Can’t get grease through a zerk fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have zerk grease fittings on my 3/4 ton Chev. On one inner tie rod end I could not get the grease to feed. I changed out the grease fitting to another one from an old package of new fittings. It would still not feed (pressured up). The rubber boot on the inner tie rod end was not full. I picked out a 2nd fitting and installed it but it would not feed. I then went to the auto store and bought a new fitting and installed it. I could still not feed grease through it. I checked the gun on another fitting on the other inner tie rod end and it fed no problem. Anyone ever run in to this type of situation? Thanks.

Last edited:
In the 70's while working at a service station doing 2-5 "GOF"s (Grease, Oil, Filter) a day, I'd get a plugged joint like that once in a while. Take it out, shoot some brake-clean in there while poking the tip in there pretty good.

I had lower ball joints replaced on the Dakota, later had a problem like that. Several grease guns, no luck getting grease into joint. Turns out the threaded portion of the zerks were too long, and bottoming out. Replacements fixed the issue.

Before you break out the heavy artillery, try having someone rock the steering back and forth while you hold pressure on the zerk. I've seen it work several times. If it starts to take grease, keep going until all the guck comes out and you can see fresh grease.

Originally Posted by Trav
Yes, you can use a tool like this one (example only, there are less expensive ones) to free the hardened grease in the joint.

https://www.zerkzapper.com/

Just looked this up... boy, they've sure got a selling point for the ladies doing their own maintenance!
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Snag have you greased that zerk in the past? Maybe the grease passage is not drilled into the ball pocket.

And now for the rest of the story. I tried a heat gun to try clear the fitting with no luck and then I purchased a Performance Tool fitting cleaner (thanks Trav for the idea). I injected some acetone, then tried to pump a bit of grease in it. A small amount went in. I left it for a month, then when I tried to grease it, I was able to inject grease with no problems. Thanks everyone for their input.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back