country. In fact, It is usually the better choice in a country with such high ambient temperatures.

I am almost sure that BMW recommends 5w- only for fuel savings.

The M1 racing is a fine oil.

If you get stuck in traffic a lit, the XXW40 oils will have the engine trow off a little less heat, you may not notice but the lower friction will mean less heat.

Rod

Originally Posted by firstime911
they only offer 10w40 and 10w50 in my country. is it ok?

Actually, I'd prefer Mobil 1 racing 4t 10w40,.

All of these are 100% fine for your K1600.

there are better + cheaper oils that meet the spec + a slightly thicker oil is more protective in the heat.

BMW advantec ultimate 5w40 is formulated by Shell lubricants so any 40 grade Shell could possibly match 90% of BMW's oil since motorcycles make up such a small percentile of a global companies market share...

API SL is obsolete and is 18 years old it goes back to 2001 and was never motorcycle specific...

Quote API
"SL - Introduced 2001, all new engine tests reflective of modern engine
designs meeting current emissions standards"

Bottom line a 40 grade is recommend so a 50 grade would just flow less and create more unwanted oil drag resulting in higher operating temps... however both grades will meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

API grades oil on gravity flow... it ain't a measurement of thick or thin... more flow is more protection... more flow lowers temp... more flow frees up more HP...

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Your bike is liquid cooled so don't worry about the 40 c heat. The M1 4T 10W-40, Motul 7100 10w40, Castrol Power 1 10w-40 would be just fine. My brother lives in Arizona and uses M1 15W-50 in his k1600.

edit= I don't know what bike dealers are like in Thailand but if you were to use M1 15W-50 and have problems with the k1600 BMW could use that as an excuse for warranty issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop

API SL is obsolete and is 18 years old it goes back to 2001 and was never motorcycle specific...

Quote API
"SL - Introduced 2001, all new engine tests reflective of modern engine
designs meeting current emissions standards"

[Linked Image]

Correction: API service category SL is not obsolete...you may choose SL or the newer category SN...

Quote API
"If an automotive owner's manual calls for an API SJ or SL oil, an API SN oil will provide full protection."

I've read a number of times in this thread that heavier weight oil creates more drag thus more heat. The drag it creates is minuscule in terms of the heat creation. The gas mileage with my bike is no different whether I run 20w50 or 10w40. If drag was an issue it would be noticeable with respect to mpg.

Heavier oil flows slower (albeit at a higher pressure) and does not take away heat as well as a thinner oil flowing faster at a somewhat lower pressure. That is my understanding of it.

I have run 20w50 in my ZRX 1200 in the heat of summer and also run 10w40. It runs cooler with 10w40 in traffic and does not heat up quite as quickly climbing mountain passes with the lighter weight oil.

I was happy to go with 10w40 until i watch this clip on YT. He mentioned again and again use Viscosity grade as manufacture recommended.

So what do you guy think.. 10w40 is still ok??

I was happy to go with 10w40 until i watch this clip on YT. He mentioned again and again use Viscosity grade as manufacture recommended.
So what do you guy think.. 10w40 is still ok??

So what viscosity grade oil have you been using for the past year and a half since you first asked this question? If it's 10W-40, and your bike hasn't blown up, then there's your answer.

You can find a Youtube video supporting literally any position on any subject - that's what Youtube is for. The more you watch, the more you will suffer from analysis paralysis.

For your climate, the W rating is irrelevant.

With respect to your bike, BMW is suggesting an oil that would work in every climate around the world. I am curious if they list any alternate weight ranges in the owners manual? Anyone with a K1600 is welcome to weigh in on that for the sake of information.

For the video, he’s going to say use what manufacturers recommend regardless of what else he says simply to cover his liability. M1 is sponsoring his video however the information is good regardless of who’s sponsoring the video. At your outside air temperatures, most any oil is going to work fine as stated, cold starts aren’t an issue. All else equal 10w40 is a great weight range to stick with, as I suspect that is what you are using based on initial posts last year.

A 40 weight is a 40 weight, doesnt matter what kind of oil it is.
A 5w vs 10w will have more pumpablity at low temperatures which you do not have in your climate.
Everything else is BS, though I do try myself to stay with manufacturer recommended oils you do have to take into account climate.

BTW, liquid cooled or not engine doesnt matter. Oil temperature is independent of coolant temperature, coolant temperature is controlled by a radiator and fan, oil temperature is not and can heat up much higher then coolant so, stick with the manufacturers recommended weight by not going to a "lighter" viscosity.

Last edited:
40w is a 40w yes, however the difference in maintaining shift quality over an OCI is much better with a 10w40 or 15w40 vs 5w40 all else equal, no matter who makes the oil. With liquid cooling and an oil cooler, the K1600 should keep oil temps more consistent and not scorching like your Harley. The question remains to the OP, what other oil weights does BMW include as options for the K1600?

I was worry about the cold start in the morning that 10w will take longer time pumping to lubricate engine parts + the clearance between engine parts is very small.

Last edited:
Back