Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of trying Sonus Motorkote or Fluid Film for an undercarriage coating prior to going on the beach and for just general winter use. Has anyone used Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector for this purpose?

Link

I have used it extensively on several vehicles. I think that it works great. It is easy to apply and it dries to the touch but stays
flexible. Once you do your underside it stays on and only touch up is needed after that. The downside is it has a strong odor, flammable so it shouldnt be sprayed on the exhaust areas and i believe rubber areas but i may be wrong on that. Do wear a respirator. I really like the stuff.

Fluid film also works and another great option is Woolwax. Works great, not a bad odor, no respirator required, non flammable, and you can basically
spray it anywhere.

Cosmoline is another one that works great but also a little stronger when applying but used alot in the military for a long time.

Thanks. I may just power wash it when done and not use anything. That's what I've done in the past.

Find a Krown and get it oil sprayed before the winter comes. If it is your DD on salty roads, and has a dated interior you should oil spray annually.
laugh.gif

I use it on the rear wheel wells and shock mount points on our Escape as those are common rust areas for our model.

It works great, stays on there forever basically. It dries kinda orangish so be careful not to get it on plastic mounding or painted finishes. After it dries it's surprisingly hard to get off of paint.

Last edited:
Never heard of sinus motorkote as a rust inhibitor/protective material for metal.

Plenty out there on using Amsoil HDMP. Especially in the Ford Raptor world IIRC.

Fluid film will be affected by water wash, so undercarriage and wheewells/fenders is not a great place. Other items prone to rust it can do great on.

Example - some bolt heads seen in the door jamb of my 2015 Accord were showing rust. Application of FF has done great there.

Not sure what your intended outcome is. You mention beach - so driving on the beach? Otherwise not sure you really need long term protection from salt air.

The issue with Amsoil HDMP is that it is a wax, can dry, and can let moisture diffuse under it. Oils and lanolin greases are better in that regard. But to protect exposed metal surfaces from other media blast type damage, HDMP can be good and only pick up marginal dust. CRC marine corrosion protection and LPS 3 can also be considered in these applications.

Inside of doors, welds, hood/under hood, etc, oil sprays and FF can be better. They will creep more which is more of what you want, IMO. If you want to propert wax spray the inside of panels, you really need to remove the interior.

Thanks JH. I'm overthinking this. I don't think it's necessary for what I'll be doing.
cheers3.gif

This might be of benefit to someone. If you're going to go through the bother here's what I would use. Rustproofing I used the Amsoil product which was good. This stuff blows it and Fluid Film away. It comes in spray bombs too. I bought the 5 and went to town with my rustproofing gun and airless sprayer. My thinking is I would rather spend more money for a better product, especially with labor intensive messy projects like properly rustproofing a vehicle.. Trav had turned me onto the stuff and suggested I check the salt spray tests. That was the deal closer for me.

I used Amsoil HDMP the first winter on y 2011 F150. It developed some minor flash rusting on some sheet metal edges on the underbody. Switched to Fluid Film since. Works very well, but nothing is perfect in Michigan's salt mess. I like the fact that FF creeps continuously and the dirty nasty mess it builds up over time actually helps keep it in place. I'm sure HDMP works great for many things but it didn't hold up to a winter here, for me.

Originally Posted by buster
Thanks JH. I'm overthinking this. I don't think it's necessary for what I'll be doing.
cheers3.gif

Well if you have a new vehicle now is the time to think about and be proactive!

Originally Posted by buck91
I used Amsoil HDMP the first winter on y 2011 F150. It developed some minor flash rusting on some sheet metal edges on the underbody. Switched to Fluid Film since. Works very well, but nothing is perfect in Michigan's salt mess. I like the fact that FF creeps continuously and the dirty nasty mess it builds up over time actually helps keep it in place. I'm sure HDMP works great for many things but it didn't hold up to a winter here, for me.

Yeah I've long been a fan of a topcoat for wax coatings. Some will soften from it though... to me that's kind of good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back