5.4 3V New motor- 5w30 or 0w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Thanks again Cline. I am trying to learn all I can about my 2007 F-150. The truck runs and sounds great -- for the moment. I am aware it is a ticking time bomb. I cannot justify spending $2500 on a $5000 work truck. My local mechanic suggested 10w-30 HM oil, like MaxLife. He tells me "If he was going to guess, I should easily get another 50K out of it". It currently has 190K. He sounded pretty confident, but I think he might be overly optimistic.

Final question: in your experience, is reaching 250K even a possiblity here? Or would you think failure is almost imminent? If so, I am putting it up for sale.

I'm sure cline will answer here but my two cents are that if you are not currently having any issues keep changing it regularly with that 30w I think you'll make it. My brother is up to either 175 or 180K with poor maintenance on his'07 and that truck still runs really well. There are quite a few examples of people with 250 or 300 on these.

The shop I worked in replaced a vct solenoid in one that we figured the engine was toast (running terrible and knocking). Maybe the solenoid could have been cleaned and they didn't realize it, but still it was only a couple hundred dollar repair once they diagnosed it and replaced the solenoid.

I wouldn't be surprised if the engine itself did go [censored] up not too long after (if the solenoid plugged up then probably oiling holes in the engine are plugging up too). But at least the repair bought the guy some time. He was actually an employee of our company (our parts store division) otherwise it may have gone to the Ford dealer.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Thanks again Cline. I am trying to learn all I can about my 2007 F-150. The truck runs and sounds great -- for the moment. I am aware it is a ticking time bomb. I cannot justify spending $2500 on a $5000 work truck. My local mechanic suggested 10w-30 HM oil, like MaxLife. He tells me "If he was going to guess, I should easily get another 50K out of it". It currently has 190K. He sounded pretty confident, but I think he might be overly optimistic.

Final question: in your experience, is reaching 250K even a possiblity here? Or would you think failure is almost imminent? If so, I am putting it up for sale.

Being a Mechanic....Everything I see is broke
lol.gif
. However I can just about promise you the Tensioner Seals are blown out. Poor maintenance has little or nothing to do with the seals. Pressure, Time, & Heat is all it takes.
*The lowest mileage one I've seen with blown seals had @ 90K miles.
*The Highest mileage one with intact seals had @ 160K miles.

Another 50K is a possibility especially if the engine is quiet, You could have the oil pressure checked @ HOT idle in gear....This is the best indicator of internal oil pressure loss.
Ford specs a minimum of 15 psi, I like to see no lower than 20 psi.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back