Frontier - Rear Diff Vent Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of doing this as the OEM apparently isn't quite sufficient. Has anyone done it?

Gorilla

You need to join clubfrontier.org where the luddite fan boys hang out. That mod is pretty much a given but you don't really need to buy a kit. It seems the factory diff vent can plug and pressure build up can blow the axle seals... or something. Plus the stock vent can let water in if you go submarine.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
You need to join clubfrontier.org where the luddite fan boys hang out. That mod is pretty much a given but you don't really need to buy a kit. It seems the factory diff vent can plug and pressure build up can blow the axle seals... or something. Plus the stock vent can let water in if you go submarine.

Thanks. I did join clubfrontier I was just curious if anyone here has done it.

I doubt anyone here is into a Frontier enough to bother. I owned a 2000 Frontier, own a 2002 Xterra and was a whisker from a 2019 Pro4X until we decided it just wasn't big enough for our needs so I'm familiar with the mods etc.

The Tacoma has a very similar mod, but I think this is really only needed if you do some SERIOUS mudding or fording water.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I doubt anyone here is into a Frontier enough to bother. I owned a 2000 Frontier, own a 2002 Xterra and was a whisker from a 2019 Pro4X until we decided it just wasn't big enough for our needs so I'm familiar with the mods etc.

cheers3.gif

AZjeff, Zappa fan? I bought Joe's Garage just to hear VC on drums. Amazing.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
The Tacoma has a very similar mod, but I think this is really only needed if you do some SERIOUS mudding or fording water.

In the case of Nissan axles the vent thingie is prone to rusting or just clogging up and fails to release pressure, no hardcore offroading required. The mod is a nice little bit of insurance.

Buster have you looked at your axle? It has the little shaker cap vent? The '18 Titan has a hose and filter as it should but older models didn't.

Extreme example of rusted axle vent. Certainly could happen in Pa, maybe in NJ, unlikely in Az.
[Linked Image]

I've done it to my '05 back in '06 after it leaked out the pinion shaft (warranty fix). Did the mod, but it leaks there anyway again, so useless mod in my case. I fill a bit once a year and that's the end of the story.

I would not buy that BS kit unless you plan to ford a river. $35 for that nonsense, seriously? I paid a couple of bucks for a nipple, used some old hose I had in my junk pile, and that's it.

If you only have the nipple vent on the axle I think it makes sense to install a remote vent tube. My F150 came with a very well done remote front vent tube and a moderately well done rear vent tube (the rear is up inside one of the box cross supports). If I did heavy wheeling I might redo the rear vent and locate it even higher but all I really need is a little insurance against an "oh [censored]" scenario.

As far as the kit you are asking about, it does look VERY nice. I especially like that it comes with the correct stainless barb fitting. The fuel/air filter is a nice touch but perhaps rather excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back